Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 08:12 AM

48 posts, read 99,306 times

Advertisements

This excludes (very unfortunately) Clarksburg/Bridgeport which I really like, as well as the city of Charleston, which I will visit next time.

I'm in love with the Summersville Lake region, the people are very down to earth, friendly but not too much so, but the lake is the real gem with clean water and cliffs to jump off (now they're trying to fine people 5k lol let's see that hold up in court). The speed traps are annoying but they seem to stick to writing tickets (as opposed to up north they would be searching everyone's vehicles as well).

Not to mention some other swimming holes nearbye going towards Richwood etc..., speaking of which how in the hell is Richwood so bombed out (every downtown store is closed/for sale) being that it's so close to the best all-around recreational area in the state of West Virginia? The entire downtown of Richwood is apparently for sale!

Now I read all about the mining and logging companies leaving and the town falling on hard times, but come ON!! It's a beautiful location, only 2 hours from the biggest city and close to Summersville Lake, Gauley, New River!

Not that I like tourist traps but this would be an affluent type of resort or tourist town if this was in another part of the country. Nestled in the hills absolute beautiful scenery and only 40 minutes from Summersville Lake!! I just can't understand it.

There's Fayetteville the self-proclaimed "coolest little town in WV" but is it it really that kool? No, I don't think so. I suppose Fayetteville is an option but nahhh I don't think so.

I just can't believe there's not a medium sized town within striking distance of Summersville Lake!

Maybe it's because it's too close to Charleston and Clarksburg/Bridgeport; both being about an 1.5 hrs away. I guess in a way it's good not to have too much development since West Virginia is Wild and Wonderful, but it's truly amazing to me that this type recreational heaven including not only the lake (which is essentially a dream lake aside from the motor boats preventing me from long distance swimming to the islands) but also the kayaking on the Gauley and New Rivers, as well as fishing etc... cannot support a couple decent towns within a half hour or so. They do have a decent Mexican restaurant that gets mobbed (and it's only decent) that tells me this area is ready for some new stuff! I guess I should start the development myself and stop complaining!

Just noticed Beckley is not too far, is there anyone here from Beckley... How do you like it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2014, 08:05 AM

6,068 posts, read 9,091,285 times
Richwood is off the beaten path. Tourism is really the only modern business that would stand a chance there. A ski resort would work perfectly there because of the elevation and amounts of snow.

Beckley is a nice city and has a lot in terms of retail and restaurants.

I'd recommend Fayetteville. Best location, plus not far from Charleston, Beckley, or Summersville. You are at the New River's front door, and the area is growing.

Old 07-17-2014, 01:24 AM

10,147 posts, read 15,036,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringomania View Post
This excludes (very unfortunately) Clarksburg/Bridgeport which I really like, as well as the city of Charleston, which I will visit next time.

I'm in love with the Summersville Lake region, the people are very down to earth, friendly but not too much so, but the lake is the real gem with clean water and cliffs to jump off (now they're trying to fine people 5k lol let's see that hold up in court). The speed traps are annoying but they seem to stick to writing tickets (as opposed to up north they would be searching everyone's vehicles as well).

Not to mention some other swimming holes nearbye going towards Richwood etc..., speaking of which how in the hell is Richwood so bombed out (every downtown store is closed/for sale) being that it's so close to the best all-around recreational area in the state of West Virginia? The entire downtown of Richwood is apparently for sale!

Now I read all about the mining and logging companies leaving and the town falling on hard times, but come ON!! It's a beautiful location, only 2 hours from the biggest city and close to Summersville Lake, Gauley, New River!

Not that I like tourist traps but this would be an affluent type of resort or tourist town if this was in another part of the country. Nestled in the hills absolute beautiful scenery and only 40 minutes from Summersville Lake!! I just can't understand it.

There's Fayetteville the self-proclaimed "coolest little town in WV" but is it it really that kool? No, I don't think so. I suppose Fayetteville is an option but nahhh I don't think so.

I just can't believe there's not a medium sized town within striking distance of Summersville Lake!

Maybe it's because it's too close to Charleston and Clarksburg/Bridgeport; both being about an 1.5 hrs away. I guess in a way it's good not to have too much development since West Virginia is Wild and Wonderful, but it's truly amazing to me that this type recreational heaven including not only the lake (which is essentially a dream lake aside from the motor boats preventing me from long distance swimming to the islands) but also the kayaking on the Gauley and New Rivers, as well as fishing etc... cannot support a couple decent towns within a half hour or so. They do have a decent Mexican restaurant that gets mobbed (and it's only decent) that tells me this area is ready for some new stuff! I guess I should start the development myself and stop complaining!

Just noticed Beckley is not too far, is there anyone here from Beckley... How do you like it?
Just wondering if you are visiting that area now? It does have some very nice, remote rivers and as you mentioned, the lake but there are some things you should consider before locating there. I'm not sure how far you live from civilization now, but the vibe of that place becomes very different when summer is over. It is one heck of a hike to Clarksburg in one direction, or to Charleston in another, and there aren't many folks in Fayette County to begin with. The most recent population projections have that county losing 2,000 residents in the next 15 years. In the winter Fayette resembles the proverbial ghost town. Give it a few months and you will think that Mexican restaurant crowded with summer river rafters is 5 stars considering the competition in that area. Beckley is more developed than Fayette, and it is actually a pretty nice town. You should drive over and visit the place and decide if it has what you want and it is close enough for you from Summersville. Beckley is 46 miles from Summersville, and according to MapQuest it can be driven in 51 minutes.

There is a reason there isn't a town of any size near there. Other than the river and lake experiences, the area has next to nothing else to offer, and it is much removed from significant population centers. Most folks won't be wanting to spend their lives in a raft or kayak past the once in awhile outing. However, if you are one who does, you just might have found your haven.

That said, there is little doubt that the Gauley and New areas offer the most remote recreation area in West Virginia. So if solace is what you are seeking, that might be the place for you. It projects to get even lonelier. But, if you want really nice recreation areas that are also close to civilization, and you aren't hung up on state lines, North Central WV has outstanding offerings. White watering in this region is not as remote as Fayette, but the mountains are higher and there is great white water for kayaking on the Cheat River as well as nearby Upper Youghiogheny and Lower Youghiogheny River in nearby PA and Maryland. There is also lovely Deep Creek Lake in Maryland for swimming in addition to Cheat Lake with really nice restaurants nearby. In fact, you'd be almost as close to Pittsburgh from there as you would be to any city of significant size from Fayette, and they have 2,000 restaurants in Pittsburgh.

Ultimately your choice is between relative solitude and more development.

Old 07-17-2014, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
That said, there is little doubt that the Gauley and New areas offer the most remote recreation area in West Virginia.

I wouldn't say that. In fact, that area is probably one of the more promoted and traveled through recreation areas in the state. US 19 is the shortcut route for travelers going between Western PA and the South. The Fayetteville and Oak Hill are developing along with the Beckley area. In fact, they are more connected in terms of commerce and physical development than the NCWV corridor. https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=F...ra=ls&t=m&z=11 The town of Fayetteville is growing http://www.city-data.com/city/Fayett...-Virginia.html, and is becoming an outdoorsman paradise. The area now offers some of the best zip lines in the world, along with the already outstanding rafting scene. Plus the town has the essentials covered: Walmart, Lowe's, etc... Beckley has your regional chains and a fairly nice mall. Plus WV's very own Tamarack Tamarack - The Best of West Virginia

Fayetteville is only an hour drive from Charleston, so going there is not a tall task at all. https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=F...=h&mra=ls&z=10

Of course Summersville Lake is close by, and is one of the best (if not the best) lake we have in WV. The only lake where sailing is common.

Also Hawk's Nest State Park is there. Hawks Nest State Park

The Kanawha Falls/Gauley Bridge recreation area is also an impressive and beautiful park and historic area.

Only 1 hour 1/2 from Cranberry Glades, which is an amazing natural habitat uncommon to the lower US. Some great trout fishing, hiking, and scenic drives.Pocahontas County | Cranberry Glades/Nature Center

You are only 2 1/2 hours from Snowshoe Mountain (which is arguably the best ski resort in the East). I would agree with that despite living in the Adirondacks right now. By Snowshoe, the door opens up for Cass, Greenbank, Marlington, and even Lewisburg and Elkins. Literally you are in the middle of the state, and within short driving distance to most of our state's major recreational areas.

Plus the Boy Scouts liked the area so much they decided to build there National Camp here:
Summit Experience | The Summit Bechtel Reserve
The Bechtel Summit - YouTube

Here are some more helpful links:

Fayetteville West Virginia Vacation and Travel PlanningVisit Fayetteville WV ‹ 304-574-1500

Fayetteville, West Virginia - National Geographic Adventure Magazine

Fayetteville, West Virginia | Travel Deals, Travel Tips, Travel Advice, Vacation Ideas | Budget Travel

Welcome

New River Gorge National River (U.S. National Park Service)

Gauley River National Recreation Area (U.S. National Park Service)

West Virginia White Water Rafting, Family Vacations, and Outdoor Adventures | Adventures on the Gorge

White Water Rafting West Virginia with ACE Adventure Resort

Treetops Canopy Tour New River Gorge West Virginia - Adventures on the Gorge

Summersville Lake Retreat

City Of Beckley, WV

Old 07-18-2014, 12:03 AM

1,229 posts, read 858,900 times
Quote:
Just wondering if you are visiting that area now? It does have some very nice, remote rivers and as you mentioned, the lake but there are some things you should consider before locating there. I'm not sure how far you live from civilization now, but the vibe of that place becomes very different when summer is over. It is one heck of a hike to Clarksburg in one direction, or to Charleston in another, and there aren't many folks in Fayette County to begin with. The most recent population projections have that county losing 2,000 residents in the next 15 years. In the winter Fayette resembles the proverbial ghost town. Give it a few months and you will think that Mexican restaurant crowded with summer river rafters is 5 stars considering the competition in that area. Beckley is more developed than Fayette, and it is actually a pretty nice town. You should drive over and visit the place and decide if it has what you want and it is close enough for you from Summersville. Beckley is 46 miles from Summersville, and according to MapQuest it can be driven in 51 minutes.

There is a reason there isn't a town of any size near there. Other than the river and lake experiences, the area has next to nothing else to offer, and it is much removed from significant population centers. Most folks won't be wanting to spend their lives in a raft or kayak past the once in awhile outing. However, if you are one who does, you just might have found your haven.

That said, there is little doubt that the Gauley and New areas offer the most remote recreation area in West Virginia. So if solace is what you are seeking, that might be the place for you. It projects to get even lonelier. But, if you want really nice recreation areas that are also close to civilization, and you aren't hung up on state lines, North Central WV has outstanding offerings. White watering in this region is not as remote as Fayette, but the mountains are higher and there is great white water for kayaking on the Cheat River as well as nearby Upper Youghiogheny and Lower Youghiogheny River in nearby PA and Maryland. There is also lovely Deep Creek Lake in Maryland for swimming in addition to Cheat Lake with really nice restaurants nearby. In fact, you'd be almost as close to Pittsburgh from there as you would be to any city of significant size from Fayette, and they have 2,000 restaurants in Pittsburgh.

Never been to the Summersville Lake area - but the state tourism guide does an excellent job highlighting it as a neat summer-time retreat.

After spending nearly 17 years a stones throw away from the wild and scenic Rogue River{which could be considered as the west coast version of the Gauley/New} - I would never consider living in an isolated place like that again. I know many many folks who came up, fell in love with the place on their vacation and decided to uproot and move - most regretted and/or were forced out for a variety of reasons. One thing to really pay attention to is - do the indigenous/native teenagers who graduate from high school there leave and ever come back to re-populate the area?

In the context of one's profession and financial status, very few folks can duplicate what they had/made in a metro-area. Other problems are lack of culture and lack of specialized medical care should one need to be treated. Another thing to consider is the practice of nepotism - it usually exists in great abundance in places like this.

Last edited by At-Chilles; 07-18-2014 at 12:17 AM..

Old 07-18-2014, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
I wouldn't say that. In fact, that area is probably one of the more promoted and traveled through recreation areas in the state. US 19 is the shortcut route for travelers going between Western PA and the South. The Fayetteville and Oak Hill are developing along with the Beckley area. In fact, they are more connected in terms of commerce and physical development than the NCWV corridor. https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=F...ra=ls&t=m&z=11 The town of Fayetteville is growing http://www.city-data.com/city/Fayett...-Virginia.html, and is becoming an outdoorsman paradise. The area now offers some of the best zip lines in the world, along with the already outstanding rafting scene. Plus the town has the essentials covered: Walmart, Lowe's, etc... Beckley has your regional chains and a fairly nice mall. Plus WV's very own Tamarack Tamarack - The Best of West Virginia

Fayetteville is only an hour drive from Charleston, so going there is not a tall task at all. https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=F...=h&mra=ls&z=10

Of course Summersville Lake is close by, and is one of the best (if not the best) lake we have in WV. The only lake where sailing is common.

Also Hawk's Nest State Park is there. Hawks Nest State Park

The Kanawha Falls/Gauley Bridge recreation area is also an impressive and beautiful park and historic area.

Only 1 hour 1/2 from Cranberry Glades, which is an amazing natural habitat uncommon to the lower US. Some great trout fishing, hiking, and scenic drives.Pocahontas County | Cranberry Glades/Nature Center

You are only 2 1/2 hours from Snowshoe Mountain (which is arguably the best ski resort in the East). I would agree with that despite living in the Adirondacks right now. By Snowshoe, the door opens up for Cass, Greenbank, Marlington, and even Lewisburg and Elkins. Literally you are in the middle of the state, and within short driving distance to most of our state's major recreational areas.

Plus the Boy Scouts liked the area so much they decided to build there National Camp here:
Summit Experience | The Summit Bechtel Reserve
The Bechtel Summit - YouTube

Here are some more helpful links:

Fayetteville West Virginia Vacation and Travel PlanningVisit Fayetteville WV ‹ 304-574-1500

Fayetteville, West Virginia - National Geographic Adventure Magazine

Fayetteville, West Virginia | Travel Deals, Travel Tips, Travel Advice, Vacation Ideas | Budget Travel

Welcome

New River Gorge National River (U.S. National Park Service)

Gauley River National Recreation Area (U.S. National Park Service)

West Virginia White Water Rafting, Family Vacations, and Outdoor Adventures | Adventures on the Gorge

White Water Rafting West Virginia with ACE Adventure Resort

Treetops Canopy Tour New River Gorge West Virginia - Adventures on the Gorge

Summersville Lake Retreat

City Of Beckley, WV
I agree with most of what you are saying. There is no question that the Route 19 Corridor is the most promoted by the state in terms of tourism. The state hardly spends any money promoting the absolutely wonderful tourist attractions in the northern tier. However, promotion does not necessarily = better. It depends on what one is seeking. The best "park" in West Virginia is Oglebay hands down, but the state spends next to nothing promoting it.

I have the impression he isn't looking just for state parks. There are great state parks spread over most of the state (The Northern Panhandle gets the shaft in this area, but they more than make up for it themselves). The reason Summersville Lake has more sailboating is sail boats can function easily there since there is less motorized boat traffic. Nothing wrong with that, mind you, it's just that there are different sorts of users involved than you have at Grafton or Cheat Lake, and the lower hills surrounding Summersville lend themselves to creating more stable wind conditions on that lake. You could easily kayak in any of the lakes in the state.

I am puzzled by your Fayetteville - Beckley being somehow more "interconnected" than NCWV? If you mean the folks in Fayetteville have to go to Beckley for many commercial activities, I can agree with that. There is nothing any closer to them than Beckley. But, there is a TON more commercial activity in NCWV than there is in Beckley and Fayetteville combined, and it is much more accessable from the recreation areas than Beckley is from Fayetteville, as well as being spread out in clusters so that extraordinary things are available in three locations rather than having to hike to one central one. I'm not saying an hour or an hour and a half is all that much time, but you sure wouldn't want to have to make that trip on a regular basis just to get things you couldn't find in Fayetteville.

I don't disagree with you that Beckley is a nice place to live. It is the only place south of Sutton where I would consider it viable from my point of view. It is a safe town with some nice attributes. Spending around 2 hours (round trip) getting to and from Summersville Lake though? Well, like I said, he should check it out for himself and decide. My own opinion is there are better alternatives further north.

Since our state is inherently political and the New/Gauley region spends most of it's political capital getting state government to promote tourism there, business people in other parts of the state have to pick up the slack themselves and pay for their own...

http://www.cheatriveroutfitters.com/

http://coopersrockclimbingguides.com/

http://adventurechallenge.wvu.edu/canopy-tour

http://paddling.about.com/od/scoutin...heat_River.htm

http://www.ohiopyletradingpost.com/

http://www.coopersrockstateforest.com/

http://deepcreeklake.com/

The nice thing about these activities is they are literally a hop, skip, and jump from Morgantown...

http://www.morgantownwv.gov/

http://www.morgantownwv.gov/about/awards/

http://www.montrails.org/maps.shtml

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMn-uWPaMyY

Last edited by CTMountaineer; 07-18-2014 at 12:52 AM..

Old 07-18-2014, 07:27 AM

16,661 posts, read 15,654,903 times
Oglebay isn't a State Park. I wouldn't expect the State to be advertising it the same way they do the Parks the State operates.

Incidentally, virtually anything a person would need commercially is available in Beckley. The area around Beckley seems to be just big enough to support all the stores it takes to make an area commercially independent.

BTW, Fayetteville is home to two of West Virginia's gems. "Pies& Pints" and "Bridge Brew Works."

Old 07-18-2014, 08:31 AM

Quote:
I agree with most of what you are saying. There is no question that the Route 19 Corridor is the most promoted by the state in terms of tourism. The state hardly spends any money promoting the absolutely wonderful tourist attractions in the northern tier. However, promotion does not necessarily = better. It depends on what one is seeking. The best "park" in West Virginia is Oglebay hands down, but the state spends next to nothing promoting it.

I have the impression he isn't looking just for state parks. There are great state parks spread over most of the state (The Northern Panhandle gets the shaft in this area, but they more than make up for it themselves). The reason Summersville Lake has more sailboating is sail boats can function easily there since there is less motorized boat traffic. Nothing wrong with that, mind you, it's just that there are different sorts of users involved than you have at Grafton or Cheat Lake, and the lower hills surrounding Summersville lend themselves to creating more stable wind conditions on that lake. You could easily kayak in any of the lakes in the state.

I am puzzled by your Fayetteville - Beckley being somehow more "interconnected" than NCWV? If you mean the folks in Fayetteville have to go to Beckley for many commercial activities, I can agree with that. There is nothing any closer to them than Beckley. But, there is a TON more commercial activity in NCWV than there is in Beckley and Fayetteville combined, and it is much more accessable from the recreation areas than Beckley is from Fayetteville, as well as being spread out in clusters so that extraordinary things are available in three locations rather than having to hike to one central one. I'm not saying an hour or an hour and a half is all that much time, but you sure wouldn't want to have to make that trip on a regular basis just to get things you couldn't find in Fayetteville.

I don't disagree with you that Beckley is a nice place to live. It is the only place south of Sutton where I would consider it viable from my point of view. It is a safe town with some nice attributes. Spending around 2 hours (round trip) getting to and from Summersville Lake though? Well, like I said, he should check it out for himself and decide. My own opinion is there are better alternatives further north.

Since our state is inherently political and the New/Gauley region spends most of it's political capital getting state government to promote tourism there, business people in other parts of the state have to pick up the slack themselves and pay for their own...
I don't know why you fell compelled to make every thread into a NCWV is better than everything thread. The OP is interested in being close to Summersville Lake, that is very evident, so recommending Morgantown as a "better" option just shows your bias towards things that aren't what you like. The New River area is among the best recreation in the East, so you downgrading it is rather funny. I live in the Adirondacks now and know all about solid recreation from my hiking and climbing experiences here as well as in Vermont, and I still give the Fayetteville area a huge nod in terms of great recreation! I don't know CT what your hobbies are, but I am passionate about outdoor recreation and know a thing or two on good places to visit. NCWV has a few spots, one being the Stonewall Lake area where my parents have a house. Another being around Cheat Lake and Coopers Rock. But overall Central WV, the Eastern Panhandle, and the 219 corridor are the best tourism areas in the state.

For the original poster, Fayetteville is a great place with a lot of recreation. If you feel comfortable living in an area that is not a thriving city, but has the basic needs covered, then this is a great option. Summersville another good town, it just has less charm in my opinion.

Old 07-18-2014, 10:39 AM

46 posts, read 67,754 times
Hey to Gringomania, It's nice to hear that you like the Summersville Lake area. It is a nice place and yes I'm bias because I live just outside of Summersville.

Just wanted to add to the other comments about our wonderful state. West Virginia isn't for everyone. Good jobs are hard to come by, the economy here is slow as is commercial growth. The state is definitely split as far as culture goes(in my humble opinion). Sutton is sort of a dividing line for that. I think that has been well documented on this forum.

The southern part of our state does take a beating and it is a hard sell for folks for many reasons. Sounds as though you are an outdoors kind of person and if you are then you've came to the right state! Our state does offer a lot in that area. Come down and get a cabin somewhere or a hotel room and stay for a week and check us out.

I grew up in Fayette county just outside of Ansted I moved to Florida and lived there for many many years. I couldn't wait to move back! That being said I guess one would have to grow up here to understand that.

WV is a great place to live, just do your homework and find a place that you think will suit you the best. Sounds like from your original post that you have some good ideas on what your looking for.

Fair warning, WV will get into you blood you will either love it or hate it!

Good luck!!

Old 07-18-2014, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Oglebay isn't a State Park. I wouldn't expect the State to be advertising it the same way they do the Parks the State operates.

Incidentally, virtually anything a person would need commercially is available in Beckley. The area around Beckley seems to be just big enough to support all the stores it takes to make an area commercially independent.

BTW, Fayetteville is home to two of West Virginia's gems. "Pies& Pints" and "Bridge Brew Works."
The outfitters in Fayetteville don't work for the state either. The state doesn't operate the attractions they promote there either. There is absolutely no logical reason they shouldn't be promoting Oglebay with the same zeal they promote those other attractions. The reason this happens is political, ... pure and simple.

At the same time, I really don't think Oglebay cares all that much. They essentially have operated at capacity for decades.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia