U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 05:16 PM

2 posts, read 11,976 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

I've heard that West Virginia is a beautiful state, and I may have to relocate there for work, specifically to Charleston. I'm from the Chicagoland area but grew up in a small town. Ideally I'll be looking for somewhere with a city feel to it and the culture to match, specifically theater and the like. Additionally, what Universities would be nearby that I could addend to get my Masters? Finally, what kind of public transit is available in the area? Thank you in advance for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2008, 05:26 PM

4,714 posts, read 11,213,380 times
If you're from Chi-town...you'll want to move on up to Moregantawn...
Forget about Charleston...its a chemical dump on water.

As for that Master's...what's your last name?
Some people here get them for free....all kidding aside...Tim Bailey will answer all of your questions as soon as he see's my blog...good luck, seriously...

and check out e-bay for a gas mask before you move...remember Bopal?

Old 01-23-2008, 05:26 PM

2,429 posts, read 5,989,834 times
In Charleston, there's the University of Charleston (formerly Morris Harvey College). They offer an MBA, but I'm not sure about graduate degrees in other fields.

Marshall University in Huntington is about an hour away via Interstate 64. It's the 2nd largest university in the state (after WVU), and offers a wide range of graduate programs.

I think West Virginia Tech in Institute changed its name some years ago, but that is another possibility in the Charleston area.

Old 01-23-2008, 05:46 PM

1,980 posts, read 4,966,290 times
I'm in my Junior year here at Marshall University, and I really think you'd like it here. Just message me if you have any qeustions.

Old 01-23-2008, 07:07 PM

3,787 posts, read 6,155,876 times
Just to give you some more info on Huntington, it's the second largest city in the state(right under 50,000 people) just behind Charleston (just over 50,000 people). The 2 cities are also only 45 minutes apart and many live in Huntington and commute to Charleston(my dad did this). There's plenty to do here in terms of culture with the largest art museum in the state, 4 performing arts venues in addition to the local civic arena, multiple theater and dance companies and the Huntington Symphony Orchestra. Huntington, as others have said, is also home to Marshall University which provides opportunities to athletic events and other theater/arts events. It would also be able to give you the oportunity to earn your masters degree as well. For public transit, TTA bus system serves Huntington and is a very visible part of the community. Below are some links to the things mentioned above. Hope this helps and let me know if you need anything else. (Thanks for the intro DK)
Tim

City of Huntington, West Virginia
Welcome to Marshall University
Huntington Museum of Art, Huntington, WV
Huntington Symphony Orchestra of Huntington, West Virginia
Pullman Square - Restaurants Shopping Entertainment
Greater Huntington Park and Recreation District
Big Sandy Superstore Arena - Huntington, WV
Welcome To Your Huntington Funny Bone
Modern Photo Album | Keith-Albee Performing Arts Center, Inc. (http://www.keithalbeearts.org/node/133 - broken link)
Welcome To The Transit Authority's Homepage

Old 01-24-2008, 06:18 AM

4,714 posts, read 11,213,380 times
Bailey: You do such a great job with the stats on WV...I had to give you a brownie point.
If Manchin had a brain, he would hire you to provide stats on a forum recognized
nationally, like this one. dk

Old 01-24-2008, 06:39 AM

3,787 posts, read 6,155,876 times
Thanks for the compliment DK. You do a pretty good job promoting the state yourself. The governor wouldn't have to pay me to do such a job though. I love this state so much I'd do it for free! Especially if it helps the state grow and prosper in order to ensure that my children and their children can stay in this great state if they so choose. WV does such a poor job in general promoting itself as a wonderful place to live, sometimes the citizens have to step up and fill the void. It's sad that even the people who live here often don't know what the state has to offer. You hear so much about the poor rankings and the bad press but people often don't hear about the good things that the state has. People like us are just helping to fill that void and show others what the state has to offer and how passionate it's people are about living here. Montani Semper Liberi!
Tim

Last edited by tbailey1138; 01-24-2008 at 06:55 AM..

Old 01-24-2008, 11:27 AM

394 posts, read 1,236,024 times
I would stick to Huntington or Charleston, as those are the only two cities that come to mind that come close to fitting your requirements, especially since you'll be working in Charleston.

Old 01-27-2008, 09:02 PM

396 posts, read 772,295 times
Guys, you forgot Marshall's Graduate School campus in Charleston! MBA, M in Health care administration and several other programs.
DKennedy- Charleston is not a chemical dump. It's clean and nice city. I live here and feel no influence of chemical industry. BTW Dupont plant looks gorgeous at nighttime.

Old 01-27-2008, 10:06 PM

1,128 posts, read 3,122,634 times
I grew up in Charleston and would highly recommend it to anyone who decides to move to WV. I moved to the DC area after college because there were far more job opportunities but a few of my friends from high school stuck around, they seem perfectly happy.

I wouldn't really classify Charleston as a mecca for young twenty something people as many of them tend to move to larger metropolitan areas in search of jobs, this doesn't really affect you however since you already have one. That being said, the area is in no way devoid of younger people, I seem to notice plenty when I come home to visit and go to some of the bars around town.

Public transit in Charleston involves riding the KRT (Kanawha Rapid Transit), it is a bus service that runs throughout the Kanawha Valley and to be perfectly honest that is all I know about it, I never rode it once in my 20 or so years of living there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia