U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 09:39 AM

4 posts, read 21,847 times

Advertisements

I don't think you'll have any problems at all in Morgantown. You will run into some idiots, but there are those everywhere. I doubt you will hear any more slurs about your race than we West Virginians do when we go out of state and listen to the occasional moron that ridicules West Virginia. I live in a rural West Virginia, teach in a rural town in Philippi, West Virginia, and I have personally taught two children in the last three years with mixed races. These families are very active, well known, and respected in the community and county.
I'm sure they probably have endured some "looks" over the years, but when that happens I always endure the "Mind over matter" philosophy - I don't mind, because idiots don't matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2006, 12:05 PM

39 posts, read 121,424 times
SH~

Thank you for that. I too didnt think I would have THAT much of a problem, I simply didnt know what to expect, so I thought I would ask. I am overwhelmed at the responses and if the town is anything like majority of the posts I have read, I think we will be OK. Thanks for the post!

Old 01-01-2007, 06:01 AM

8 posts, read 44,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmacksgirl View Post
SH~

Thank you for that. I too didnt think I would have THAT much of a problem, I simply didnt know what to expect, so I thought I would ask. I am overwhelmed at the responses and if the town is anything like majority of the posts I have read, I think we will be OK. Thanks for the post!
Hi
I would concur with the majority -- Morgantown will be fine for you. I lived there for 8 years and came to know many mixed-race families, through my association with the University. One of my good friends, a Sri Lankan was most impressed with the school system here -- his kids (all born in Sri Lanka) loved the learning environment.

I lived on Madison Avenue in the First Ward, one of the older areas of the town -- it had a wonderful, diverse population, and I know that if you moved into that neighbourhood you'd be most welcome.

I hope you find what you are looking for -- Morgantown is waiting for you and your family. Feel free to email me if you require more information.

Cheers
Kim

Old 01-11-2007, 09:33 PM

1 posts, read 3,826 times
Hi,

I have been reading this thread with great interest. We are also a mixed race couple with three sons who will be relocating to Morgantown in May 2007. My husband is AA and I am Caucasion. He will also be accepting a position at the WVU hospital. I truly hope the area is open to mixed race couples and children. My main concern is that my children are accepted

I have been searching rentals in the local Morgantown classifieds: www.dominionpost.com. There is also a home rental company: www.smithrentalsllc.com, however, some of the rentals appear to be student type housing. They will consider pets. This company has many 3 BR/2Bath townhomes: http://www.metropropertymgmt.net/. They will also consider pets.

Best of luck to you. I hope you are able to find suitable housing for your family!

Laurie

Old 01-12-2007, 08:57 AM

1 posts, read 3,825 times
I travel all over WV building housing communities. Recently I completed a housing development in Morgantown located off of exit 1 on I-68. This community has 2-3 br apartments and is actually mostly AA and mixed race couples. I'm not sure if this is what u are looking for but I'm sure you could get some very good feedback from this community if you visit. The community is called Cedar Glenn and is located on Scott Ave. off Exit 1. I hope this helps.

Old 01-23-2007, 08:31 PM

246 posts, read 721,555 times
Default highliner

JMACKSGIRL; I think you will find acceptance in any WV town with more than, say, 15k pop., but stay out of the backwoods! I am a career l.e.o. and cannot begin to describe all the half-wits that I've encountered from rural WV. For perspective, let me add that some of my family is from Mingo county, and not much klan activity occurs there. Also, let me reiterate that the cities here, especially in the north, are quite receptive to AA/mixed families, and intolerant idiots will not be encouraged by most of your neighbors. Welcome to WV, and I hope you love it as much as I do!

Old 01-26-2007, 07:58 PM

10 posts, read 43,092 times
I used to live in Morgantown and my mom and sister still live there. I think you will be fine----in Morgantown. We came for my parents' job at WVU. As everyone has said, the university community is very diverse and most of them are transplants as well.
I went to Morgantown high and I was not impressed w/ the level of education I received. I took mostly AP classes in high school and was still unprepared for college. It is very much a party high school w/ LOTS of partying, drugs etc. I don't know if there are any private high schools (there was only St. Francis when I lived there), but you might consider homeschooling.

Old 01-28-2007, 05:18 PM

232 posts, read 633,973 times
jamacksgirl come on down!! I lived in bridgeport for about a year and loved it. Ive lived here my whole life around charleston area. I have quite a few children and feel it is a safe place to raise them. As far as racism goes I dont think it will be a problem. It is no worse here than anywhere else. I find no matter were you go you always will have those closed minded people who want to look only at skin color and not what is on the inside. My niece lives in Morgantown now and loves it...hope you like sports especially football because that is all you will hear about is the mountaineers. I lived on a lake in Bridgeport called maple lake it was beautiful. It is funny we are wanting to move to FL in the spring/summer what part are you in? Any suggestions? I want to stay below Orlando because I am trying to escape the cold weather!!

Old 03-22-2009, 02:55 PM

1 posts, read 2,824 times
Default Race in WV

Hello, I live in wheeling,WV me and my husband and our four children we are all AA.and we came from NewYork,the city wheeling will not hire no AA even if you have the qualification.I been living in wheeling for a month now and I dislike this city because they are still racist and still living in the 60's now I have to find another that is not racist and will hire base on your qualification not your color or race.

ThankYou
twtsanders@gmail
I hope I help,GodBless

Old 03-22-2009, 03:03 PM

967 posts, read 1,978,006 times
Geez, let me guess, you're looking for work as a Grammar teacher? Can't imagine why a person of your towering intellect is having trouble finding work. Perhaps it's not that you're black, perhaps it's because you're not qualified for anything beyond McDonalds? If that.

Hmm, "mixed race"... does that mean you do 26.2, but the spouse like the 8K?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia