U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 07:34 AM

169 posts, read 429,941 times
Are you now telling me I have to pay annual taxes on my bigscreen television?

I am looking at relocating to Weirton in the northern panhandle. My current insurance (full coverage) is $51 monthly and I was quoted $129 for the same coverage in Weirton. This is insane!

Then the young lady tells me if I'm not happy with the car insurance rate, I am really going to hate the homeowners rate???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2008, 07:37 AM

What is the state sales tax rate there now?

Old 01-30-2008, 08:02 AM

1,500 posts, read 4,929,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Star Rebel View Post
What is the state sales tax rate there now?
6%

Maryland just raised theirs to 6% also.

Old 01-30-2008, 08:40 AM

Well, atleat that's good news, lol. The sales tax here in west Texas is 8.75% and that varies from county to county. The lowest here is 8.25% and the highest is 9.25%.

Old 01-30-2008, 10:32 AM

4,715 posts, read 8,578,998 times
Don't worry about all these incidentals, Reb...pack the wagon and get the move on.
We have stores like Gabriels and great discount grocery chains..and an environment that can teach you how to streach a nickle..
The neighbors will show you all the in's and out's when they find out you are a returning son...a friend said it best years ago.

After going west to find the greener pasture, he returned the next year and said this. "I could make more money out there but it cost a lot more...here, a lot of favors and things translate into money...that's a bigger difference...we are staying here at home."

Old 01-30-2008, 10:57 AM

2,380 posts, read 4,376,987 times
I think you said you're moving to the northern Panhandle... Pennsylvania's sales tax is 6% too, but it exempts food and clothing.

Old 01-30-2008, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snorpus View Post
I think you said you're moving to the northern Panhandle... Pennsylvania's sales tax is 6% too, but it exempts food and clothing.
Yes, it looks like I will be moving to the Weirton area.

Old 01-30-2008, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kennedy View Post
Don't worry about all these incidentals, Reb...pack the wagon and get the move on.
We have stores like Gabriels and great discount grocery chains..and an environment that can teach you how to streach a nickle..
The neighbors will show you all the in's and out's when they find out you are a returning son...a friend said it best years ago.

After going west to find the greener pasture, he returned the next year and said this. "I could make more money out there but it cost a lot more...here, a lot of favors and things translate into money...that's a bigger difference...we are staying here at home."
I think your friend has the right perspective Dave. As soon as this house sells, this old boy is on his way home!

Old 01-30-2008, 12:20 PM

11,962 posts, read 7,465,198 times
insurance rates: are you sure you got all the deductions you're eligible for? car safety features built in, defensive driving, antitheft deterent systems, affiliations with orgs like unions, aarp or college alma maters, reduced distance to work, car parked in garage instead of on the street parking etc

property taxes outside the border: neighborhoods with less ownership tend to decline, encourage slum lords to let everything decay. WV created this tax as deterent for outside money to live too far removed from their investment. This is a good thing, IMO. If you want to live & invest here, welcome. If you want to take the money you're making in WV out of its economy, here's the price.

Old 01-30-2008, 12:36 PM

Well, according to the agent, the only discount I would get is if I had my home insured with them as well and she was only talking a $12 discount. I really can't believe insurance is that expensive in West Virginia. Ever since the federal goverment made it manditory in all states to have auto insurance, the industry became no more than scam artists. I have been driving 37 years, accident & ticket free with 26 of those years as a professional OTR trucker. To pay $129 a month for car insurance is just pure greed in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia