Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2014, 02:29 PM

941 posts, read 1,355,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
Charleston and Huntington are on the same level, but in my opinion have different vibes (more so now than ever). They both pretty much have the same amounts of shopping/dining/entertainment but Charleston is more of a business city, while Huntington is more of the college town feel. I prefer Charleston (I am biased), because I think it is a very attractive city and I enjoy the amenities it has. Charleston also feels more urban, but still has that small town friendliness for the most part. Charleston has great schools, and two local colleges that are continuing to grow and add degrees. The city is going through a time of renewal now, and with it people are moving downtown and new apartments are being constructed there. But also the neighborhoods of Charleston are great, and the suburbs offer more than most in WV. Other good things about Charleston include: good hospitals (CAMC, Thomas), good restaurants(check out East End Main Street/downtown), low cost of living, proximity to mountains and recreation, and history/architecture.
Yeah agree with all of this, though I still prefer Huntington. Biased preference. Charleston does feel more urban and I am jealous of that on Huntington's behalf.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2014, 04:40 PM

6,078 posts, read 9,107,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PynballWyzyrd View Post
Yeah agree with all of this, though I still prefer Huntington. Biased preference. Charleston does feel more urban and I am jealous of that on Huntington's behalf.
Huntington might not feel as urban as Charleston, but I think that in the near future, more "urban-type" development is going to take place between downtown and Marshall.Mostly in the form of mixed use. I am jealous of Pullman Square if that makes you feel better

Old 12-02-2014, 07:19 PM

941 posts, read 1,355,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
Huntington might not feel as urban as Charleston, but I think that in the near future, more "urban-type" development is going to take place between downtown and Marshall.Mostly in the form of mixed use. I am jealous of Pullman Square if that makes you feel better
Haha. Fair enough. I suppose that where one of the cities lacks, the other picks up on. (take that with a grain of salt)

Old 12-03-2014, 07:17 PM

282 posts, read 484,875 times
Having lived their back in the 80's I'll put in a plug for Beckley. I've lived in or have at least travelled all parts of the state and I don't think you'll find friendlier people than there are around Beckley. And Beckley is surrounded by some very beautiful natural scenery and parks as well. Certainly not a bad place to live at all.

Old 12-09-2014, 07:57 AM

3,298 posts, read 3,891,781 times
My main interest is boating and the outdoors. I would like to be near a city. Sunshine, clean water, and walking trails.

Old 12-09-2014, 08:16 AM

6,078 posts, read 9,107,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
My main interest is boating and the outdoors. I would like to be near a city. Sunshine, clean water, and walking trails.
Well the outdoors are pretty much anywhere in WV, so you really can't go wrong. Beckley would be probably the closest to the best available recreation between the four cities. Boating depends on what you prefer. For lake boating, you would probably fit best in Baeckley (closest to Summersville Lake/plus a few others). But if you were interested in river boating, then Charleston and Huntington would be best for that by far!

Old 12-09-2014, 08:54 AM

10,147 posts, read 15,044,974 times
My opinion is that it would depend somewhat on your age, your family status, and career aspirations. Both Charleston and Huntington offer nice entertainment options. Bluefield does not ring the bell on any counts. It is in one of the most economically depressed parts of the country. Beckley is the cleanest of all the cities listed, and it is closest to nice outdoor venues but it lacks entertainment and dining options.

Of the four towns listed, Huntington has the best park system and arguably the best educational offerings. Charleston has a more diverse economy and better job opportunities. Beckley is the cleanest and safest. If you have small children, Beckley would get my vote. Same is true if you are into outdoor activities. If you aren't locked into a job to start out, and don't have young kids, Charleston would probably be your best option. If you have portable job skills and would have no trouble landing a job anywhere, then Huntington would probably make the most sense. You can have the most fun there. Don't waste your time with Bluefield.

Old 12-09-2014, 06:39 PM

4,956 posts, read 8,952,889 times
In addition to the Ohio River and the PATH in town, Huntington is close to a great deal of outdoor opportunities in Kentucky and Ohio. There's Grayson and Yatesville Lakes in KY and Lake Vesuvius in OH. Carter Caves is also just down I-64 in KY and Hocking Hills is not too far away in OH. Here are some links to all of the stuff close by.

http://www.paulambrosetrailforhealth.org

Huntington District Locations

http://www.wvstateparks.com/map.html

Eastern Region - Deals - Kentucky State Parks

http://www.winteradventureweekend.com/trips-by-all.php

Parks of the Southeast Ohio region of Ohio

Last edited by tbailey1138; 12-09-2014 at 07:47 PM..

Old 12-10-2014, 07:45 PM

282 posts, read 484,875 times
Hocking hills is an incredibly beautiful place. There's nothing else quite like it. Not what one would expect in the middle of Ohio.

Old 12-10-2014, 10:46 PM

1,946 posts, read 4,073,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Route50guy View Post
Hocking hills is an incredibly beautiful place. There's nothing else quite like it. Not what one would expect in the middle of Ohio.
This

It's almost, (key word almost) as nice as the New River Gorge. But there's a lot of activities there for outdoor enthusiasts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia