Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2015, 04:41 PM

18 posts, read 18,773 times

Advertisements

Hi. Ive made a few posts as I'm planning an RV trip around WV in a few weeks from mid-June to mid-July. I've had some good suggestions of places to go and things to see and where to hike but I've another question.

I'd like to check out a few vineyards in WV and need suggestions/recommendations of places to try on my route.

We plan to start in Shenandoah national park, then head up fort valley to harpers ferry then head west then south to Seneca Rocks and Spruce Knob. From there we'll head South and maybe into North Carolina or South then east into Virginia or Maryland.

All suggestions welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2015, 10:17 PM

1,342 posts, read 3,242,915 times
You might investigate the wineries on this list, I can't recommend one over the other as I haven't visited them.

West Virginia Department of Commerce Wineries

Old 05-29-2015, 10:15 AM

210 posts, read 416,436 times
I'd check out Breaux Vineyards. They're just over the VA border from Jefferson County off Route 9 and pretty close to Harpers Ferry.

Old 05-30-2015, 05:15 AM

632 posts, read 830,130 times
Yeah WV doesn't have much in the wine department. Northern VA has some very impressive vineyards in the northern part of the state however. The Breaux Vineyard was a good suggestion

Old 06-06-2015, 07:29 AM

18 posts, read 18,773 times
Advice appreciated.. Harpers Ferry is on our route so we'll try as suggested. Ideas for VA vineyards or anything else to try out whilst visiting appreciated.

Old 06-08-2015, 03:11 PM

82 posts, read 119,938 times
If your route takes you near Fairmont/Clarksburg, I highly recommend Heston Farm. They have a winery, distillery, and restaurant on site which is all very convenient to I-79.

It doesn't sound like you're headed west, but if you end up near Parkersburg, WineTree is a nice stop. Small operation, but the owner is very knowledgeable and the wine is excellent. Ditto Vu Ja De if you're near Spencer (but you have to call ahead). There's a second winery in Spencer called Chestnut Ridge which also plays host to an artist colony; you might get lucky and also catch the blacksmith or glass artisan, etc., at work.

There are some very, very good wineries popping up in West Virginia these days, but they're still a bit spread out. The density just isn't there to hit several quickly in a day like in Virginia or North Carolina. Good luck, though!

Old 06-22-2015, 06:56 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,533,022 times
Working in the wineries of upstate NY we've been hearing a lot about the up and coming wine industry of West Virginia. Some West Virginia wineries have even been purchasing Cayuga grapes from up here.

I hope it thrives! It'd be nice to have more wine country in the Appalachian east. Show California what-for! haha

Old 06-25-2015, 03:13 PM

324 posts, read 836,340 times
Not a winery, but perhaps artisan moonshine would interest you? Bloomery Sweetshine in Charles Town (just outside Harpers Ferry) grows all their own fruit and has an on site distillery/tasting room. I haven't had a chance to visit yet but it is definitely on my "to do" list!

Old 06-27-2015, 11:55 PM

537 posts, read 957,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyWhnChasd View Post
Not a winery, but perhaps artisan moonshine would interest you? Bloomery Sweetshine in Charles Town (just outside Harpers Ferry) grows all their own fruit and has an on site distillery/tasting room. I haven't had a chance to visit yet but it is definitely on my "to do" list!
Thx for the heads-up. This place is right in my back yard and I'd never even heard of it! Gets great reviews in TripAdvisor, so I should probably check it out, even though I'm not much of a drinker.

Old 06-29-2015, 02:17 PM

68 posts, read 116,567 times
Bluemont, Hunter's Run, and Bogati Bodega—all in NoVa—are some personal favorites of mine. They're all within roughly a half hour of each other too, same approximate geographic area in Virginia. But you could throw a rock fifty times while standing in that area and hit fifty different vineyards. Slight exaggeration, but only slight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia