Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2014, 08:25 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,044,974 times

Advertisements

We do not have Harvard here, or MIT either, but overall our state's higher education system rates higher than that in Massachusetts according to one study. Top to bottom, West Virginia higher education is right up there with the best of them.

Which States Have The Best Colleges (INFOGRAPHIC)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2014, 09:14 AM

1,017 posts, read 1,492,154 times
according to them, the two best colleges in WV are OVU and ABC.

OVU is financially unstable and ABC offers a grand total of two majors...

They also have Bluefield State ranked higher than WVU

Best College Comparison - Rankings & Reviews | FindTheBest

Old 08-15-2014, 03:31 PM

4,954 posts, read 8,952,889 times
Moderator cut: quoted post deleted

If you are referring to the post by mattec, he was merely referencing the data used to make the list in the link you posted. If you are disputing what he's posting then you are disputing the article you used to start this thread.

Last edited by mensaguy; 08-15-2014 at 03:46 PM.. Reason: Trying to keep the thread civil.

Old 08-15-2014, 03:50 PM

16,673 posts, read 15,672,301 times
I looked at the link, but was unable to find any data to support the rankings, so how they arrived at there results is a mystery.

Old 08-16-2014, 11:22 AM

941 posts, read 1,355,520 times
So it looks like they have used their "smart rating" of each college to compare each state. West Virginia, Maine, and Montana contain schools with the "most consistent" smart rating, with other states having very low quality schools with low ratings to bring them down. (Disclaimer: This is mostly speculation, and it required me to look up the ratings of each school individually and acquire an average.)

So what we might be able to conclude from this data, is that WV is one of 3 states in the USA to have a very consistent "smart rating." For anyone who is curious, here is their rating methodology: 2014 Best Colleges Ratings Methodology - FindTheBest Colleges

Old 08-16-2014, 11:41 AM

1,017 posts, read 1,492,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PynballWyzyrd View Post
So it looks like they have used their "smart rating" of each college to compare each state. West Virginia, Maine, and Montana contain schools with the "most consistent" smart rating, with other states having very low quality schools with low ratings to bring them down. (Disclaimer: This is mostly speculation, and it required me to look up the ratings of each school individually and acquire an average.)

So what we might be able to conclude from this data, is that WV is one of 3 states in the USA to have a very consistent "smart rating." For anyone who is curious, here is their rating methodology: 2014 Best Colleges Ratings Methodology - FindTheBest Colleges
The issue though, is that they're including everything from Harvard to Bertha's Beauty Academy. So very populated states tend to be punished because they have more private for-profit and trade schools that can drag scores down.

Also, what is a smart rating? How do you come to the conclusion that ABC should be rated higher than Marshall or WVU?

Old 08-17-2014, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
Moderator cut: quoted post deleted

If you are referring to the post by mattec, he was merely referencing the data used to make the list in the link you posted. If you are disputing what he's posting then you are disputing the article you used to start this thread.
Yeah, I don't doubt that the criteria used here is highly dubious, nor do I really think the for profit enterprises actually belong in the group, but I do believe the institutions in West Virginia, overall, are as good as those in other states. A lot of these states have tons of religiously affiliated schools where virtually no research is conducted, and where the main function served is the kids go to school with others of the same orientation. In fact, I actually taught part time for one such school in New York. I'm not suggesting that the education in such schools isn't valid, I'm saying folks are paying a whole lot of money for an education that isn't any better than in publically affiliated schools and the value received for value given don't match up as well. That goes for even some of the "high brow" schools like Vasser and Bard.

Unless you belong to their group of the year that they want to feel good about propping up, you will be paying an incredible fortune to go to school there to hang out with rich people, but unless your father hooks you up in the company business, or your uncle's sponsored non profit where you can make a 6 figure income while your workers make minimum wage, you are not going to make any more money in your job than someone who paid 1/4 the money to go to State.

Old 08-17-2014, 10:59 AM

941 posts, read 1,355,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattec View Post
The issue though, is that they're including everything from Harvard to Bertha's Beauty Academy. So very populated states tend to be punished because they have more private for-profit and trade schools that can drag scores down.

Also, what is a smart rating? How do you come to the conclusion that ABC should be rated higher than Marshall or WVU?
Hahaha is Bertha's Beauty Academy really on there?!?!

Also the "smart rating" is based on their methodology. I posted that above.

Old 08-17-2014, 02:35 PM

3,265 posts, read 1,414,368 times
You can no doubt get a very fine education at WVU, Marshall, and some of the other smaller schools around the state....equal in quality to what you could get at other schools generally considered to be academically superior. I think the student him/herself is the most important factor in education quality...not the name on the school. However, I do think that graduates of WV schools do face more of a perception issue about the quality of their degrees compared to say grads of UNC, UVA, Cal, etc.

Old 08-17-2014, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVNomad View Post
You can no doubt get a very fine education at WVU, Marshall, and some of the other smaller schools around the state....equal in quality to what you could get at other schools generally considered to be academically superior. I think the student him/herself is the most important factor in education quality...not the name on the school. However, I do think that graduates of WV schools do face more of a perception issue about the quality of their degrees compared to say grads of UNC, UVA, Cal, etc.
I've never had anybody question the value of my Marshall degree, and I know WVU degrees are well regarded everywhere and especially in the Northeast and DC. There might be more of an issue with some of the smaller schools but a lot depends on the major. Marshall has an excellent reputation in education and forensics, and WVU has such a reputation in business, engineering, and forestry as well. I've never met a WVU grad who said he couldn't compete with graduates from anywhere for openings, but if you're going to be a history professor, UVA might give you an edge, or if you're going to be a biology professor, Cal would probably get more attention. If you want to be a linguist and can't get into the Defense Language Institute, you'll want to clean up your act and apply to Brigham Young, or go to Indiana University.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
View detailed profiles of: