U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2006, 09:02 PM

39 posts, read 115,075 times
Snorpus thanks for your reply. I agree with that, and I can deal with the neighbors thing, I can keep to myself it thats the case, though I hope not I always have gotten along with my neighbors! I will be checking out the papers so hopefully I find something great. Thanks again for the replies everyone!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2006, 03:07 AM

4 posts, read 18,055 times
Default fairmont

hi, yes, 450 is very cheap and we do have a garage too! But keep in mind that jobs are not as high paying in this area, and I hate to say it, but Fairmont is somewhat lacking in the job market. I found a job that pays about 9.00/hr and then I found one for $11 hr, and that was considered very good. Now at my new job, luckily I am making over $12, it was hard to live off of the 9/hr job, since I had so much debt...anyways, I think I would check out the papers...may have given you the wrong website for the Fairmont newspaper, just incase here it is:

http://timeswv.com/

also, if you decide on Fairmont, stay away from the college, I mean living near there. It's expensive and there have been shootings, and it's just noisy and not the best area. THat's just my opinion, but I have to say many others may agree.

I wish I could help more on areas in Morgantown, or outside Morgantown......

hope it goes well!

Roisin

Old 11-30-2006, 01:02 PM

Is that the norm range for a house? That is unbelievably cheap IMO, like I said im used to upwards of 900 a month easily... I am excited to start looking!

Old 11-30-2006, 01:47 PM

2,379 posts, read 4,188,438 times
Default Rental Houses near Fairmont

I just went to the Fairmont paper, timeswv.com, Classifieds, Unfurnished Houses, and here's what I found:

2BR, Totally renovated, deck, yard, parking. $650 + utils
Rent to Own 3BR in Fairmont, $600.
Clean & Cozy 2BR, $400
4BR, 2BA HUD Home, $19,800.
3BR, Basement, Garage, $700 + security
3BR on East Side, no pets, lease for $400 + security

That will give you an idea of the range for Fairmont. I would expect Morgantown to be somewhat higher, especially near the University.

Snorpus

Old 11-30-2006, 05:45 PM

thank you so much! I will post again when I have more info, which I hope is tomorrow!

Old 12-01-2006, 04:54 PM

Talking Coming to town..

We are coming to visit in the next few weeks to get a feel for the city(ies) I will definitely check out Fairmont and Morgantown. Is there any other town in that vicinity that I should check out?

Thanks, Cant wait to visit your great state!

Old 12-02-2006, 11:13 AM

2,379 posts, read 4,188,438 times
Default Other Places to Look

Fairmont and Morgantown are about it, if you want to be in or near a place that legitimately can be called a city and still be 30 minutes or less from Morgantown. But all along I-79 south from Morgantown to Fairmont (and also going north towards PA, or east on I-68 towards Cheat Lake and Maryland), virtually every exit will have a small town or community.

It kinda depends on whether you want to be "out in the country", or closer to the amenities offered by a city. Like Florida (and unlike Pennsylvania), the school systems are county-wide, so you can live several miles out of town, and your children may go to the same school they would have, if you lived in the city.

Snorpus

Old 12-03-2006, 02:47 PM

47 posts, read 125,348 times
Default Welcome!

First of all let me say welcome to West Virginia! I think in the Northern areas such as Morgantown and Fairmont you will be just fine as a mixed races couple. Your children should have no problems there either. I live in Ritchie County and work in Wood County which is a couple of hours from there. Here we don't see many AA's at all and very few mixed marriages. I personally have no problem with it at all since we are only talking skin color I think with WVU being there you will see people of all races around. I've been to Morgantown and my brother used to work at one of the big hospitals there. Seems like a nice place to me. As for paying rent that is $1,000 per month....OUCH! We don't see prices like that much in WV at all. The average rent where I live is around $250 a month but of course we are OUT in the sticks. In Morgantown you are likely to find prices more around the $500 range I suspect. I hope you and your family will enjoy it here and welcome to The Mountain State! It is a breathtaking place to live. The drive here will have you in awe!
Best of luck!
Marilyn

Old 12-03-2006, 02:53 PM

47 posts, read 125,348 times
Default Another area to consider

If you aren't totally against a 35 to 40 minute drive to Morgantown I would suggest checking out Bridgeport and Clarksburg as well. They are a straight shot up the interstate to Morgantown. There is plenty of shopping in the area and restaurants. Just another place to consider. Good luck!
Marilyn

Old 12-03-2006, 05:35 PM

WV Proud~

thanks, I will check out those areas as well, are they south of Morgantown? I personally wouldnt be against a commute, but hubby is a different story. After battling the Central Texas traffic for years and the Central FL traffic for the last few months, he isnt very easily persuaded when it comes to commute time,LOL! And yes it is OUTRAGEOUS to rent here in Central FL. We are paying 925 for rent (put down 1st month + sec dep as well so 1850!!), 200 for elec 50 for water, by the time im done with cable, cell, house phone internet, etc i am easily into 1500+ a month so it can get crazy! I am excited at the prospect of maybe paying 1/2 that for living expenses!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia