U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 11:44 AM

18,269 posts, read 2,593,783 times
How is West Virginia now? Are things similar? worse? or better?(since my last post on this thread)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2009, 01:30 PM

4,715 posts, read 8,281,826 times
July has been a little cool....must be the 'global warming...I've been told it's how a person interpertates it...Global warming can be hot or cold...It's how you see it.

Like the Bill Clinton definition of IS...It's whatever you want it to be...Wv can be anything...the same or different...hope I've answered your question...gave you points for that question...We have never got that one before...

Old 04-24-2011, 04:49 PM

98 posts, read 44,347 times
I moved from an area near the West Virginia border to the Dayton area (for those who aren't familiar with Ohio geography this entailed a move from Appalachia to the plains of the Midwest) The most ignorant or misquided that I heard where usually preceded by "I heard". if they quoted a source, it was almost also a source from pop culture, such as "The Dukes of Hazzard" or "Deliverance" (yes, people actually using TV comedies and horror movies to form serious opinions of other groups in society, when thanks to the Internet decent sources are usually just an arms length away - one wonders just how effective a Nazi-styled propoganda campaign directed toward some group would be with these people. They don't check facts, and one wonders if they were ever taught what constitutes a reliable source! As for he value of hearsay or public opinion, or how poorly informed it can be, remember it wasn't that long ago that convention that women should work, compete in athletis, vote, the number of Jews attending Ivy League universities should be limited, and that African-Ameicans and Jews should not be allowed to live in certain neighborhoods (I have seen restrictions on deeds for property in suburbs (Cincinnati area) in the 50s/60s in Ohio, a northern state, precluding the sale of the property to Jews and African-Americans). We have came a long way, but when I had somebody try to tell me that the people where I was from were like those in Deliverance (a woman trying to claim that it was true story) I felt like I was dealing with somebody who was trying to dehumanize Appalachians in the same way that blacks, Jews, immigrants, etc had experienced decades before. Thanks to the Internet, it is easy to find good, reliable, objective and empirical sources (such as academic research, history-oriented sites, also there is an unbeleivably broad wealth of information on different regions and groups within our society available on the census website) - I would always check those before I threw something really derogatory out there, even if it were something that I had "heard" a lot. Think of what our forefathers "heard" about African-Americans, Native Americans, and women! When I lived near the WV border, we were near the Huntington/Charleston WV metro, so we actually were near all of the same amenities that people in the Dayton area, and across most of the country, enjoy. Pop culture has really formed a misconception in the minds of many regarding what people in Appalachia are like (can you imagine a movie like Deliverance where the villians were African-Americans - not so many decades ago that sort of thing would have been kosher - and blacks would have had to deal with people forming their opinions of blacks on the baisis of it(this actually happened to a very large degree, hence the controversies surrounding "Amos and Andy" and black-faced minstrel shows - the latter one of the dominant forms of entertainment in the US for decades. Many Native Americans also stopped acting in Westerns because they realized that these fictional movies were shaping public opinion and behavior towards them). There was a production company that recently advertised for West Virginians with birth defects, who would be portrayed a typical residents of the area in a horror film..this is the kind of crap that people in West Virginia have to put up with from Hollywood. I lived in Appalachia for eighteen years, (moved there as a teenager) and, while there was poverty, MOST people weren't poor, most were nice, and the violent crime rate in my region was very low (per FBI stats, which indicates the number of violent crimes per 100,000 people per year, a formula which is designed to take into account the differnces in population between any two areas of the country). I knew people from all walks of life who left their doors unlocked at night and keys in the ignition while they shopped, things that shocked people in my native city. People were friendlier, and more willing to help. And I travelled a lot in the region, jogged for miles among many different routes, and had many car breakdowns that required me to walk for sometimes long distances down country roads at 12-1-2 o'clock at night and, no, nobody ever tried to blow me away with a shotgun or ever pulled one on me. And, no, I didn't know most of the parties involved. (Although if I had tried to break in their house or steal something that may have been a different story - you can literally have ONE deputy in some areas covering an entire county on certain shifts, while other areas have no problems with staffing).

Last edited by robertbrianbush; 04-24-2011 at 05:03 PM..

Old 04-25-2011, 08:52 PM

6,282 posts, read 4,465,322 times
Well, since the economy was strong for 6 of the 8 years preceeding President Obama's taking office, with the two down years being those during which the Dems controlled the Legislative Branch, it's easy to see why some troubles existed when he took office. But if somebody can't say after 2 1/2 years of this Administration that they are better off than they were before he took office (and most can't say that), then it's pretty clear he did not bring about any improvements. In fact, with the value of our money steadily declining since he bailed out his Brooklyn buddies twice and gas now $4 per gallon, I think it is safe to say this isn't the change the people were looking for.

Old 05-08-2011, 02:29 PM

11,962 posts, read 7,044,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
Well, since the economy was strong for 6 of the 8 years preceeding President Obama's taking office, with the two down years being those during which the Dems controlled the Legislative Branch, it's easy to see why some troubles existed when he took office.
The economy had the appearance of strong but was a junkie avoiding inflation to it's own detriment. It was an illusion by changing accounting standards & credit card economics since Reagan, but he was just a figure head of think tanks birthed in the 70's. Trickle down economics defying gravity and concentrating at the top at an alarming rate for concerted periods of time screams otherwise. They've succeeded at recreating the hoarders of 1900. Republicans have betrayed America and you still don't want to believe Judas is a bad guy because he's wearing a red tie and telling you everything you most want to believe.

Next up the inevitable rise of walmart prices, who were always in the business of hedging the diminished value of the yen against the USD. It's the same strategy of Soro's, only he didn't bother with an inventory. Once the USD is diminished in value to the yen walmart's function transferring wealth will have served it's purpose and poor people will be reminded they are poor with the added bonus of having squandered the rungs of the ladder into middle class for fire wood. The top 10% own 85% of this country and have no allegiance to this nation whatsoever. You can thank the malevolent forces in GOP for that usurpation of democracy. The power of lobbyists now exceeds the powers of executive, legislative, and judicial branches.

There stands Palin on a stage holding up a tray of twinkies for fat kids claiming adults that teach about vegetables are evil and robbing defenseless children of their liberty. We haven't enough morbidly obese 7yr olds in America and the snack cake industry must not be deprived it's 'target audience'. There aren't enough assaults to the minds of children from ad men, we need to have it forced on them through political policies promoting smores in USDA allowances and religiously defend capitalism by refusing to allow soda machines to be carted out of schools. All justified as defending liberty & preserving 'family values' while making a mockery of that very same liberty.

"Pure as Ivory soap" evil stands right before you and men are blind to her. It's similar to the exploitation of Vietnam vets who have the noble intention of protecting women and children only to have evil get hold of these women and children to assassinate him. Same thing in Afghanistan dressing up in Burqa's. My brothers in arms are abused in plain sight. Women and children are nothing more than human shields to these despicable animals. And here in America they call themselves conservative.

This same woman hired lawyers for 1/2 million to obtain multi million 'free money' from congress to build an ICE RINK for eskimos, putting the town of Wasilla millions in debt over nonsense. THIS is your spokesperson for fiscal responsibility? Palin is but a symptom of the conservative mind overwrought with tares, discernment severely impaired, and lighting fires under him to declare wars on everything in defense of tares, not wheat. It's happening on every front for conservatives because their values have been corrupted. Liberals didn't do this. You've done this to yourselves with false prophet Ayn Rand. You are worshiping yourselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia