Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2008, 11:35 AM

95 posts, read 466,428 times

Advertisements

North Central WV. People make a lot of money or very little.. not much of a middle class? I know it depends on what field a person works, but is this statement more true than other, more urban northern areas? Kind of a moot point but was just wondering.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2008, 11:43 AM

4,714 posts, read 13,309,748 times
What income levels are you using to divide these groups?

My neice was explaining what 'Average was' to her 15 yr old son...

She said average is working my a** off at two jobs..trying to make over 100k a year and doing it because he would be needing about 80k for college in three years and she didn't want to do a lot of loans for him...

She had to refresh her plan now that B*** wants to go to medical school...It will all work out...

Old 02-15-2008, 01:01 PM

lol. I get it. i'm just a silly college girl all caught up in the in between stages of life... thinking it is the worst thing ever. and the funny thing is one day I will look back and wish I could be 'me', where I am now, again.

EDIT: that was just a reflection of what I think about these days... thanks for the response..

Old 02-15-2008, 01:33 PM

1,946 posts, read 4,070,678 times
Sounds like you have alot on your mind.

Anyways, yes it does seem that most jobs in NC WV are higher paying jobs. Charleston for instance has alot of middle class jobs. Most jobs yearly wages for one person might be in the 30-45k range. Once you get past that, most of the higher paying jobs are in professional fields, and those are for the elite educated.

Old 02-15-2008, 04:09 PM

4,714 posts, read 13,309,748 times
Sarareed87: Prepare for the professional field. Consider a Master's as the lowest level of education you will accept. Working for a company means that you are a disposable commodity and at a certain place, in a certain time in the future, they will dispose of you.
It will be called any number of things...cost reductions, cyclic changes in the market or economy...downsizing or any other clever clap trap.

The one true thing that cannot ever be taken away is your education...make the commitment now to never let the learning lapse.

At 20 years old, you have the potential to live 100 more years...don't believe me, ask any life insurance agent.
Good health care and good living practices give that promise to you and to every member of your generation.

You are a frugal planner and you do not want to make mistakes...any mistakes you do make will give you experience in the learning process...accept them as helping you in your success.

Getting a Master's takes some time...that time period will be a maturation of life focus.
A person is only beginning to grasp that with a Bachelors Degree. Pick a carreer that will be needed and will be fun. Whatever it is, be prepared to become the very best in that field. Nothing short of that.

Always have it in the back of your mind to open your own business. Have complete control of the process from one end to the other. To be able to dictate the amount of money you want to earn and influence people to help you and you in turn help them.

Remember this: A Degree is only a peice of paper...it means nothing...anybody can get one...they can work for them and they can even buy them...the elite buy them from the very best schools...Harvard...Yale...daddy buys those Degrees for Junior and it gets them a great job..some become President...
What backs up a degree is integrity and humbleness...and the hard work ethic.
Educators hope that a few graduates will not be cheats and will have earned their paper.

The process is a growth experience where discipline and problem solving is learned and made familiar...It speeds up the maturation process...

You will not fail unless you will yourself to fail...now, go out there and win one for yourself and the gipper..

Last edited by David Kennedy; 02-15-2008 at 04:34 PM..

Old 02-18-2008, 07:28 AM

1,946 posts, read 4,070,678 times
Awesome pep talk DK!

Old 02-18-2008, 09:11 AM

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia