U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-16-2008, 02:25 PM

50 posts, read 312 times
Default a few places

Me and my wife are planning on taking a trip to tn once we get our tax return back and i have narrowed it down as well as i could to some towns we want to take a look at and i want yalls opinion. we want a town thats pet friendly, child friendly we have a 1 year old and will have more some day. is either in the mountains or is very close to them, none or very little crime. some good restaraunts,close to shopping (walmart,kmart,target etc), near some parks or somewhere for kids to play and preferably with a 2 or 3bedroom apt or home under 600$ a month. this is my list let me know which ones do not fit my description please.

Kingwood
Masontown
Newburg
Reedsville
Rowlesburg
Terra Alta
Tunnelton
Davis
Hambleton
Hendricks
Parsons
Thomas
Petersburg
Romney
Carpendale
Elk Garden
Fort Ashby
Ridgeley
Bath

I know thats a large list but here are some more requirements i want at least 6 inches of snow every winter, not alot of tourists if at all possible, prefer things to do such as bowling ally,skating ring, things of that sort. hope that helps some. thanks Luckyloki
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2008, 02:57 PM

4,715 posts, read 8,268,715 times
If I was going to do it all over again in Wv...I'd do it in Petersburg..good Republican county surounded by a sea of Democrats...Had a friend who went there after college and made a million dollars...with a discount store...her version of Gabriels...

Old 02-16-2008, 03:05 PM

1,048 posts, read 2,328,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyLoki View Post
Me and my wife are planning on taking a trip to tn once we get our tax return back and i have narrowed it down as well as i could to some towns we want to take a look at and i want yalls opinion. we want a town thats pet friendly, child friendly we have a 1 year old and will have more some day. is either in the mountains or is very close to them, none or very little crime. some good restaraunts,close to shopping (walmart,kmart,target etc), near some parks or somewhere for kids to play and preferably with a 2 or 3bedroom apt or home under 600$ a month. this is my list let me know which ones do not fit my description please.

Kingwood
Masontown
Newburg
Reedsville
Rowlesburg
Terra Alta
Tunnelton
Davis
Hambleton
Hendricks
Parsons
Thomas
Petersburg
Romney
Carpendale
Elk Garden
Fort Ashby
Ridgeley
Bath

I know thats a large list but here are some more requirements i want at least 6 inches of snow every winter, not alot of tourists if at all possible, prefer things to do such as bowling ally,skating ring, things of that sort. hope that helps some. thanks Luckyloki
Your trip sounds great but those towns are in West Virginia not TN...

Old 02-16-2008, 10:09 PM

50 posts, read 312 times
Yea i know lol, i am looking at tn,wv and nc sorry i meant to change that. do any of those towns fit my criteria?

Old 02-16-2008, 11:44 PM

34 posts, read 75,416 times
Tunnelton, Rowelsburg, Terra Alta, Parsons, Newburg, Reedsville are all nice little places but not much there. You would have to travel to do your shopping.
Kingwood, Masontown has a little more but not much. Masontown is within 20 minutes of Morgantown where you can get most of what you are looking for, but I do not recommend Morgantown because it is way too expensive, because of WVU being there. Rentals aren't cheap. Hope this helps you alittle. Good Luck with your search.

Old 02-16-2008, 11:46 PM

As far as the snow anything in the preston county area of WV would apply

Old 02-16-2008, 11:47 PM

morgantown has all the stores you are looking for and the bowling alleys

Old 02-17-2008, 08:20 AM

50 posts, read 312 times
Thanks for the help, so i am assuming from the posts to stay closer to morgantown? i have been to morgantown and i hated it lol..but living near it should not be so bad...is it mountainous near it?

Old 02-17-2008, 09:54 AM

241 posts, read 485,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyLoki View Post
Thanks for the help, so i am assuming from the posts to stay closer to morgantown? i have been to morgantown and i hated it lol..but living near it should not be so bad...is it mountainous near it?
No you don't have to stay close to Morgantown which is not particularly mountainous. WV is a big state with 55 counties.

Almost any area in WV will have a low crime rate. Some areas are more rural than others. Staying close to an interstate or good sized town will give you access to stores.

If you want snow you need to go to the higher elevations.

Here is a link to the topography of the state. You can see the more moutainous areas are in the eastern and southern part of the state.

West Virginia State Map - Cities, Roads, Counties, Rivers, Lakes, Topo

And here is one to the cities and roads.

Map of West Virginia Cities - West Virginia Road Map

You might want to broaden your search a bit.

Old 02-17-2008, 11:00 AM

107 posts, read 232,061 times
One of the most pet friendly place and activities for them I have seen is Lewisburg,WV..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia