Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2016, 09:42 PM

65 posts, read 79,565 times

Advertisements

My daughter and son-in-law live on a civil war era farm just outside of Sistersville. They love it there. They keep pushing/pulling us to move out there. We are retired with a solid income. Any information on the area would be most welcome. I have been out for a visit, but it was in the summer a few years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2016, 11:18 AM

1,084 posts, read 1,880,843 times
That would depend a whole bunch on your life style and, quite possibly, your willingness to drive to the things you like to do.

Very small quiet town with friendly folks but not a lot of social/cultural things offered with driving.

Old 05-14-2016, 10:36 AM

6 posts, read 9,190 times
My advice? Don't. I am a transplant here to WV and am miserable. WV is so poor and the welfare as only income lifestyle that folks teach their children is unreal. The culture here is non existent. Schools are horrible. I could go on but I won't. My family and I are currently planning a move from WV. I've been here since 1998 and I'm done. lol

Old 05-14-2016, 03:44 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,797,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nibsie View Post
My advice? Don't. I am a transplant here to WV and am miserable. WV is so poor and the welfare as only income lifestyle that folks teach their children is unreal. The culture here is non existent. Schools are horrible. I could go on but I won't. My family and I are currently planning a move from WV. I've been here since 1998 and I'm done. lol
WV is kind of big you probably live in one of the really rural areas.

Old 05-14-2016, 04:16 PM

632 posts, read 831,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzee8 View Post
My daughter and son-in-law live on a civil war era farm just outside of Sistersville. They love it there. They keep pushing/pulling us to move out there. We are retired with a solid income. Any information on the area would be most welcome. I have been out for a visit, but it was in the summer a few years ago.
If you plan on moving to Sistersville....it's a long way from anywhere. It's in one of the most rural and poor WV counties. If that works for you, that's great, but just be aware of what you're getting yourself into.

And ignore Nibsie's comment. WV is a great state with a lot to offer. But as with anywhere in the country, it depends on the area of the state

Old 05-14-2016, 09:24 PM

870 posts, read 1,568,534 times
Tyler County is rural, but it's not as poor as some of the southern counties. Sistersville is a clean kept little town. Now when you get out toward Middlebourne, it does get very rural. It's somewhat isolated though, but Parkersburg and Wheeling are within an hour's drive. Marietta, OH is even closer. New Martinsville, which is the closest town of any size, is about 15 minutes from Sistersville. It does have a little bit of shopping and home to Quinets Restaurant, a local favorite.

Old 05-14-2016, 10:47 PM

79,914 posts, read 44,174,531 times
Sistersville isn't rural. While not a lot to do there, there are some things that you can do that you can do in fewer and fewer places. Not many places still have a ferry to cross the river. The resturaunt on the other side has some very good food also. Not Quinets level, but sheesh, if you ate there a lot you would soon gain 70 lbs. (some of the best food around) We take a trip to Quinets a few times a year from Williamstown the food is so good.

While it's not something I would want to do every day, the drive into Parkersburg or Wheeling isn't bad.

Old 05-15-2016, 11:55 AM

778 posts, read 794,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzee8 View Post
Retired with a solid income means your quality of life questions no longer involves things like schools, commutes to work or the proximity to shopping centers. You are getting advice on those things and as someone in your position knows, those things may be nice but they are hardly important.

Your prime concerns are proximity to doctors, a fully capable medical center and a reliable ability to travel even in the worst of seasonal weather. You will be making your own entertainment most days as that is what retired is about in West Virginia.

If your idea of entertainment is shopping 24/7, then no place in West Virginia is for you. We have a couple of small cities that can give you some of that but even they have limited choices as there are many national outlets not represented in West Virginia.

But, there is a magic quality to living in rural any where, but I think especially in West Virginia and that means marching to a different drum.

The locations in and near Sistersville are just as much Ohio in nature as they are West Virginia since they all cluster along the Ohio River. In Parkersburg you have a major medical center and a plethora of physicians. There are also many shopping choices within an hours drive of your location and that drive will be a pleasant one most days. When you are retired such drives along a beautiful river and through picturesque countryside is a luxury unto itself.

Moving to Sistersville, would let you get away from it but not so far that if life interrupted you could not deal with any emergency. If proximity to Parkesburg is a concern, then select a location a bit south of Sistersville. No matter what you choose I think you should plan a short vacations to hang out in Pakersburg/Marietta and see what that part of the option has for you. You already have the civil war era farm ruralness under your belt.

Good luck.

Old 05-28-2016, 05:01 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,310,798 times
Looking at WV, too, for retirement. How about taxes? I know I can google it but...since I'm here.

Old 05-28-2016, 09:53 PM

469 posts, read 576,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Looking at WV, too, for retirement. How about taxes? I know I can google it but...since I'm here.
There are state taxes in regards to wages earned, and the gas tax is medium-high as far as the national average is concerned. If you want to buy land to retire on here though, property taxes are super low, amongst the lowest in the nation. MY SO and I came here to go to WVU supposedly temporarily, but after living here a year, we don't plan on leaving. West Virginia is great in so many ways, very underrated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia