U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2006, 02:44 PM

10 posts, read 142,856 times

Advertisements

I am considering to relocate to WV.
How about the properties tax on a new-built 1500 sqt house?
How about the car insurance rate in WV?
Currently, I am in Indiana and my 05 Honda CRV's insurance rate is $550/yr.
Is it higher in WV?
Thanks for your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2006, 03:26 PM

2,816 posts, read 9,157,028 times
West Virginia has a very low property tax on homes, it does have property tax on cars, but so does Indiana from what I understand.
In WV one has to look at "overall" taxation. In doing so you will find WV always standing between within the top 15 states nationwide on "overall" taxation.

WV has a tiered income tax to 6.5%
6% across the board sales tax, recently to food at 5%
Higher than average gas tax
One of the highest business taxes in the nation
Retired folks get hit with taxation on pensions etc. known as the double hold up. Taxed on it during their working years and taxed again at retirement.

The basic economic system in WV is hard to understand. With overall taxation higher than the national average. A net 85cent return from the Fed on all outlays to the federal treasury thanks mostly to Pork Barrell Sen. Byrd, the state as a whole still suffers on poor infrastructure, those old roads, terrible services, etc. Mostly, this is because of lack of corporate presence. Much of the employment base in WV is government jobs over free enterprise facilities, thus no other sources of income to the state.

With the above said, WV, outside of Berkeley and Jefferson county which is no longer considered WV by many statewide folks but Washington DC is a very beautiful and great place. Sometimes I think that with all the other surrounding states becoming concrete ant hills, WV still holds America as it used to be again, Berkeley and Jefferson County excluded.

Regards,

Old 11-08-2006, 04:24 PM

1,502 posts, read 6,591,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia View Post

With the above said, WV, outside of Berkeley and Jefferson county which is no longer considered WV by many statewide folks but Washington DC is a very beautiful and great place. Sometimes I think that with all the other surrounding states becoming concrete ant hills, WV still holds America as it used to be again, Berkeley and Jefferson County excluded.

Regards,
Washington DC, I grew up in PG county on the district line, WV is nothing like DC trust me. You take your life in your own hands when you go anywhere near there. I couldn't wait to get out of there. Now I am in AA county and with the state and county taxes and the property going through the roof and all the fees they have put on us (let alone the 72% increase with BGE) We are tired of trying to get ahead. We are having a house built with everything on our wish list plus more let alone a 1/2 acre lot (compared to our .11) for 50,000 less than what we are selling our house for and getting 1000sf more. We have always found people in WV friendly, alot more so than here.

Old 11-08-2006, 06:20 PM

2,816 posts, read 9,157,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janipoo View Post
Washington DC, I grew up in PG county on the district line, WV is nothing like DC trust me. You take your life in your own hands when you go anywhere near there. I couldn't wait to get out of there. Now I am in AA county and with the state and county taxes and the property going through the roof and all the fees they have put on us (let alone the 72% increase with BGE) We are tired of trying to get ahead. We are having a house built with everything on our wish list plus more let alone a 1/2 acre lot (compared to our .11) for 50,000 less than what we are selling our house for and getting 1000sf more. We have always found people in WV friendly, alot more so than here.

Jani,
Know DC very well. Worked the area for many years. In my younger days I even worked as a Repo Man in SE DC. Kind of reminds me of Martinsburg's east side. You don't want to walk downtown Martinsburg at night either.

Good Luck Jani. Check your PM

Old 11-09-2006, 09:00 AM

10 posts, read 142,856 times
Default Any idea about the car insurance?

Thank you very much.

Old 11-10-2006, 01:34 PM

35 posts, read 161,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia View Post
Jani,
Kind of reminds me of Martinsburg's east side. You don't want to walk downtown Martinsburg at night either.
I guess I differ with this. It depends on your age. If you are elderly with a cane and bad eyesight, you definatel don;t want to walk dowtown late at night. I am early 30's, with three school age kids and I haven't ever had a problem leaving a supermarket or even a dance club for that matter. You just need to watch your surroundings (like everywhere else now a days) and be leary of strange activity. There are some areas of Martinsburg you wouldn;t catch me close to, but all in all, the areas next to I-81 aren't too bad!

Last edited by Yac; 11-11-2006 at 03:47 AM..

Old 11-14-2006, 01:31 PM

3 posts, read 13,070 times
Hey Jani! I used to live in PG county too! In Oxon Hill...how funny! I live in South TEXAS now, but have plans to relocated to Wayne County in the next year.

Old 11-17-2006, 04:36 AM

2,909 posts, read 12,747,290 times
How bad is the taxation in WV? How much will I save in Ohio tax in comparsion? Ive heard WV taxes you on everything if they can. They even tried to tax you for owning trees but that didnt fly and was repelled in no time. Will they tax me for having a home business or being self employeed? What about my mutual funds? If I decide to retire, will they tax my retirement money? What if I move out then retire?

Old 06-26-2014, 07:38 AM

1 posts, read 2,176 times
My husband and myself and my 3 children might be moving to wva depending on if my husband transfers. His job would be in martinsburg and I am Leary about moving there after reading this forum. Anyone have suggestions which nearby county would be a good place to raise teenagers,schools,taxation and cost of living?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or