U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2016, 01:02 PM

1,080 posts, read 726,361 times

Advertisements

In a few weeks, I'm going to be driving almost 700 miles one-way from Atlanta to Pittsburgh. My best friend was recently trasnsferred there and I'm going up for 10 days to visit and the expense of airfare and a rental car for the entire time was ridiculous, so I'm driving it.

Over 200 miles of my trek is in West Virginia. The three roads I'll be using are I-77N, US-19N, and I-79N. I tend to drive 12-13mph over the limit on interstates if traffic is light and roads are dry. It's not an issue beccause much of time I have someone riding my bumper wanting to go faster. I just move over and let the fly by me and they'll find any cops ahead before I will!

Are there any areas or specific exits or towns/cities where speed traps are common? I'd rather nt get a ticket and I try to stay inconspicous, but you never know....

Thanks in advance for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2016, 01:15 PM

1,576 posts, read 1,801,941 times
Fayetteville and Summersville on US 19. Don't even try and push the limit there. Slow down around Bridgeport on I-79. PA isn't too much of an issue except maybe near Waynesburg. Just about everywhere else is normal, with cops waiting in the median every so often. Most of the time you'll be able to see them with plenty of time to slow down.

Old 01-11-2016, 01:47 PM

12,128 posts, read 30,040,089 times
Drive the Speed Limit You wont have to worry about Traps!

Old 01-11-2016, 02:39 PM

1,576 posts, read 1,801,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
That's also a good strategy.

Old 01-11-2016, 02:45 PM

1,080 posts, read 726,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Well thank you Captain (or would it be Ms. Captain) Obvious! =)

I realize that but I have a very difficult time doing that. Driving an average of 78mph vs. 65mph will decrease my drive time from 10hrs to 8hrs 20min. That's pretty significant.

I have a very difficult time driving the speed limit if the road conditions and traffic are obviously safer to drive faster than that. It's an innate drive (no pun intended) that I have to get to my destination as quick as I safely can. My car will brake quicker and handles better (emergency avoidance maneuvers, if necessary) than 95% of the cars on the road. I am also a VERY defensive driver and I'm always visually scanning as far down the road as I can see as well as keeping an eye on what the cars around and in front of me are doing.

Old 01-11-2016, 03:14 PM

Set the Cruse Control for each states speed limits. Some states Fines are like $1000!! You really want to add $1000 per ticket to your costs?

Old 01-11-2016, 08:49 PM

Now a days Speed is watched by Cameras! Not a cop in a car Chasing you down & giving you a paper ticket!

Old 01-11-2016, 09:49 PM

705 posts, read 880,433 times
Fayetteville/Summersville on US 19, like elewis said, don't push it you will get popped. By far the worst in the State of WV

Also from Wythevile Va to WV Stateline, around the tunnels and in Bland County, Va. Just because you pass one doesn't mean they aren't 2-3 more hiding, sneaking, and conniving on the side of the road, on a exit, or on the other side of a tunnel feening to get your hard earned money into there coffers.

Old 01-12-2016, 12:14 AM

805 posts, read 1,194,816 times
Also worth noting is that the pace is generally slower through West Virginia and western Pennsylvania than in the Atlanta area. I have friends who moved to the Atlanta area and visit them on occasion and the pace is a lot faster. I found myself regularly driving 80-85 mph just to keep up with traffic when I was there, which is unusual for me. If you are used to driving fast, then you may stand out more because generally the drivers are slower in this part of the country.

Old 01-12-2016, 12:27 AM

15,795 posts, read 9,753,181 times
So, you admit you are the one who has the problem controlling yourself enough to obey the law, and you are pissed at people for pointing out that all you need to do is go the speed limit and you will be ok ? If you can't pay the fine, don't do the crime.

We recently picked up a Mach 1 Mustang in Pa and drove it to Florida, and simply set the cruise control on the speed limit and had no worries. It is easy to do if you simply are mature enough to do it.

Don
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia