U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 03:06 PM

5 posts, read 11,418 times
Default Who is the builder at Fort Hill Farms in Hedgesville?

We've been looking at houses on the internet in the Fort Hill Farms neighborhood. Do you know who the builder is and why he is not selling the houses directly? All seem to be handled by real estate agents? Thanks, Suitland
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2008, 04:10 PM

1,500 posts, read 4,926,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suitland View Post
We've been looking at houses on the internet in the Fort Hill Farms neighborhood. Do you know who the builder is and why he is not selling the houses directly? All seem to be handled by real estate agents? Thanks, Suitland
It looks like Royal Builders Inc. Here is a link that might help you out a little.

WV Parade of Homes: View Homes (http://www.wvparadeofhomes.com/home-detail.html?map_no=40 - broken link)

janipoo

Old 01-12-2008, 05:04 PM

Thanks for the information, janipoo. Do you know anything about the community? And thanks for the link, it did help.
S

Old 01-12-2008, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the information, janipoo. Do you know anything about the community? And thanks for the link, it did help.
S
No I don't know anything about it believe it or not it must be one of the only neighborhoods that we didn't look at. We moved to Falling Waters 3 months ago and my daughter attend Hedgesville High. I really liked the neighborhood across from there called Harlan Run but they were finished building and there were no ranchers for sale. We had a house built in Brookfield. Are you moving from out of state?

Old 01-12-2008, 05:48 PM

Yes, we're currently in PG County, MD, retired and looking for a small house away from PG. We need to access health care at Kaiser Permanente in Fair Oaks/Falls Church and see that Hedgesville is close to 81. Those houses in Fort Hill Farms look cheaply made for the money their asking, but they have water and sewer, are new, single story with basemet so meet our requirements. Do you have any other suggestions?

Old 01-12-2008, 05:54 PM

Oh, I forgot to ask. I see the houses are equipped with heat pumps. They don't work well in this area and I wonder if they are just as bad in WV where it gets colder. Do you think there is a backup heating system?

Old 01-12-2008, 07:19 PM

I grew up in PG county...Landover Hills. We moved from Anne Arundel County (Pasadena). We purchased a house in Brookfield off of exit 23, It isn't a bad location because there is plenty of shopping in Hagerstown MD or Martinsburg WV. I really wanted a rancher (no more steps). We purchased from Dan Ryan, they had the bigger rancher with nice size bedrooms. There are 4 builders here with another also building ranchers. The lots are 1/2 to an acre. They are doing so much building in the area so it is all in what you want. Also, I have noticed so many foreclosures that houses that we looked at a year ago are now up for sometimes $100,000 less. I don't know what an ordeal it would be to purchase these homes.

If you want the Hedgesville area, There is a subdivision off of the road where the James Ramsey school is that is called Archer's Rock. We looked at houses there, there is Ryan homes and Centrex and I see that Dan Ryan is building there as well. I didn't like the Centrex homes, to me they seemed cheaply built.

If you have any questions just pm me or respond. Like I said we looked at many houses in the area before committing. The biggest adjustment I made was that I wasn't a mile from the grocery store any longer. There is a super Walmart getting ready to open on exit 20 so at least I can pick up bread or milk. They are also going to build a Home Depot and a Martin's plus a couple of restaurants.

Old 01-12-2008, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Oh, I forgot to ask. I see the houses are equipped with heat pumps. They don't work well in this area and I wonder if they are just as bad in WV where it gets colder. Do you think there is a backup heating system?
We had a heat pump with our last house in Pasadena, they are okay....just drying. They do have dual zone heating if you get a 2 story so you have a unit for each floor. I know that Dan Ryan does offer a gas back up for heating. Our neighbor has one (not too cheap though to have built in).

Also, we have County water and sewer. Most developments do unless they are one like an acre or so. Also, they do come with basements. Actually we looked into purchasing a home in Georgetown Orchard in Hedgesville, they were on an acre and had well and septic.

Old 01-14-2008, 06:26 PM

2,781 posts, read 6,800,292 times
Quote:
Yes, we're currently in PG County, MD, retired and looking for a small house away from PG. We need to access health care at Kaiser Permanente in Fair Oaks/Falls Church and see that Hedgesville is close to 81. Those houses in Fort Hill Farms look cheaply made for the money their asking, but they have water and sewer, are new, single story with basemet so meet our requirements. Do you have any other suggestions?
Retired? I would not recommend Berkeley County, how about Frederick County VA? The medical system in Winchester is much better and you do not want to go to City Hospital in case of emergency.
In regard to building, keep in mind there is no zoning in Berkeley County, there is also little in the way of homeowners protection.
As for being retired, WV is one of the few states that tax pensions and all forms of retirement income.

Old 01-14-2008, 06:30 PM

2,781 posts, read 6,800,292 times
Quote:
You will find it colder than it is in PG county. Granted the winters are much warmer now than in the past, but Martinsburg is at the foot of the mountain with 5th and South surrounding the area. We always referred to it as the "soup bowl" The key is oil or natural gas if you can find it.
When looking at homes and if you buy make sure you get a full inspection by a Maryland or Virginia certified inspector. You will find it worthwhile in the long run. This is for homes both new and old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia