Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2016, 09:22 AM

3 posts, read 3,277 times

Advertisements

I currently work and live in the city of Baltimore. But my goal is to move to a more rural area. I'd like to potentially buy an older colonial home or a cabin.

My job allows me to work from home. But I'd still have to drive in a few times a month. So I'm trying to find somewhere roughly 2 hours from Baltimore - if I can.

My top priority is to live in a place where you can get a lot for your money. And like I said, I am definitely interested in a rural place with a winter town / cabin-like feel.

Is there any place in West Virginia that fits this description? I've been told to check this area out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2016, 01:34 PM

1,642 posts, read 2,405,013 times
Two hours definitely limits you from the best winter towns in the state. With that constraint, you'd probably be looking at places in Morgan County or Hampshire County. However, if you wanted the best options, it would be places like Thomas, Davis, Parsons, Elkins, Marlinton, or other areas, especially Tucker, Randolph, and Pocahontas Counties. That's where some of the best resort areas are, like Snowshoe, Timberline, and Canaan Valley. I'd also look at areas in Preston County (Kingwood, Terra Alta, Rowlesburg) as it isn't too far to I-68.

Old 01-06-2016, 02:05 PM

79 posts, read 96,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aces156 View Post
I currently work and live in the city of Baltimore. But my goal is to move to a more rural area. I'd like to potentially buy an older colonial home or a cabin.

My job allows me to work from home. But I'd still have to drive in a few times a month. So I'm trying to find somewhere roughly 2 hours from Baltimore - if I can.

My top priority is to live in a place where you can get a lot for your money. And like I said, I am definitely interested in a rural place with a winter town / cabin-like feel.

Is there any place in West Virginia that fits this description? I've been told to check this area out.
Likely easier to find something in Western Maryland along 68 instead. Have you looked in the Deep Creek area?

Old 01-06-2016, 10:21 PM

106 posts, read 151,925 times
Davis and Thomas are super awesome and perfect for that wintery, mountain feel. I wish I could live there myself. I'm about to close on a cabin in Sleepy Hollow in Hedgesville. There are a bunch of houses/cabins for sale there and it's an easy drive to Baltimore. Davis would be quite a hike. Also the western MD idea isn't too bad too. Friendsville and the surrounding area is pretty and right off of 68.

Old 01-06-2016, 10:26 PM

Also, Davis has that young, hip feel with lots of outdoorsy types...if you're into that. Plus it has the purple fiddle for music. My friend from Elkins said that all the old people in Elkins don't like davis because "that's where all the hippies live" hahaha

Old 01-06-2016, 10:28 PM

Another close place would be Berkeley Springs. There are definitely some mountain cabins there and you could hop right on 70 to get to bmore.

Old 01-10-2016, 05:10 PM

3,202 posts, read 4,409,343 times
Two hours is going to limit you to Berkeley or Morgan county in West Virginia.There are plenty of inexpensive cabins west of Hedgesville and around Berkeley Springs.Berkeley Springs is a pretty cool town a couple miles off the interstate.

Pennsylvania and Maryland have some options in the same general area,but West Virginia will likely be cheaper to buy and most taxes are cheaper in West Virginia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia