Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2014, 07:15 AM

2,290 posts, read 3,826,595 times

Advertisements

Charleston Daily Mail | W.Va. drops fight to challenge of gay-marriage ban

Quote:
“Our state is known for its kindness and hospitality to residents and visitors alike,” Tomblin said. “I encourage all West Virginians — regardless of their personal beliefs — to uphold our statewide tradition of treating one another with dignity and respect.”

Not everyone heeded the governor’s call.

Ray Lambert of the West Virginia Family Foundation said the governor had conceded to “sodomites” on marriage and that “Christians’ civil rights will be trounced by this new marriage law.”

And in Kanawha Co... the first same-sex couples applied for licenses...

Charleston Daily Mail | First same-sex couples apply for licenses in Kanawha Co.

Quote:

Chris Bostic, 34, left, and David Epp, 33, both of Charleston, were the first same sex couple In Kanawha County to apply for a marriage license. Processing the aplication is Valerie McNiel, supervisor of Vital Statistics.

Old 10-10-2014, 07:30 AM

16,671 posts, read 15,665,596 times
Ray Lambert also said, "This will be a field day for WV’s trial lawyers against Christian business owners, landlords and eventually churches."

I'm anxious to see what he thinks will require a trail lawyer against a church.

Old 10-10-2014, 07:48 AM

46 posts, read 67,790 times
This is great news for the gay community in WV!

Old 10-10-2014, 09:45 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,184,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Ray Lambert also said, "This will be a field day for WV’s trial lawyers against Christian business owners, landlords and eventually churches."

I'm anxious to see what he thinks will require a trail lawyer against a church.
Same here. I support equal rights here but there is no way anyone will be able to force a church to perform one if they dont want to.

Old 10-10-2014, 09:56 AM

That's right. When the people of Maine did this by referendum (which WV doesn't allow), the petition presented to the Secretary of State said: "Do you favor a law allowing marriage licenses for same-sex couples, and that protects religious freedom by ensuring that no religion or clergy be required to perform such a marriage in violation of their religious beliefs?"

So, if this had been done by legislation, the concerns of the churches could have been handled that way. Instead, that concern is not adressed at all, one way or the other.

Old 10-10-2014, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Same here. I support equal rights here but there is no way anyone will be able to force a church to perform one if they dont want to.

I agree, a church should not be forced to perform one if they don't want to. There's lots of other places that a couple can be wed. My wife and I were married 30 years ago in a notary's house that did weddings in their Florida room.

Old 10-10-2014, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombieclod View Post
I agree, a church should not be forced to perform one if they don't want to. There's lots of other places that a couple can be wed. My wife and I were married 30 years ago in a notary's house that did weddings in their Florida room.

Do you think it's going to last??

Old 10-10-2014, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Do you think it's going to last??
LOL, Absolutely! We've gone too far to turn back now.

Old 10-11-2014, 05:48 PM

1,981 posts, read 5,989,661 times
I myself don't really see this being an issue. For one, not a whole of gay couples are religious. Secondly, those that are, are probably members of congregations that are supportive of gay marriage and couples. I don't foresee a lot of gay couples rushing to the local Baptist or Catholic churches to have a wedding.

I don't even want a wedding. I'm not religious in any way shape of form. I want a marriage between myself and my fiance that protects us and our relationship with the government, and to not feel weird by calling him my "partner" or "boy friend" those terms just don't fit us. He will be my husband, not some generic term to make people feel less comfortable.

With that being said, I'm still in complete shock. I honestly can remember when I was younger that this day would never happen.

I never cry or show emotion, some say I'm emotionally dead... haha but I couldn't help but cry when I heard the news.

Old 10-12-2014, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaHerdOn View Post
I myself don't really see this being an issue. For one, not a whole of gay couples are religious. Secondly, those that are, are probably members of congregations that are supportive of gay marriage and couples. I don't foresee a lot of gay couples rushing to the local Baptist or Catholic churches to have a wedding.

<snip>
While you're probably right, it only takes one couple seeing lawsuit $$$ to make an ugly scene we'd all have to watch play out on the news. I think the legislature should quickly enact a statute similar to Maine's referendum to prevent any "ambulance-chasing lawyers" from going after churches or clergy.

BTW, GHO, you can come home to get married now! Congratulations!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia