U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 10:45 AM

11,961 posts, read 12,848,960 times

Advertisements

Through a fluke of timing, I'm eligible to vote twice in the primaries due to relocating from NY to WV. Ethically, I should refrain from voting in WV, but my new home state has a pretty poor turnout. I can't lie, I'm disappointed in that, but I'd like to understand what thats about instead of judge.

http://www.wv.gov/offsite.aspx?u=http://www.wvsos.org/elections/main.htm (broken link)

Assuming the statistics at this site are 100% true, I'd like to know why West Virginians so regularly forfeit their right to participate in shaping the government they want to have through the election process.

Do you prefer not to be american?
Is it someone else's job to worry or think about it?
Does your indecision cause you to not make a choice?
Do the choices seem so identical that it seems irrelevant to bother?
are you afraid of change, or afraid to hope, or both?
any other reason I can't think of?

I'd also like to know what you believe long term apathy has yielded.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2008, 11:19 AM

169 posts, read 554,259 times
OK, I give up. Why don't they vote?

Old 02-05-2008, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Star Rebel View Post
OK, I give up. Why don't they vote?
I'm afraid they don't believe in america anymore.

Old 02-05-2008, 01:47 PM

4,367 posts, read 7,219,264 times
I think you hit the nail on the head when you called it apathy. Too many have the attitude of "my vote won't count, why should I bother?" Then they go out and complain about the results of the election and the leadership that is in place. Sometimes I really wonder if some don't just want another reason to complain.

Old 02-05-2008, 02:38 PM

they had a public service commercial running here- people bragging about how the bag of leaves was their hero- followed by- if you don't vote, its the same as voting for a bag of leaves
very effective campaign. people registered for parties in record numbers, i think because that ad, plus bush approval rating in the 20's turned them around

Old 02-05-2008, 03:31 PM

4,714 posts, read 11,966,581 times
Those arn't bags of leaves...they are 'gas bags' filled with cash...I thought politics were dead...McCain showed us that 'good ole boy' politics are alive and well today...all those 'Coal Friendly' Romney supporters thought they had it won...

Harborlady: We still have plenty of dead people here to vote...why should the living bother...
Don't beleive me?, just go to any county south of Charleston and follow a school bus on election day...Whiskey and a $5 dollar bill...its a way of life...tradition.

Old 02-05-2008, 04:16 PM

396 posts, read 828,557 times
Guys, I am a little bit confused: Are we going to have republican primaries in May? They had a convention today. Does it mean no primaries needed anymore?

Old 02-05-2008, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kennedy View Post
Those arn't bags of leaves...they are 'gas bags' filled with cash...I thought politics were dead...McCain showed us that 'good ole boy' politics are alive and well today...all those 'Coal Friendly' Romney supporters thought they had it won...

Harborlady: We still have plenty of dead people here to vote...why should the living bother...
Don't beleive me?, just go to any county south of Charleston and follow a school bus on election day...Whiskey and a $5 dollar bill...its a way of life...tradition.
1. McCain will win (R) because of his support in other states. He didn't give the votes away out of generosity, but because of strategem in winner takes all stakes. WV McCain voters complied because its a statistical way to voice their weighted position. Who didn't bother to show up helped/hurt whom?

2. democracy in action means that everyone puts an oar in the water on election day and tells the government which way they want this ship we're on together steered.
Refusing to put an oar in because you suspect someone on the other side of the boat is cheating only doubly guarantees they'll get by on it. Tacit acceptance of crime is facillitation in the eyes of the law. The alternative to apathy is to row harder with campaigns of your own.

Old 02-05-2008, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Al View Post
Guys, I am a little bit confused: Are we going to have republican primaries in May? They had a convention today. Does it mean no primaries needed anymore?
good question al, according to CNN WV is voting today, but the listing of states doing primaries doesn't include wv.

I think repubs only in WV today, better get driving if you're repub

Old 02-05-2008, 04:24 PM

4,714 posts, read 11,966,581 times
yes, we will still have the May Primaries....get registered and get out to vote...please.

That convention today was what they call in the vernacular: A dog and pony show.

Dad voted only once after he died...my guess is: Straight Democratic...and would have voted in the General Election that year, but I asked them to pull his name from the registration....boxes were marked as to him voting in the Primary and being elligible..

Disrespect...How can they use a person like that after they are dead?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia