Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 02:02 PM

76 posts, read 363,895 times

Advertisements

Since Martinsburg, Charles Town, and Harper's Ferry is building up and more people moving to the area, do you think the Pan Tran Bus service will expand like the Metro buses service in the Washington, DC area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2008, 10:43 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,279,249 times
No!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-20-2008, 01:05 PM

267 posts, read 1,360,827 times
I highly doubt it.

Actually I can see two things happening with Pan Tran. Either the Pan Tran buses and service will no longer be in control of local and state governements and will be turned over to the VA Hospital. If this happens only employees and patients of the Martinsburg VA Hosptial will be allowed to use Pan Tran. This makes sense since I have read in the Martinsburg Journal some time ago that most of those who use the Pan Tran service are affiliated with the VA Hospital. I am surprised this hasn't already happened.

or...

The Pan Tran goes totally defunct. Most people in the Eastern Panhandle outside the VA Hospital don't support the Pan Tran.

Old 02-25-2009, 12:19 PM

2 posts, read 9,856 times
Hey billybobwv:
I ride the PanTran every work day to Harpers Ferry with Park service employees and local folks going shopping and the Charlestown Races. The majority of the VA "residents" only ride twice. Once from M'burg to the VA for their drug and alchohol treatment program in the morning (9AM) and once back (5:35PM). Don't believe everything you read in the Journal.
Cheers!

Old 02-26-2009, 07:16 AM

385 posts, read 1,920,324 times
I really wish it would, but it probably won't. It would be nice to have a service like Howard County Maryland's Howard Transit or Frederick, Maryland's TransIT in Jefferson County.

However the need for those mass transit systems is driven heavily by the need of the population (a lot of Section 8 communities, many with families without their own cars). We don't have that in Jefferson County. Like mentioned before, PanTran is mostly used by veterans (and students).

I would love to see PanTran offering a route connecting Shepherdstown, Kearneysville and Charles Town to the Duffields MARC... however with the recent MARC fare increase to WV, the Duffields parking lot no longer gets filled up in the morning... so no need, at least for a long time.

Old 10-07-2009, 04:32 PM

2 posts, read 9,396 times
Default Valley Connector Bus Service to DC

The Valley Connector just recently expanded service into the Winchester and Berryville area with weekday service to Washington DC. As residents from Martinsburg, and Charlestown start using the current routes, they plan to expand into that area. Route information is at [url=http://www.valleyconnector.com]valleyconnector.com[/url]

Old 10-08-2009, 08:13 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,038,016 times
My daughter teaches in Hagerstown and my son-in-law teaches in Martinsburg. I am amazed with the development going on in the region. I wish it would have just a bit less of a DC flavor to it, but the money is definitely flowing in the Eastern Panhandle. I believe in the long run it will be between EP and Northcentral as being the growth areas in the State. Proximity to both natural beauty, educational resources, and to the major cities of Baltimore, DC, and Pittsburgh will continue to be the drivers in spite of inept leadership and assistance from state government and petty/destructive jealousy and political infighting at the state level.

Old 10-08-2009, 08:51 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,641,589 times
There are a lot of folks from Baltimore and points not from DC migrating to Berkeley County. And Baltimore is a far cry from DC, and not bad imho.

Old 10-14-2009, 04:40 PM

20 posts, read 56,509 times
I love the pan tran bus service. Where I meet my girl friend.

Old 10-16-2009, 11:29 AM

19,743 posts, read 22,641,589 times
Pan Tran- Martinsburg's Love Boat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia