Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 12:24 PM

17,998 posts, read 9,062,199 times

Advertisements

What is the economic situation in West Virginia i hear that in most of West Virginia atleast 30-40% of the population is at or below the poverty line and i also hear that most of the state is comparable to driving through a third world country is this really true? if someone could prove or disprove these allegations that would be great.

P.S. I am also being told this

West Virginian students score only about 50% on state standardized testing is this really true ? in my part of Indiana most students score on average 86-91% on state standardized testing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2008, 01:27 PM

2,021 posts, read 4,615,978 times
gdude I hope you aren't one of those so called city-data "trolls" who goes from one forum to another posting random questions for no apparent reason. In the event you aren't I will say this...

I grew up in West Virginia and although I moved to the Washington DC area for a job several years ago I know a lot about the state. Where exactly are you "hearing" this random information from? I'm not going to waste time looking up statistics for such baseless claims but I can assure you that 30-40% of the states population is nowhere near being at or below poverty level. The state does indeed have some economically depressed areas and is known for being a poorer state, but 30-40% seems rather large.

The fact that you "heard" most of the state is like driving through a third world country is somewhat ridiculous and will likely depend on ones perception. I hope the person who told you this information wasn't also from Indiana because I've driven through your state and as a DC area resident used to major metropolitan area living I felt it was essentially 90% a wasteland of broken down farms and dull flat land. I've always thought it was quite beautiful driving through the mountains of WV as opposed to the miles and miles of cornfields I saw in Ohio and Indiana, that was depressing if you ask me.

I went to public school in WV and feel that I was educated quite well, the fact that someone can score a certain percentage on standardized testing in a certain area of Indiana also has nothing to do with the performance your entire state. I'm going to assume that data was made up because I don't think schools would be allowed to operate if students failed that poorly on standardized tests. Aside from that a persons test scores really don't have much to do with real intelligence as far as my experience goes in the working world, I went to WVU and some of my "enlightened" co-workers who went to "serious academic schools" as they call them like UVA or American are about as devoid of common sense as one can get.

I hope these answered some of your questions, please develop a little more class and educate yourself on the importance of researching topics before you come spouting off a bunch of random nonsense that is based soley on what you have "heard."

Last edited by NOVAmtneer82; 01-21-2008 at 01:57 PM..

Old 01-21-2008, 01:42 PM

13 posts, read 38,767 times
We're already discussing this here:
economic growth in WV?

But to quickly answer your questions:

i hear that in most of West Virginia at least 30-40% of the population is at or below the poverty line and i also hear that most of the state is comparable to driving through a third world country is this really true?

The figures are pretty much correct. WV is #1 in for instance in free school breakfasts & lunches. However, most of the serious poverty is (as usual) in Southern WV where coal mining is about all they have. This poverty is mostly up "hollers" and areas where you probably wouldn't go, or wouldn't see it anyway. Like all states, we have scattered poverty all over the state. But for the most part, you will see a beautiful state that looks nothing like a 3rd world country. The only reason we manage to pull this off is because our tree covered state and the hills and hollows do a good job of hiding ugly things. (except our very obese women. Those are at Wal-Mart every day)

The kids here are about average to slightly below average (naturally there are pockets of exceptions) due to many things: Poverty and parent apathy is the big one. But even if the poverty part were solved tomorrow, it wouldn't help much because after generations of expecting a government handout... it's tough to break the cycle.

Naturally, we have areas where education is very important. Most of these areas became that way NOT due to the demands of the locals so much... as the demands of outsiders who moved to the state through their companies like Dow Chemical, Columbia Gas and others. Those people were used to good schools for their kids, and they helped to shame the locals into stepping up to the plate and providing it (finally).
So... while I cant make a blanket statement about ALL of WV being poor or ALL of WV being downtrodden, we DO have our problems for sure.

Old 01-21-2008, 02:05 PM

"The only reason we manage to pull this off is because our tree covered state and the hills and hollows do a good job of hiding ugly things. (except our very obese women. Those are at Wal-Mart every day)"

hahaha you aren't kidding! Everytime I go home i am disgusted when I have to go to Wal-Mart and see all the two ton Tommy and Tina's of the world riding around on those motorized carts, maybe if they walked a little, even around the store they wouldn't weigh so much. They will also take those carts and park them in the middle of the aisle effectively blocking you from getting through. My favorite is being behind them at McDonalds when they order 2 Big Mac Meals, Large Fries, Chicken McNuggets and a DIET COKE.

Old 01-21-2008, 03:32 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,782,788 times
"WV is #1 in for instance in free school breakfasts & lunches. However, most of the serious poverty is (as usual) in Southern WV where coal mining is about all they have. "
Believe it or not, that's an extremely practical investment in kids. Studies showed that child growth and development in economically depressed areas had a direct correlation with poor nutrition/poverty:measurable learning scores. I for one wouldn't mind making sure the best and brightest have a fighting chance despite where their parents are on the economic ladder.
The rest would fall on discipline, which is entirely in control of the individuals, not the government.
I'm wondering to myself if anyone uphappy with kid reading/writing scores has thought to start a volunteer program for extra help in say a library or something. Are these sorts of things happening there?

"The only reason we manage to pull this off is because our tree covered state and the hills and hollows do a good job of hiding ugly things. (except our very obese women. Those are at Wal-Mart every day)"

<drowns my bikini sorrows in hagen daaz and a big fuzzy robe> lol

Old 01-21-2008, 04:06 PM

1,981 posts, read 5,990,663 times
I'm so sick of the negativity... One thing WV seems to be famous for is whining! Sit around whining about "oh we're poor!" Hey, here is an idea, get a job, get an education, and start voting politicians that really want to change the state (Joe Manchin = GOOD) I just want to punch people when they sit around on these boards and b*tch and moan about how poor WV is and how illiterate we are. I think we've heard that once or twice in our lives, its not breaking news.

Old 01-21-2008, 05:03 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,782,788 times
Default resolutions vs wallowing

Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaHerdOn View Post
I'm so sick of the negativity... One thing WV seems to be famous for is whining! Sit around whining about "oh we're poor!" Hey, here is an idea, get a job, get an education, and start voting politicians that really want to change the state (Joe Manchin = GOOD) I just want to punch people when they sit around on these boards and b*tch and moan about how poor WV is and how illiterate we are. I think we've heard that once or twice in our lives, its not breaking news.
Sorry if I've offended you, herdon. I think focusing on a problem isn't a bad thing if it results on the problem getting resolved. None of us are experts, but most of us can see whats worked and what hasn't. IMO illiteracy isn't something to be ashamed of, but doing nothing about it is. I think most who are complaining are frustrated and feel helpless to change things. They just can't see the solutions.

When I was in the military, I had a great Boatswainmate chief who had an open door policy. Whatever problems you've got going on in his station, he wanted to know about it ASAP. The one stipulation he made was this: before you come in my office, make sure you come with 3 potential solutions in hand. The more I did this, the more I learned what solutions would work best. He shared ownership, responsibility, and CREDIT with me, despite my newbie rank. I embraced it fully, and our unit was the most decorated the entire time he lead there. This form of leadership is a model called "Total quality management" or TQM.

I learned a tremendous ammount about leadership from that man, and kept that philosophy for my own life path. Pay it foward.

Old 01-21-2008, 06:31 PM

13 posts, read 38,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaHerdOn View Post
The negativity isn't only coming from those you mentioned. It's coming from people like me who's lived here most of his life and know that the ONLY way you'll ever get more than 10 West Virginians together to do ANYTHING is to throw an all-you-can-eat-buffet! West Virginians would rather complain about things instead of DOING anything about them! And the ONLY way you'll ever see any changes made is when the same bunch of incompetent crooks are no longer being voted into office. When will that be? Well... I've been waiting 57 years and I dont see any changes yet.

Old 01-21-2008, 06:42 PM

967 posts, read 2,995,698 times
My thoughts on poverty and education, and what they lead to:

I grew up in rural poverty in upstate NY.
My thoughts on poverty and education, and what they lead to: I grew up in rural poverty in upstate NY. Welfare, Food Stamps, and Salvation Army (long before it was cool to shop there) were the norm. We had no telephone, no TV, and no car. There was many a night we didn't eat. We often slept in the kitchen in the winter, nailing blankets to the doorways to keep the heat from the electric oven in the room- there was no money for heating oil. My 2 brothers and I lived like this for the better part of our childhoods. I don't write this for your sympathy, just background.

From this thread, I should be fat, toothless, uneducated, and waiting for the government [sic] handout, right?

Where you come from, and the upbringing you've had, have little bearing on where you end up in life. The only thing that matters is your ambition. You can come from the "holler" in Southern WV, rural NY, or Scarsdale. Your reward in life is dictated by your ambition, not the place you called home.

I graduated high school, but hadn't the grades or money for college. Guess I should have quit right there, 'cause I was poor, right? Everyone knows poor people are dumb right???

I enlisted in the Navy. I worked all day, and went to school at night. I earned a Bachelors degree and a Commission. I became an Officer, and a Naval Aviator. I have a tested IQ of 138. I don't offer this to brag, simply to prove that it doesn't matter where you come from.

My advice to you gdude: Keep on driving, 'cause I've been to plenty of third world countries and WV ain't one of them.

There's no such thing as luck. What we call "luck" is nothing more than being prepared to take advantage of an opportunity when it presents itself.

I'm moving my family to WV because it is pleasantly void of the pompous, snooty, "better-than-you" buffoons I see in the higher socio-economic areas. Besides, I know more than a few Harvard grads that can't even change their own oil... and they're the smart ones????

Old 01-21-2008, 06:55 PM

"the ONLY way you'll ever get more than 10 West Virginians together to do ANYTHING is to throw an all-you-can-eat-buffet!"

I swear I almost rolled in the floor laughing when I read this, this is so funny and yet so sad because its TRUE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia