Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 08:54 PM

42 posts, read 117,349 times

Advertisements

HeyI'mPrincess83 better half, Morgantown is looking magnificent. I think we have to take a trip there to see if its all you say it is. What are some places to see while in Morgantown? Now we are not looking to live in town. We are looking for a pretty rural wooded lot, no sub-divided stuff they sell to the Floridians (hehe just joking!) So inside of around a 45 minute drive what are some rural areas to look for? Just to get an idea of the type of property they have around there and look at a few real small towns they have close by.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2008, 09:11 PM

2,021 posts, read 4,615,978 times
I went to college in Morgantown, I now live in the DC area but I go back to visit often.. There are many rural areas within a forty-five minute drive (you can be in farm country about 5 minutes outside of Motown) a few areas to look into would include Preston County, Garrett County MD but be careful here, they get A LOT more snow than Morgantown in the winter. You could also check out some surrounding rural counties in western PA, living there you will still be in the country but closer to Pittsburgh, especially if you are in Greene or Fayette Counties.

Old 01-22-2008, 09:19 PM

Snow is not a bad thing! I love the snow. When i lived in NC the population of the town I lived in was 605. So I'm looking for that small of a place to live in and drive to Morgantown for work/play

Old 01-22-2008, 11:41 PM

44 posts, read 167,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XDemo KnightX View Post
Snow is not a bad thing! I love the snow. When i lived in NC the population of the town I lived in was 605. So I'm looking for that small of a place to live in and drive to Morgantown for work/play

any suggestions guys?

Old 01-23-2008, 05:18 AM

4,714 posts, read 13,314,623 times
A secret little town is Mount Morris, Pa. Also Rivesville near Fairmont. All of Fayette, county and Uniontown...I mention these, because no one else will. Morgantown has many subdivisions...new houses begin about $230k and go to about 2/3 million. Also every rural road in every direction has new rural located housing being developed.

Stay away from the realtors on your first trip here as they will put you through the mill..
good luck and try 'Back Bay' on the Mileground for the Oysters at lunch time...good luck..

Old 01-23-2008, 05:58 AM

2,429 posts, read 7,236,690 times
I've always lived east of where I work, so I'm not commuting into the sun every morning and afternoon. For Morgantown, that would be east on I-68 or WV-7. Kingwood might be a little far, but you'd be home for the Buckwheat Festival in the fall.

Just across the border into PA, there's Smithfield (not to be confused with Smithfield in Wetzel Co.) and Fairchance. Once they get that last five or so miles of connector done on the Mon Valley Expressway, it will be a straight shot down to Cheat Lake, then 68 west into Morgantown.

Snorpus

Old 01-23-2008, 04:29 PM

44 posts, read 167,875 times
just curious, would anyone happen to have any photo's of huntingdon or morgantown areas?

Old 01-23-2008, 09:37 PM

Good stuff, See I'm looking to stay away from the rural areas that are under development. David Kennedy touched on what I'm looking for, Names of small towns to check out. And i know we are not ready to talk to the Realtors. So any more suggestions?

Old 01-24-2008, 03:38 AM

4,954 posts, read 8,952,889 times
Here are the names of a few towns in the Huntington area you might want to check out. Milton is a small town of just over 2,000 people that is about 15-20 minutes from Huntington. Milton has a lot of small town charm and just on the outskirts would probably have the type of setting you are looking for with a lot of land and a good area to be away from it all yet close to everything.
Milton, West Virginia (WV) Detailed Profile - relocation, real estate, travel, jobs, hospitals, schools, crime, news, sex offenders

Barboursville is a town of just over 3,000 people that actuallly borders Huntington. Barboursville itself is very nice but the areas that would suit you the best would be again, just outside of Barboursville. One of these areas, called Martha, would also have potential to fit the type of property you are looking for yet keeping you close to things.
Barboursville

To get even farther from things and in an even smaller area there is Salt Rock. Salt Rock is still in Cabell County but it sits on the border with Lincoln county. There is a LOT of land in Salt Rock and yet it is still a quick drive to Huntington via Route 10.

Lincoln County has the options of Hamlin and West Hamlin and both of these areas have a lot of rural areas that may offer what you want. There are a lot of old farms out this way and it is about 45 minutes from Huntington via Route 10.
Hamlin, West Virginia (WV) Detailed Profile - relocation, real estate, travel, jobs, hospitals, schools, crime, news, sex offenders
West Hamlin, West Virginia (WV) Detailed Profile - relocation, real estate, travel, jobs, hospitals, schools, crime, news, sex offenders

In Wayne County, the towns of Lavalette and Wayne would have some areas worth checking out and these towns would have a straight shot into Huntington via Route 52 which turns into 5th Street once it gets into Huntington. Other towns to check out in Wayne County would be Pritchard and possibly Ceredo and Kenova.
Wayne, West Virginia (WV) Detailed Profile - relocation, real estate, travel, jobs, hospitals, schools, crime, news, sex offenders
Ceredo, West Virginia (WV) Detailed Profile - relocation, real estate, travel, jobs, hospitals, schools, crime, news, sex offenders
Kenova, West Virginia (WV) Detailed Profile - relocation, real estate, travel, jobs, hospitals, schools, crime, news, sex offenders

Mason County may also be worth checking out as Point Pleasant is about 45 minutes from Huntington via Route 2 and there are a lot of rural areas in between that aren't really towns but may offer what you are looking for.
Point Pleasant, West Virginia (WV) Detailed Profile - relocation, real estate, travel, jobs, hospitals, schools, crime, news, sex offenders

I've also included a map below to help you get an idea of where these towns are in relation to each other. It starts out in the middle of the state and the areas mentioned above are in the western part of the state.
West Virginia Road Map

Hope this helps and gives you a better idea of what the Huntington area has to offer.
Tim
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia