Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 08:28 AM

4,714 posts, read 13,294,077 times

Advertisements

As I said in a few posts back...the opportunity for teachers is in WV...it's getting better.

MoJo knows this mathematical fact: No teachers = no education
No education = no people
No people = no state

and the politicians need the people. They would be left to swindle themselves and the land would be one giagantic mountain removal project....wait a minute...maybe this is the plan after all...

anyway, GHO loot...I mean, look out there and get one of those great 9 month teaching jobs...or just go in as a sub for a while, while you get your Master's...
Whats that worth?...you will do very well, we all know that.

Mike Ca**** has just shot down the Gov's deep-sixing of the 'Promise Scholarship Program'...now they need to do two things to make it better...lower the GPA to 2.5 just like Pittsburgh and add funding to the program.

Every college education in West Virginia could be a free one if they would do it...we owe it to these kids, because of the taxation they will face.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2008, 09:00 PM

8 posts, read 26,653 times
A Wiccan teacher......I can't see that flying here......

Old 01-27-2008, 11:08 PM

1,981 posts, read 5,980,434 times
I still do not understand why someones religion or belief system should be detrimental to their teaching career. I mean, its clearly more bible beltish in the southern part of the state. I've noticed that since coming to college here in Huntington, they kind of are in the school-marm system here and Jesus is def. big here. I really don't think she would have a problem here though or in any other part of the state. I mean you can't push your views on students anyway thanks to a thing called separation from church and state... Which not only keeps Wiccan views from tainting the students, but from Christianity, Jewdism, and Islam from tainting students viewpoints. I say WELCOME TO WILD, WONDERFUL, hopefully ACCEPTING WV. I'm gay... hmm I wonder if they'd rather have an open teaching position than hiring a Wiccan, or in my position a gay man to teach children. Peoples views, beliefs, sexual orientation, etc should not matter in anything, especially education!

Old 01-27-2008, 11:21 PM

13,916 posts, read 39,195,413 times
GHO No it is not cheeper to live in WV any more...housing 3 bed adv $50,000 now $210,000...milk was $2.60 now $3.60...bread 60 cents now $1.20...eggs 98 cents now $2.10....gas $1.50 now $3.50 [then 2000....] And Everything keeps going up but the pay!!!

Old 01-28-2008, 02:08 AM

1,981 posts, read 5,980,434 times
Yes Katie, everything is going up.... But this isn't just a West Virginia phenomenon, its happening all across the United States and with the Bush administrations cuts to education and rising inflation, its not easy anywhere now, however, it is generally cheaper to live in WV than in most other states. Average home prices are no where near 210,000 in WV either, maybe in Berkeley and Jefferson Counties but that is it, and teachers are getting roughly a $5,000 cost of living pay increase this year, so the pay is going up. With the possibility of more pay raises in the future, especially for high growth counties.

Old 01-28-2008, 03:03 AM

13,916 posts, read 39,195,413 times
TO ALL what IS the cost of things in your area of WV???

Old 01-28-2008, 04:40 AM

4,947 posts, read 8,923,190 times
The biggest difference here is the cost of housing. People can sell their home in another area of the country for 5-$600,000 or more and then move here and buy the same house for nearly half the price of their previous home. Utilities are also cheaper here in part due to the abundance of coal and natural gas wells. Commute times in WV are also typically less as people don't usually drive as far for their jobs and they also don't have to sit in deadlocked traffic for any period of time. With gas at almost $3/gallon, that makes a huge difference. The cost of other daily items might be about the same but it's your house payment and your utilities that are going to take the biggest chunk out of your paycheck combined with how often you have to fill up your vehicle with $40 or more in gas. Huntington was recently ranked by Forbes as having the best cost of living in the entire US based on these things. I think that backs up what GHO is trying to say pretty well. Here's the link.
#130 Huntington WV - Forbes.com

Also, GHO is right about the hiring of teachers, etc. That's why there are discrimination laws in place for hiring/firing and if someone would be fired or not offered a job for any reason other than lack of qualifications or poor performance, the school board would be in major trouble. This pretty much applies across the US though.

Old 01-28-2008, 11:45 AM

4,714 posts, read 13,294,077 times
Who sells milk for only $3.60?
and where can you get a loaf of bread for less than $2.00
Eggs? $2.24 a doz on a good day..

New homes? $115/135 per sq. ft on your land...

We target a market of middle aged professionals from Maryland, Va and DC. They are selling their existing homes for just about a million, building bigger homes here for 300/400k and putting about 1/2 million in the bank...
just wise economics..they have bought cheaply in the other areas...worked there and will retire here and continue working as a sub-contractor to their same company...
and run the same cycle again in this area...good for us.
We have their investment capital to fuel our local economies and they are coming with positvie attitudes and Master's Degree's. What area of the USA would not want an influx of about 80,000 of these people in their region (Uniontown to Weston) during the next several years.

Last edited by David Kennedy; 01-28-2008 at 11:54 AM..

Old 04-18-2008, 12:38 PM

33 posts, read 36,664 times
Default Wv highest rate of obesity too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermurphy View Post
Hi I am considering moving my family from California. According to the national data bases West Virginia has a much better ed system than ours. How do you feel about the education system for both elementary and high school? We are looking at Charleston or Hunnington. I have read different reports...some say high crime and others say low crime, clean or dirty, so I really don't know what to think. Any feed back about being a teacher in this state? Also... we are wiccan. Is this an issue in this state? Being shunned is a definite no moving signal! LOL
join a gym if your comming here.

Old 04-18-2008, 12:40 PM

33 posts, read 36,664 times
No we love to cast out demons here too! So come and let us lay hands on you Too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia