Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2014, 04:55 PM

2,919 posts, read 3,187,379 times

Advertisements

If I could find some lower priced real estate around or outside of Morgantown, that would be high on my list, but I been hard pressed to find anything in my price range with a little acreage around that area. IDK.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2014, 08:47 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,044,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starrider434 View Post
If I could find some lower priced real estate around or outside of Morgantown, that would be high on my list, but I been hard pressed to find anything in my price range with a little acreage around that area. IDK.
There is a reason for that... a lot of people want to be here so there is a demand for property. You might check out Fairmont. That is a short 15 minute drive and real estate prices are lower in Marion County. Alternatively, you could check out the rural western parts of Monongalia County near Blacksville. Prices are lower there too, and they happen to have a wonderful German restaurant there as well. It is a relatively short drive to Morgantown from there.

Old 08-08-2014, 09:37 PM

yea I reckon..I have been looking on the outskirts, inventory for homes is pretty low though....What is the general opinion on Charleston WV? I have read that Huntington is not very friendly, and folks tend to be aloof, and that the city has become like a little Detroit,.....and is not a place I should consider....but I know nothing about Charleston. Any thing good to say that city? Seeing as Morgantown is above my price range.

Last edited by folkguitarist555; 08-08-2014 at 09:59 PM..

Old 08-09-2014, 05:37 AM

4,954 posts, read 8,952,889 times
It sounds like the stuff you are reading about Huntington must be from the [domain blocked due to spam] forum and if that is the case, I wouldn't trust that information. Huntington has it's issues just like any city but these problems are being addressed and things are getting better here. One of the things Huntington is known for is its friendly people. Due to having Marshall University here, we are used to people coming in from out of town and as long as they are friendly and inviting, the people here are the same. Most complaints about Huntington come from people who don't even live in the city. Being someone who actually lives here, this is a great town that is getting better every year.

Old 08-13-2014, 07:54 PM

thanks I was looking at a home for sale in Grayson KY, not far from Huntington, and the realtor on the phone did not seem to have many nice things to say about Huntington to be honest....or Ashland....they sort of put as it they are go there out of sheer necessity, and that people were not "southern friendly" there....just got a feeling that the realtor simply did not like Huntington at all.....

Old 08-13-2014, 07:55 PM

which is the nicer, safer and friendlier city? Huntington or Charleston? The crime rating on one particular website, has a 3 out of a 100 rating for Huntington, a rating of a 100...being the safest.

Old 08-14-2014, 07:51 AM

1,642 posts, read 2,421,483 times
I've lived in Parkersburg, Morgantown, Huntington, and have spend a large amount of time in and around Charleston. I like all those places and any of them are safe and full of good people. From a personal perspective, if you don't deal with anything that you shouldn't be in the first place (see: drugs), Huntington, as well as Charleston, is a perfectly safe place. And I live right in town, too. I see people out and about, running in the park, walking their dogs down the sidewalks, biking downtown, relaxing by the river, etc. It's a great place to have dinner, go to the movies or a festival, etc. Also, everyone I've come across is very friendly and open. And back to the safety aspect, as you'll be further out of town, you shouldn't have to worry about crime at all. People like to paint Huntington as anything from little Detroit to the setting to a post-Apocalyptic movie. That couldn't be further from the truth. That comes from people who live outside the city, only come as close as the Mall five miles away, and think that what they hear on the news (which only ever reports crime anymore anyway) is a blanket description for the entire town. The realtor you talked to is probably this type, and is probably latching onto memories of decades past when Huntington was indeed a bit rougher. It's much different than it was then and is getting better by the day.

And about "southern friendly." That gentility is great if you're a tourist or just passing through. But in day-to-day life, a lot of it is used to veil feelings and is insincere. But the moment you say what you actually feel or are straight-up with people, they get often get offended over the littlest slight or sarcasm. In West Virginia, we are friendly and will give you anything if you are in need. But if you are doing something stupid, we aren't afraid to tell you.

Old 08-14-2014, 07:18 PM

4,954 posts, read 8,952,889 times
I couldn't have said it better elewis!

Old 08-14-2014, 08:18 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,044,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elewis7 View Post
I've lived in Parkersburg, Morgantown, Huntington, and have spend a large amount of time in and around Charleston. I like all those places and any of them are safe and full of good people. From a personal perspective, if you don't deal with anything that you shouldn't be in the first place (see: drugs), Huntington, as well as Charleston, is a perfectly safe place. And I live right in town, too. I see people out and about, running in the park, walking their dogs down the sidewalks, biking downtown, relaxing by the river, etc. It's a great place to have dinner, go to the movies or a festival, etc. Also, everyone I've come across is very friendly and open. And back to the safety aspect, as you'll be further out of town, you shouldn't have to worry about crime at all. People like to paint Huntington as anything from little Detroit to the setting to a post-Apocalyptic movie. That couldn't be further from the truth. That comes from people who live outside the city, only come as close as the Mall five miles away, and think that what they hear on the news (which only ever reports crime anymore anyway) is a blanket description for the entire town. The realtor you talked to is probably this type, and is probably latching onto memories of decades past when Huntington was indeed a bit rougher. It's much different than it was then and is getting better by the day.

And about "southern friendly." That gentility is great if you're a tourist or just passing through. But in day-to-day life, a lot of it is used to veil feelings and is insincere. But the moment you say what you actually feel or are straight-up with people, they get often get offended over the littlest slight or sarcasm. In West Virginia, we are friendly and will give you anything if you are in need. But if you are doing something stupid, we aren't afraid to tell you.
I have extensive experience with all those cities with the exception of Parkersburg, and I have some familiarity with there too. I agree with this 100%. Basically, any place in our state is safe. That said, we have a couple million people hanging out here. From time to time things happen, just like anyplace else. That's when folks looking for a reason to paint a negative picture pounce. Ignore that, and look at the bottom line. You could count the number of murders that happen in any city in our state in a year on one hand ... much less that that most of the time. That is actually exceptional in this day and age of drugs, unbridled access to illegal aliens, and gang activity. West Virginia is absolutely a safe place to live, and that includes all of West Virginia.

Old 08-15-2014, 07:10 PM

that is good about WV, that is has not yet been invaded with hordes of illegals, and that it is relatively safe still, that cannot be said for most of the USA, imo, these days. Retirees are scrambling, looking for low cost, low crime places to retire to, I see on CD, and seems like we are all hard pressed to find that sort of place in the USA anymore...sadly, imo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia