Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2015, 09:15 PM

106 posts, read 153,400 times

Advertisements

Hello!

My husband and I have found the cutest, most perfect little cabin in the Sleepy Hollow neighborhood in Hedgesville. We like the more relaxed feel of it compared to the Woods. When we saw the deer stand in someone's front yard on the way to look at the house we knew we were home. We have a contract on the house and we're set to close Jan 22nd. We couldn't be more excited. It's the perfect spot for us. What types of people live there? It would be nice to make some friends in the neighborhood since it's kind of isolated. We are an early 30's couple with 2 young kids. Very into the outdoors, which is why we want to live there. We hike, bike, kayak, raft, hunt...you get the idea. We may be making assumptions, but it seems highly likely that we'd find people like us in that area. Where are our soon to be neighbors on this forum?

Any info you can give us on the area would be great! Thanks!

I really hope there is a sense of community there. I'm very social so mountain living is difficult in that respect. I'd still prefer mountain living over town living any day though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2015, 06:10 PM

240 posts, read 831,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nature mama View Post
Hello!

My husband and I have found the cutest, most perfect little cabin in the Sleepy Hollow neighborhood in Hedgesville. We like the more relaxed feel of it compared to the Woods. When we saw the deer stand in someone's front yard on the way to look at the house we knew we were home. We have a contract on the house and we're set to close Jan 22nd. We couldn't be more excited. It's the perfect spot for us. What types of people live there? It would be nice to make some friends in the neighborhood since it's kind of isolated. We are an early 30's couple with 2 young kids. Very into the outdoors, which is why we want to live there. We hike, bike, kayak, raft, hunt...you get the idea. We may be making assumptions, but it seems highly likely that we'd find people like us in that area. Where are our soon to be neighbors on this forum?

Any info you can give us on the area would be great! Thanks!

I really hope there is a sense of community there. I'm very social so mountain living is difficult in that respect. I'd still prefer mountain living over town living any day though.

Hello nature mama,

I bought land in Sleepy Hollow earlier this year. I enjoyed the neighborhood and the small lake so much this summer that I am about to build a cabin there. I live about 30 minutes from Sleepy Hollow, but plan to use the cabin as a getaway. I'm in my early 30s as well. I don't know a lot of people there, but I will say that the majority of owner's are out of state. All of the properties bordering me are vacation properties for people from Maryland and Virginia. The neighborhood is pretty quiet, but will get a little busier around holidays. If you enjoy the outdoors you picked the right place. There's miles of roads to bike or walk, the development has access into Sleepy Creek forest for hunting as well as hiking trails, a softball field, and of course the 7 acre lake.

PM if you have any questions.

Old 12-25-2015, 09:39 PM

I should have expected it, but I didn't consider the possibility that there would be mostly vacation homes there. I wonder how many permanent residents there are, and how that works with the HOA. Do non residents get a vote as far as the HOA goes? We will be near the end of Audubon rd so we probably won't see many people near us. My husband likes that. Haha. We live right in Shepherdstown right now so we'll be happy to get back to the quiet. He comes from a farm, and I lived in Shannondale before moving to Shepherdstown. If I were to continue living in town this is the place I'd do it for sure. But I'm ready to walk out my door and into undeveloped land. I used to spend a lot of time at sleepy creek in my late teens, early twenties. I loved being there in the cokd months when the summer crazy crowd cleared out. I just can't wait for that tranquil feeling that comes with living in a neighborhood like sleepy hollow. Do you kayak in the lake?

Old 12-26-2015, 10:35 AM

240 posts, read 831,044 times
Quote:
I should have expected it, but I didn't consider the possibility that there would be mostly vacation homes there. I wonder how many permanent residents there are, and how that works with the HOA. Do non residents get a vote as far as the HOA goes? We will be near the end of Audubon rd so we probably won't see many people near us. My husband likes that. Haha. We live right in Shepherdstown right now so we'll be happy to get back to the quiet. He comes from a farm, and I lived in Shannondale before moving to Shepherdstown. If I were to continue living in town this is the place I'd do it for sure. But I'm ready to walk out my door and into undeveloped land. I used to spend a lot of time at sleepy creek in my late teens, early twenties. I loved being there in the cokd months when the summer crazy crowd cleared out. I just can't wait for that tranquil feeling that comes with living in a neighborhood like sleepy hollow. Do you kayak in the lake?
I believe I read somewhere that there are 80 to 100 full time residents in Sleepy Hollow. So there's a decent amount of permanent residents, but I'd say the majority are vacation homes. To answer your question, as with pretty much any HOA, all property owners have the same vote. If you are near the end of Audubon I bet you have a nice view. Yes, I use a kayak on the lake. The lake ranges from 2ft to 32 ft. deep. The lake gets grassy on the shallow end in the summer. You will hear a lot of stories about the depth of the lake, it may have been 60ft originally, but the deepest I found was approx 32ft. out from the main dock at the dam.

Old 12-26-2015, 10:59 AM

Awesome. We usually kayak whitewater, but there is plenty of fun to be had on a lake too. It'll be a great place to teach our daughters the basics before we put them on moving water. The meadow branch right there has some steep creek boating when there is enough rain, I hear. Some of my friends have padded it. We'll definitely be checking that out first chance we get. There's so much cool stuff to do there! I'm getting more and more impatient the closer it gets to our close date. The appraisal is next.

Old 12-27-2015, 04:07 PM

3,202 posts, read 4,431,956 times
I've lived in Sleepy Hollow since 2003.My parents have had a place over at the Woods since 1978 so i've been around the area for a long time.Years ago neither development had hardly any fulltime residents,both now do.I much prefer the more 'relaxed feel' of Sleepy Hollow too.

There is plenty of outdoors stuff to do without leaving the neighborhood.Most of the full time residents I know are originally from Maryland.Part of Sleepy Hollow is in Berkeley county,part of it in Morgan county so where your kids will go to school depends on your address.You'll meet a lot of parents at the schoolbus stop during the school year and at the lake in the summer.

They do a pretty good job of snow removal,being on Audubon helps since its the first and most road plowed and only blacktop one.I live pretty near the front of the development,off Audubon,right before the lake.Four wheel drive is a plus but many survive without it.

There are always open seats on the HOA board,nobody wants to run or serve on it so they will be happy if you do.Most years you would be unoppossed.

Old 12-29-2015, 06:13 PM

Thanks for the beta, imbobbb!

The kids will be homeschooled so no worry about that. I'm still hoping we meet some people with little ones for them to play with.

I got a CRV specifically because we are moving there. haha. I have to show up for work no matter what.

I don't think I'm HOA board material :-D

Old 12-30-2015, 10:16 PM

3,202 posts, read 4,431,956 times
Quote:
. I have to show up for work no matter what.

I don't think I'm HOA board material :-D
Well getting DOWN the hill by the lake on the way to work isn't an issue,{well usually no one slides into the lake},its getting Up on your way home that is the adventure.

You can breathe,write,and turn on a computer....you are qualified for our HOA board......it helps if you drink too.

Old 12-30-2015, 10:36 PM

Haha. Sounds like my kind of board! Question is, what is the drink of choice for the board members?
I'm actually on the gravel part of audubon. I hope they plow that too. I'd be happy to be stuck and not have to go into my awful job though

Old 02-02-2016, 06:50 PM

Hey there! We got moved in this weekend! It was quite an adventure moving in with all that snow around the cabin but we made it happen. God I love this neighborhood! It feels more like home than anywhere I've ever lived! I watched the sun and the moon rise from behind the mountains right from my living room. I slept on the futon there with my older daughter the first 2 nights while my husband kept the littlest one at his parents to keep her safe from the moving mess. We heard the coyotes last night! And we met the neighbors who live at the end of Audubon and they were super sweet. I still can't believe I own a little cabin in the woods now. Pinch me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia