U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2015, 07:06 PM

4,028 posts, read 2,559,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by daneoleary View Post
They better get moving then. Won't be able to make a whole lot of progress during the winter months and that's a pretty large center to be opening in little more than a year and they've not broken ground yet. I personally would've thought Summer 2017 or later.
Clearing that massive lot full of trees will take quite a while. Maybe they'll use a really large crew to get the job done on schedule.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2015, 07:38 AM

862 posts, read 694,524 times
With so many supermarket chains merging such as Food Lion and Martins or one chain taking over another such as with Kroger and Harris Teeter for example I wonder if this could be a reason why this project has yet to break ground ?? Especially with Food Lion and Martins since Martinsburg/Berkeley County already has them. Perhaps Weis is waiting to see how that will play out ?? Many years ago I can remember the rumors going around that the Pittsburgh-based Giant Eagle chain was to take over Weis of course that never happened.

Old 07-23-2015, 05:33 PM

64 posts, read 83,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tantan1968 View Post
With so many supermarket chains merging such as Food Lion and Martins or one chain taking over another such as with Kroger and Harris Teeter for example I wonder if this could be a reason why this project has yet to break ground ?? Especially with Food Lion and Martins since Martinsburg/Berkeley County already has them. Perhaps Weis is waiting to see how that will play out ?? Many years ago I can remember the rumors going around that the Pittsburgh-based Giant Eagle chain was to take over Weis of course that never happened.
Food Lion and Martins are merging? I had no idea. Isn't Martins owned by Giant, though? So will Giant simply own the Food Lion brand or will all Food Lions become Martins? Since Martinsburg/Berkeley County has so many Food Lion locations already, I wouldn't imagine that they'd all suddenly become Martins, especially since they're all so small compared to the size of a Martins or Giant grocery store.

Old 07-23-2015, 07:44 PM

862 posts, read 694,524 times
Quote:
Food Lion and Martins are merging? I had no idea. Isn't Martins owned by Giant, though? So will Giant simply own the Food Lion brand or will all Food Lions become Martins? Since Martinsburg/Berkeley County has so many Food Lion locations already, I wouldn't imagine that they'd all suddenly become Martins, especially since they're all so small compared to the size of a Martins or Giant grocery store.

Martins & Food Lion..from Richmond's channel 12 WWBT

Food Lion and Martin's set to merge - NBC12 - WWBT - Richmond, VA News On Your Side

Old 07-23-2015, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantan1968 View Post
"They need to not take away my Food Lion. I need my Food Lion!" Wiggins exclaims.

I kind of see them maintaining two brands for the time being since they're both clearly successful.

Old 07-27-2015, 04:00 PM

33 posts, read 34,220 times
Basically, there is an ongoing consolidation of economic power and distribution system size in various nations such as Belgium and the Netherlands, which are rather small in terms of territory but which have extremely large and wealthy trade banks. Belgians recently bought up Anheuser-Busch and Budweiser is now a Belgian beer, in a roundabout way. Royal Ahold owns Giant, Martins, some other chains up in New England and I think they also own at least one chain of stop-and-shop type stores. Food Lion seems to be 3 out of 4 grocery stores in this area and both they and Martins seem to have been competing in the economy market so both of them are probably getting squeezed so badly that they will both profit by not competing. I wonder how long this is going to take to get through the SEC and Anti-Trust agencies in the Federal bailiwick.

Old 08-04-2015, 12:13 PM

It looks like the East side of Martinsburg is getting a grocery store as well: Walmart Neighborhood Market.

Plans advance for new grocery store near Martinsburg - Herald Mail Media: West Virginia

Old 08-05-2015, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dequindre View Post
It looks like the East side of Martinsburg is getting a grocery store as well: Walmart Neighborhood Market.

Plans advance for new grocery store near Martinsburg - Herald Mail Media: West Virginia
That's a good area for something like that as I feel there are many neighborhoods and residential areas off route 45 and very little businesses to accommodate them. A grocery store there would give those people a more convenient alternative to the Shepherdstown Food Lion and the Courthouse Square Food Lion or Weis in Martinsburg.

I must say, though, that I was completely unaware that there were Walmart grocery stores. Am I correct in assuming that it's essentially a Walmart that contains only the market/grocery section without the clothes, electronics, household goods, garden & auto sections, etc.? If that's the case, I'm actually moderately surprised that Walmart didn't start doing this a lot sooner. I feel like these Walmart Neighborhood Market stores have the potential to convert those who stick their noses up at Walmart, especially if they're going to also have gas pumps like Martins; this makes me think that they will offer some sort of rewards program where you can accrue gas discounts from buying groceries there.

Old 08-05-2015, 11:06 AM

Quote:
That's a good area for something like that as I feel there are many neighborhoods and residential areas off route 45 and very little businesses to accommodate them. A grocery store there would give those people a more convenient alternative to the Shepherdstown Food Lion and the Courthouse Square Food Lion or Weis in Martinsburg.

I must say, though, that I was completely unaware that there were Walmart grocery stores. Am I correct in assuming that it's essentially a Walmart that contains only the market/grocery section without the clothes, electronics, household goods, garden & auto sections, etc.? If that's the case, I'm actually moderately surprised that Walmart didn't start doing this a lot sooner. I feel like these Walmart Neighborhood Market stores have the potential to convert those who stick their noses up at Walmart, especially if they're going to also have gas pumps like Martins; this makes me think that they will offer some sort of rewards program where you can accrue gas discounts from buying groceries there.
I think the Neighborhood Markets have the grocery, household cleaners, and a small cosmetics section (everything that a Food Lion would have). Another convenient thing about the Neighborhood Markets is that they have a drive-up pharmacy window, which is great for the elderly.

Old 08-05-2015, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dequindre View Post
I think the Neighborhood Markets have the grocery, household cleaners, and a small cosmetics section (everything that a Food Lion would have). Another convenient thing about the Neighborhood Markets is that they have a drive-up pharmacy window, which is great for the elderly.
I probably would've assumed that they'd have those sorts of things, too. That's a really good idea on Walmart's part. Now that I'm aware of the existence of Walmart grocery stores, I'm kind of surprised they didn't do this sooner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia