Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2016, 04:36 PM

778 posts, read 795,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
What are the advantages and disadvantages of Charleston vs other WV cities? Are houses cheaper or more expensive there? Are there a lot of crime, gangs, meth, homeless alcoholics, etc.? Are the doctors more or less competent than in other cities and states? Are there a lot of sleazy lawyers there, and corrupt cops? Do you feel safe walking at night?
I am not sure anyone here can answer that question without bias. I would feel challenged to do so and some here should not even try.

First, West Virginia does not have any true cities. We have large towns that call themselves that but they lack a lot of what most across America find a requirement to call an urban center a city. Part of it has to do with population but more of it has to do with the demographics of the existing population. It generally - imo- takes a large population in the 18-24 range that plans to live there and make a life there as the grow into 20-somethings and on into 30-somethings as they produce children. Most of the people in the that age range in West Virginia are looking for the nearest exit once school is over.

Of the towns in West Virginia that you might marginally classify as a city - Charleston, Huntington and Morgantown - each are one industry towns and that makes them one dimensional. Huntington and Morgantown are college towns with all of the good and bad that goes with that. Charleston, as the capitol is a government and business center. All three serve as retail hubs for their areas of the state but Charleston's reach in that area is probably greater since it does not sit on or near the state border where its influence ends.

Housing is probably the most expensive in Morgantown, corrupt land lords and astronomically overpriced roach-infested hovels abound. To its credit, the city is trying to crush that activity but it is an uphill battle and it is not going to end any time soon. Units added to the stock, do not reduce the average cost and often slightly raise it because of the newer amenities included. Housing would be enough to keep me out of Morgantown even though the town has many, many other wonderful perks.

Charleston is probably the next expensive housing market, but for a different reason. Much of Charleston is owned by out-of-state trusts that mire the legal recourse of the city to redevelop. as a result new housing happens almost exclusively outside the city limits - which are not large. Charleston legal footprint is very tiny and it is sits in a 30 mile long valley with many other satellite towns such as Dunbar, Cross Lanes, South Charleston, Nitro, St Albans, Montgomery, Rand, Belle, Chesapeake, Marmet, Pinch, etc... This can give the valley a larger feel and provide a better value in housing.

Huntington probably has the cheapest housing, even though it is a college town. Marshall is about a 3rd the size of WVU and Huntington is larger than Morgantown and thus Marshall has a smaller impact on the housing cost. It still has the shabby stock of college hovels but they are clustered nearer to Marshall leaving the rest of the town less affected.

Medically, Huntington is a distant 3rd to either Charleston or Morgantown and it is an argument which of those two cities has the better health system. Ruby versus Charleston Area Medical. I think CAMC is bigger and better than Ruby, but as I said, that can lead to a debate with good points on both sides. St Mary's and Cable Midland in Huntington do ok but that duo is a far cry from the competition. Still they serve Huntington well and then Huntington also has the VA hospital.

Sleazy Lawyers? I did not know there was any other kind. Charleston probably wins that category as the worst simply for being what it is, the business and governmental center of the state. Where Huntington and Morgantown have aging or squat office towers the 2 dozen office towers in Charleston gleam with glass sided buildings housing many law firms. Charleston wins the sleazy lawyer race hands down.

Crime and feeling safe at night. I don't think I feel unsafe walking any where in any of these towns day or night. But that is not to say there is no crime. There was once a time when West Virginia cities were paragons of safety and crime-free living but the 1980s had to end. Crime in West Virginia is tied to the demographics of the town. Morgantown has most of its crime tied to the college age perpetrator. You can imagine that sort of issues they get into. Charleston and Huntington crime is imported. Generally if something is in the news, the name of Detroit comes up in the first couple of sentences almost ever time.

I know a few State Troopers and I was chatting with them the other day about the go-pro drone problem that is starting to be recognized in Charleston and crime in general came up. It is not politically correct to say it but they at least have the perception that if you are not black, do not have black associations and do not interact in the drug trade, there is virtually no incident of crime in your life. It is a very racist thing to say, but I think it is also very true. Sad that. Criminologist are big on patterns and profiling and the data seems to lead to disturbing aspects that those with a social conscious feel uncomfortable admitting: crime in West Virginia is either Black, drug related and most of the time, both.

I am sure others will offer views far different from my own and that is really what you are looking for, a collage of views that give a clearer picture. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2016, 06:20 AM

423 posts, read 1,237,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt .45 View Post
nope, I converse with everybody, like I said, I have actually talked to people who do like it here, just the ones that dont happens way more.....the Morgantown is growing argument doesnt work, alot of people are just movng here for their jobs/career paths....same thing happens all over the country, people move somewhere to follow the money, but it never compares to where they came from, so they generally dislike the place but just tolerate it....in fact thats another one I get alot, people from Pittsburgh area with jobs in Morgantown and didnt wanna commute 70 long miles, so they reluctantly live in Morgantown but cant wait to escape back up to Pittsburgh every weekend.....
I don't think that I would equate the sentiment of "I had to leave home to find a job and I came here, but I can't wait to move back home" to "WV is a horrible place to live and everybody wants to leave". I've lived and worked in Northern Virginia for the last 30 years. NOVA is a beautiful place with a thriving job market and every amenity, but it's not home. I'll stay here since my kids will probably remain here - but it's still not my home. In NOVA, I'm surrounded by Pittsburghers who reluctantly live here and can't wait to escape back to Pittsburgh ... not because this is a horrible place, but that place is home. I've never met anybody from Pittsburgh who doesn't wish that they were still living in Pittsburgh.

Old 09-15-2016, 05:07 AM

1,229 posts, read 859,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caden Grace View Post
Statistically, you are within 3 feet of a Black Widow spider at all times in West Virginia. Most are in the spaces in the floor and walls and there are usually some in the nooks and crannies of your car. It is a given and might freak out some but it has been that way since there were people and Black Widow spiders.

The Brown Recluse has officially not made it to West Virginia as a habitat. The closest it gets to the Mountain State is central Kentucky, perhaps a bit more east to as far north as Cincinnati and Portsmouth, but not as far as Huntington. That does not mean you wont find one as they can be brought in unintentionally when someone travels from an area where they are and arrives at their destination in West Virginia. These isolated incidents would last only for the life time of that particular Brown Recluse.

Most of the spiders people think are Brown Recluse are actually the Huntsman spider. It has a similar coloration and aggressive attitude and while like all spiders it is venomous it is not on the same order as the Brown Recluse. Unfortunately, the Huntsman is a larger spider and can scare the heebie jeebies out of you if find one unexpectedly in your house.
I was up floating the upper Yough River, out of Friendsville a couple weeks ago...and about 4 miles down in an eddy where there is a calm pool and large boulders people jump off, I saw some huge spiders on the sides of the boulders that are called " fishing spiderers" or " Dock Spiders" as they're apparently called down in Texas.

I saw a black one that had a huge body and a leg span nearly as large as the palm of my hand. Outside of a Tarantula, I had never seen spiders that large in the states. They look like their bite would hurt....but apparently they are no danger to humans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia