U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 09:11 AM

169 posts, read 429,703 times
Default WV Gun Laws

Can anyone tell me if I need to register my guns in WV when I get there?

Also, are guns considered personal property there? Meaning, here in Texas; guns are personal property and can be sold to or purchased from a private individual without going through a gun dealer.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2008, 06:32 PM

WOW, no shooters or gun collectors?

Old 01-31-2008, 06:42 PM

362 posts, read 953,045 times
I'm definitley NOT a gun person, but to try to help, I found these links:

About.com: http://www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/statelaws/23rdedition/westvirginia.pdf

Welcome to CarryConcealed.net (http://carryconcealed.net/index.php - broken link)

gunlaws.com - West Virginia Gun Law Links

Hope you find what you're looking for there.

Old 01-31-2008, 07:10 PM

11,962 posts, read 7,451,172 times
I have a question for gun owners. Which sign would deter you more, since No tresspassing/ no hunting signs get shot at...
"Biological clock ticking, ring already picked out, stray males be warned"
or
"menopausal woman running loose, back away slowly, avert your eyes"
any other ideas are welcome <weg>

Old 01-31-2008, 07:12 PM

Thanks so much. It looks like these articles cover all my questions & interests.

Old 02-01-2008, 03:42 AM

4,715 posts, read 8,571,563 times
When you get here as your guns are registered in another state that won't be necessary.
If you buy others here the proceedure is the same. If any of your guns are stolen and used in a crime, the FBI instant identification data base will identify them within 45 seconds.
Most people have a gun safe for their guns...insurance...
A gun permit for a concealed firearm is cheap...$20 for 5 years and obtained easily if you do not have a prior crimminal record. It seems to me that the attitude of this region is to have an armed public. West Virginians are responsible about this and we do not seem to have incidents with this armed society per se.
A laugher on the law books until the 1970's required the population to be under arms on sunday as they went to meeting (church) that law was removed with many others.
I see many women now with concealed weapons and they have a natural ability to shoot. My lady is a dead shot with a pistol...and my daughter-in-law too...she's from Hungary and has to travel a lot in her job...I was impressed with her shooting skills...If she was attacked and could get to her pistol, someone would have their A** shot off...

Old 02-01-2008, 06:16 AM

967 posts, read 1,943,832 times
Check for reciprocity for the Concealed Carry Permit. WV accepts my VA CCP.

One of the primary reasons I chose WV over many other states was for their view of guns and gun ownership. I remember when I was a 12, I was able to walk down the road with my .22 and not have the SWAT called.

While it's a good idea to have a CCP, I choose to "open carry". For a female, it is a STRONG deterent to any would be muggers/rapists.

My wife has a bumper sticker on her truck " I CARRY A GUN BECAUSE A COP IS TOO HEAVY" A lot of thumbs-up from passer-bys.

Mark

Old 02-01-2008, 12:39 PM

Well, I was more interested in the open carry laws more than anything. I never carry a concealed weapon so I have no need for a CCW permit but, I am use to carrying my Colt .45 Peacemaker on my hip and was just wondering how that would go down in WV?

As an old west re-enactor, I carry a real gun on my hip with live ammo in the belt & carry a SxS exposed hammer 12 gauge. I do remember having a .22 on my side years ago in WV but, you know how laws change all the time.

Arizona has the most lax gun laws I have ever seen. These folks walk down the street with guns on their hips like they did in the old west. When you walk into a saloon, you have to surrender your sidearm to the bartender or just leave it in the car before you go in. That's the way it should be everywhere as far as I'm concerned.

I gotta tell ya, if you want to live out your chilhood fantasy as a real cowboy... Tombstone is the place. You can walk down the same streets Wyatt Earp roamed with a six shooter on your hip and no one gives it a second look. I almost relocated there last year but, decided against it, lol.

Old 02-01-2008, 12:46 PM
x1x

227 posts, read 549,425 times
Default Harborlady

Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
I have a question for gun owners. Which sign would deter you more, since No tresspassing/ no hunting signs get shot at...
"Biological clock ticking, ring already picked out, stray males be warned"
or
"menopausal woman running loose, back away slowly, avert your eyes"
any other ideas are welcome <weg>
I think i would back off from a sign that say's,

(WE DON'T DIAL 911 WE DIAL 357)

Old 02-02-2008, 05:48 AM

967 posts, read 1,943,832 times
West Virginia is considering a bill to teach schoolchildren how to handle a gun and hunt safely its proponent hopes will increase state revenues from hunting licenses, a state lawmaker said Thursday.

"We will teach a hunting safety course during their physical education class," state senator and bill sponsor Billy Wayne Bailey told AFP. The courses would be imparted in secondary schools, from the eighth to 10th grade (13-16 years of age).
"They will learn gun safety, the proper use of fire arms. All the weapons will be disabled so there is no chance of discharging," he said, adding that the state Senate was expected to take up the bill next week.
"Hunting is an economic and cultural thing and we have seen a decline of hunting licenses over the past years," said the lawmaker, explaining that his bill would boost interest in hunting in West Virginia.
Children 10 years and older can already apply for a hunting license in West Virginia, which makes 1.5 billion dollars a year from hunting-related activities, the senator said. West Virginia is considering a bill to teach schoolchildren how to handle a gun and hunt safely its proponent hopes will increase state revenues from hunting licenses, a state lawmaker said Thursday.

"We will teach a hunting safety course during their physical education class," state senator and bill sponsor Billy Wayne Bailey told AFP. The courses would be imparted in secondary schools, from the eighth to 10th grade (13-16 years of age).
"They will learn gun safety, the proper use of fire arms. All the weapons will be disabled so there is no chance of discharging," he said, adding that the state Senate was expected to take up the bill next week.
"Hunting is an economic and cultural thing and we have seen a decline of hunting licenses over the past years," said the lawmaker, explaining that his bill would boost interest in hunting in West Virginia.
Children 10 years and older can already apply for a hunting license in West Virginia, which makes 1.5 billion dollars a year from hunting-related activities, the senator said.
-brings a tear to my eye!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia