Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2015, 07:16 AM

27,546 posts, read 28,630,498 times

Advertisements

Basically, I'm looking for a weekend getaway with pretty surroundings and plenty of activities suitable children under 5.

Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2015, 08:00 AM

1,017 posts, read 1,490,417 times
Try Adventures on the Gorge, which is just north of Fayetteville

West Virginia White Water Rafting, Family Vacations, and Outdoor Adventures | Adventures on the Gorge

They offer some of everything including a dedicated "kids camp" area

Old 04-02-2015, 11:33 AM

10,147 posts, read 15,036,538 times
I would suggest Oglebay Park in Wheeling. They have more than something for everyone there, wonderful restaurants and every imaginable amenity, a zoo with a train for the children, three golf courses, a nice museum, an amphitheater for plays and concerts, a ski slope, a great planetarium, cabins as well as a first rate lodge, tennis, swimming, horseback riding, gorgeous flower gardens, and probably some things I am forgetting to mention. The rates are reasonable, but demand is high so planning ahead is important...

http://www.oglebay-resort.com/

This family resort is located in America's ... the world's for that matter, best endowed municipal park.

Here is a small excerpt from the "About Oglebay" section found on the website above:

"Visitors of all ages will be delighted by the Good Zoo at Oglebay with thirty acres of animals, a mile and a half train ride, discovery lab, 0-gauge train exhibit, and planetarium. The Mansion Museum (Mr. Oglebay's summer home), Glass Museum and Artisan Center, Environmental Education Center, and specialty shops are also highlights of Oglebay."

Last edited by CTMountaineer; 04-02-2015 at 11:44 AM..

Old 04-03-2015, 10:13 AM

11 posts, read 15,131 times
I second the Oglebay Park suggestion. Most beautiful place I've ever been too. So many fun things to do/see there. Highly recommend!!!

Old 04-03-2015, 11:56 AM

I'm thinking of going with Oglebay. But their website seems to be down whenever I try to access it.

Old 04-04-2015, 12:18 PM

I just checked... the link in my post above is working fine now.

You won't regret going to Oglebay. It is extraordinarily nice, and although it is city owned, it is maintained in perpetuity by a board that is free from political interference, that operates the park with an old money endowment that blows the socks off any other municipal park system. It is guaranteed to always be top notch.

Old 04-09-2015, 10:24 PM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times
I live in Ohio. We don't have small children, but we saw a commercial for Oglbay Resort. It didn't look as though it was oriented only towards families with young children and they had a spa - which I would enjoy with my teenage daughter and golf which my husband and son would like.

Is this the same place? Funny because I just saw the commercial 5 minutes ago.

Old 04-10-2015, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I live in Ohio. We don't have small children, but we saw a commercial for Oglbay Resort. It didn't look as though it was oriented only towards families with young children and they had a spa - which I would enjoy with my teenage daughter and golf which my husband and son would like.

Is this the same place? Funny because I just saw the commercial 5 minutes ago.
Oglebay is an absolutely terrific park. It has abundant activities for people of all ages, from the very young to adults with virtually every imaginable amenity. The park is VERY well endowed with old money from Wheelings early days as an industrial powerhouse. They have a very large zoo, train rides for kids... swimming, tennis, and 3 full sized 18 hole golf courses, one of which meets professional tour standards. They have a ski slope, a wonderful museum, shops, and terrific restaurants and bars, a first rate hotel and cabins for rent. There is a riding stable with horses to ride, and flower and herb gardens that will take your breath away.

On top of all the other things the Wheeling Park System has going for it, they are in the heart of the wet gas Marcellus field with 1,700 acres of mineral rights at Oglebay plus another 200 acres at Wheeling Park, that lease for in the neighborhood of $8,400 per acre plus 18% royalties on extractions. This park system is set to operate at the highest level for the next 1,000 years. Click on the link in the post above for a glimpse.

Last edited by CTMountaineer; 04-10-2015 at 11:07 PM..

Old 04-13-2015, 10:30 AM

6,070 posts, read 9,091,285 times
I'd throw out Adventures at the Gorge as well. Probably the most activity based resort in the state. Also Stonewall Resort and State Park is nice (I believed the top rated four seasons resort in WV).

Old 04-15-2015, 09:05 AM

I visited Oglebay Park last weekend. It was enjoyable for us all to be in such a relaxed and friendly environment. It is pretty different from the hustle and bustle of the DC area where I live. I intend to repeat and stay longer next time.

Thanks for the suggestion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia