U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 01:06 PM

169 posts, read 437,626 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
In NY, the laws are strict, and are also supported by private groups MADD= mothers against drunk drivers, and SADD= students against drunk driving. The fire dept saves the wreckage, displayed on a lawn annually coinciding with prom season. If you know you're going to drink, have a plan ahead of time how you're getting home. Whats so hard?

I'm glad they got tough. I went to too many funerals as a teenager. As a child my entire family was nearly destroyed. If I live a million years I'll never forget the image of my mother with shards of glass in her face slumped over the steering wheel. It took 9 months of crude plastic surgery and she's permanently blind in one eye. The whole ordeal bankrupted us, which landed me and my sis in foster homes. My little sis was 3, and by the time she was 18 exhibited the onset of arthritis in the same injured areas. Had it not been a telephone pole stopping the spin, we would have kept going into a gas pump. Anyone believe in sympathy for drunk drivers now?

The reason why the governments only response can be to incarcerate/revoke license/high fines is because behavioral problems have such vague boundaries and measured improvements aren't solid. Addicts are notorious liars, invested in protected their addiction. Psychology is a 'soft' science. Bottom line is if someone can't handle their freedom, they need it rescinded.
Point well taken.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2008, 03:33 AM

1,958 posts, read 3,809,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Star Rebel View Post
I have a friend here in West Texas who just got a DUI about 4 months ago and his total cost when it was said & done was over $9K. That was his first offense and he is now on 5 years probation not to mention the insurance increase and he may lose his job because he's a truck driver by trade. They don't mess around here in Texas with DUI/DWI as well. I think that's pretty much the case nation wide.

I learned long ago to drink my beer at home and not drive. Don't get me wrong, I use to drink & drive in my younger days and I thank God I never had an accident or ever received a DUI. It's just not worth it today on so many levels.
I prefer to drink at home... If I do go out though and drink with friends, we always get a cab home. Hell its more fun and relaxing that way, not having to worry about who is the least drunk or risking it by driving home, or during the warmer months we actually walk. I miss summer

Old 01-31-2008, 08:43 AM

169 posts, read 437,626 times
Well, walking here drunk can still get you a free ride to the gray bar hotel. Actually in the Lone Star State, the ABC (Alcohol & Beverage Commision) can walk into any bar at any time and if you are drunk, they can arrest you for public intoxication and cart you off. I have actually witnessed this!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia