Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 01:24 PM

938 posts, read 2,897,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kennedy View Post
Morgantown staffs and broadcasts West Virginia Public Television Channel 24...WNPB Statewide
Oh, right, PBS....I always forget about them....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2008, 01:42 PM

385 posts, read 1,920,237 times
I like the NBC25 (Hagerstown, MD) website, Your4State. It serves W MD, WV Panhandle, N VA and S PA (thus "4" state). It is a breath of fresh air from the Baltimore stations my cable provider pipes in as local stations. Don't get me wrong, I like the Baltimore stations... I'm from the Baltimore area originally and I often watch newscasts when I'm homesick.

However, I find that Your4State reports much more 'innocent' news... I'd much rather hear about renegade goats and ruined weddings than police shootings and drug busts.

Old 07-02-2008, 03:58 PM

938 posts, read 2,897,158 times
On the front page of today's Dominion Post, one of the headlines reads "Catfish dies by soccer ball"

Old 07-02-2008, 04:29 PM
x1x

227 posts, read 805,402 times
I remember years ago a radio station WWVA--AM, I think from Wheeling,WV. that played country, We used to listen to it here in NJ all the time,late nights.

Old 07-02-2008, 07:45 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,776,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vec101 View Post
Aren't radio and TV stations required to do so much community service? (Maybe not, but I thought I heard they were.) Lunch menu is a good way to fulfill this.

I do get aggrevated when in Morgantown - does MoTown not have it's own TV station? Seems like when I stay in a hotel there, the only news/weather I can get is Pittsburgh. Is that a hotel network thing or is there not a MoTown TV station? Gosh, you'd think if nothing else that WVU would have one (or do they and if so, what channel?)
FCC used to have a requirement that if you were licensed to use airwaves, you had to have PSA time x ammount a year. Same with station ID at set intervals. Times are changing, and not sure if they're still required. Soon it's all cable tv, no more free airwaves for rabbit ears. 2009 it goes in effect.
As far as the hotel goes, they don't control area broadcasting. The only thing limiting them is the cable package they're signed up for in their business, not unlike residential packages from local providers.

There's a broadcast station here in charleston along the interstate on kanawha blvd but I can't recall the call letters. Between my pod casts, news reports online, and my personal music library, the only time I listen to radio is when I'm in the car. I dig the mtn music they play occasionally near the low end of the fm dial (89?). Not sure where NPR is in WV- I miss garrison keilers show prairie home companion weekends.

I almost never watch TV anymore, especially not during election year with pundits running amok.

Old 07-02-2008, 07:47 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,776,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUPharm2007 View Post
On the front page of today's Dominion Post, one of the headlines reads "Catfish dies by soccer ball"
wvupharm- if that's the worst news of the day, be grateful!!!!

Old 07-02-2008, 07:50 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times
When did PHC go off the air? I listened to the show in November on my treks back to the Eastern Panhandle to move our families 'stuff'??

Old 07-02-2008, 07:51 PM

4,952 posts, read 8,946,075 times
Here are some interesting facts regarding TV in WV. The Huntington-Charleston television market is the second largest market east of the Mississippi with regards to area. The two largest stations, WSAZ and WOWK, are based in Huntington with stations in Charleston as well. WCHS/WVAH is based in Charleston with a Huntington station for news. Then there's also WPBY here for public TV. We don't get WNPB here so to my knowledge, it's not statewide but rather you get a different local station based on the area you are in. According to Wikipedia, WSAZ is the oldest TV station in the state. It was also the first station to feature two main anchors in separate studios with split time. WOWK is famous for having had Matt Lauer there as an anchor in the late 70s.

There are some petty good radio stations here as well. V100 was mentioned for Charleston and Huntington's most popular station is WKEE. Magic 97.9 has also become quite popular lately as well. Here are some links.

WSAZ-TV - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
WOWK-TV - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Welcome to Huntington Quarterly Magazine Online
100.5 WKEE | Huntington, WV
Magic 97.9 FM, Kenova, West Virginia (http://www.magic979.com/ - broken link)

Old 07-05-2008, 07:26 PM

9 posts, read 31,540 times
WVAQ is a well-produced station. As someone else previously said, Lacy Neph (sp?) does not strike me as amazing, but to each his own. He is especially unpopular in Fairmont due to him being linked to an incident at a night club, but no one is able to show any evidence or at least don't care to.

Anyway, I worked as a DJ at Froggy 102.7/92.7/103.7 and it was a blast. My on-air name was Big Frog. I also did a stint at 94 Rock, but nothing more than production and board op. I'm looking to get back into it, WZST is restructuring and i've already put my foot in the door. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Old 07-06-2008, 08:30 AM

3,106 posts, read 7,372,081 times
[quote=tbailey1138;4318173]Here are some interesting facts regarding TV in WV. The Huntington-Charleston television market is the second largest market east of the Mississippi with regards to area."

Awesome. That surprises me.

My fav radio stations in Chas area (I love the oldies) - 107.3 and 100.9.

Regarding 2 of the 3 major stations in the Chas area have their main base in Huntington - either Huntington has a lot more crime, murders, car wrecks, and activities than Charleston or the Charleston branch is understaffed/doesn't hustle as much for news or something. I don't know how many times I have been watching the news and thinking "hello, is there not a lot going on in Chas". Guess I need to stick to the Chas based station.

WVUPharm, "Catfish" - Love it. Wonder if it made Leno or Letterman?

Harbor, Thanks for the info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia