Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2016, 01:21 AM

889 posts, read 1,045,294 times

Advertisements

I did find one with TX and WV both, lol.....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2016, 01:25 AM

Old 07-17-2016, 11:55 PM

469 posts, read 572,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt .45 View Post
this is NOT hot lol....Nebraska is college football crazy, is it Southern? same for Ohio, Michigan, Iowa, etc...church on Sundays, isnt most of the country that way unfortunately?, BBQ's are common in the Midwest to....accents? what accents? I only occasionally hear a Southern drawl around here...my wife doesnt have an accent and uses words like "pop" and "you guys", she was born and raised here.....I dont know what part of the South you're from, Northern Georgia I take it? and if thats the case, you should clearly know the difference.....I was born and raised in TX and lived in MS as well, so I to know Southern, and Northern WV, namely Morgantown, is just simply not Southern.....
In a nutshell....many parts of the Midwest that you listed do share similarities with the South. The football culture, BBQing, church on Sunday's, etc.

WV (including Morgantown) has all of this. There is also a very large hunting/fishing/gun culture here. Country music is huge here, especially among the natives. I am from North Georgia, you are correct, and the people here are down home, they're Appalachian folk for the most part. Morgantown differs a little, I digress, it's a college town. The natives, as in, the people who've lived here their whole lives, aren't all that different from people you'll meet in North Georgia, East TN, W NC, etc. though.

As far as the accent goes, there is certainly a twang here, not exactly like you'll find in lower Alabama or Georgia, but it's Appalachian. My better half for example, lived most of her life in metro Miami and she often remarks on how folks here sound a bit country. I myself have been mistaken for a local on more than one occasion.

Old 07-18-2016, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallydude02 View Post
You actually see quite a few Confederate flags in southwestern Pennsylvania and even in parts of Upstate New York. I think I saw more in those areas than in the Deep South. I remember at one time there was a kiosk in the Uniontown (Pa.) Mall that sold Confederate flags and license plates.
I maintain, as I've said here before, I've seen as many confederate flags on cars/homes here in WV as I did anywhere in the lower South, if not more.

I see them in Maryland often, even as you've said, lower PA, although rare.

Old 07-18-2016, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvtraveler View Post
In a nutshell....many parts of the Midwest that you listed do share similarities with the South. The football culture, BBQing, church on Sunday's, etc.

WV (including Morgantown) has all of this. There is also a very large hunting/fishing/gun culture here. Country music is huge here, especially among the natives. I am from North Georgia, you are correct, and the people here are down home, they're Appalachian folk for the most part. Morgantown differs a little, I digress, it's a college town. The natives, as in, the people who've lived here their whole lives, aren't all that different from people you'll meet in North Georgia, East TN, W NC, etc. though.

As far as the accent goes, there is certainly a twang here, not exactly like you'll find in lower Alabama or Georgia, but it's Appalachian. My better half for example, lived most of her life in metro Miami and she often remarks on how folks here sound a bit country. I myself have been mistaken for a local on more than one occasion.

I very rarely hear a Southern twang, and I work with the general public....my wife was born and raised here, never lived anywhere else, and has no accent at all.....her parents grew up here as well, all her family, sons from previous marriage, not even a hint of a twang....

as for the Midwest, you proved my point exactly.....theres no difference between Nebraska and West Virginia when it comes to college football, church, bbq, country music, hunting/fishing and all that stuff, or Texas or Alabama for that matter...but absolutely 0% of people would ever consider Nebraska "Southern".......the only thing that can truly separate what states are apart of the "South" are geography, language/accents (use of certain words), and having actually had been apart of and fought for the CSA....WV is only a state because it broke apart from Seceding VA to remain a Union State, I dont care about the circumstances of how that came about, it happened either way....Geography, accents and fighting for the CSA, Southern WV makes an argument on all 3.....but not Morgantown/NC WV.....

being one of the 13 Stars on the CSA flags is what ultimately matters....if there had been no Civil War, there wouldnt be a "The South" or "Dixie" in this day and age, not to this degree anyway, to where we have to have (you know what) measuring contests over our collective "southerness".....

Old 07-18-2016, 12:38 AM

Quote:
well, everybody in Morgantown seems to call it "pop"......its all Coke dangit! lol
Not everyone in Morgantown calls it a pop, and certainly not everyone in the South calls it a Coke. In Georgia, we called it soda or, in some cases coke, as you said. My dad (who was born and bred in Tennessee) called it soda pop.

Old 07-18-2016, 12:45 AM

1,342 posts, read 3,232,306 times
Quote:
I very rarely hear a Southern twang, and I work with the general public....my wife was born and raised here, never lived anywhere else, and has no accent at all.....her parents grew up here as well, all her family, sons from previous marriage, not even a hint of a twang....

as for the Midwest, you proved my point exactly.....theres no difference between Nebraska and West Virginia when it comes to college football, church, bbq, country music, hunting/fishing and all that stuff, or Texas or Alabama for that matter...but absolutely 0% of people would ever consider Nebraska "Southern".......the only thing that can truly separate what states are apart of the "South" are geography, language/accents (use of certain words), and having actually had been apart of and fought for the CSA....WV is only a state because it broke apart from Seceding VA to remain a Union State, I dont care about the circumstances of how that came about, it happened either way....Geography, accents and fighting for the CSA, Southern WV makes an argument on all 3.....but not Morgantown/NC WV.....

being one of the 13 Stars on the CSA flags is what ultimately matters....if there had been no Civil War, there wouldnt be a "The South" or "Dixie" in this day and age, not to this degree anyway, to where we have to have (you know what) measuring contests over our collective "southerness".....
So you would put Kentucky in the south only because a rump government in exile allied with the Confederacy? And Missouri also? Both Missouri and Kentucky only gave about one-third of their men to the Confederacy, West Virginia gave half. (Snell, "WV and the Civil War", pg. 28). As for those 538 polls, that is not how knowledge is gained. Would you want your doctor to ask a crowd of people what they think his diagnosis should be? Very few people who study the south and its nature define it by the old Confederacy. In Texas they are shifting monuments around and renaming parks in the deep south, it is becoming more and more outdated.

PS. Of the three Texans on City Data who have argued this point over the past several years, two don't think WV is southern, one does, and the two Georgians I've encountered here both think WV is southern.

Old 07-18-2016, 12:47 AM

Quote:
I do, daily. Perhaps my ears are failing me? It's possible.

Quote:
...the only thing that can truly separate what states are apart of the "South" are geography, language/accents (use of certain words), and having actually had been apart of and fought for the CSA....
In this regard, your state is WAY out west and about half of your state speaks about as much Spanish as they do English.

Quote:
Bobilee has explained this in detail here, did you not read about it? West Virginia's break was by no means unanimous.

Old 07-18-2016, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvtraveler View Post
Not everyone in Morgantown calls it a pop, and certainly not everyone in the South calls it a Coke. In Georgia, we called it soda or, in some cases coke, as you said. My dad (who was born and bred in Tennessee) called it soda pop.

WV I hear probably 80% "pop", 15% "soda" and 5% "coke"....

in TX it was probably 80% "Coke" 10% "pop" 10% "Soda" (without so many Northern transplants itd probably be more like 95% "Coke")

Mississippi 100% "Coke" for sure, lol

Nebraska probably 95% "pop" 5% "soda"

Ive never heard "soda pop" unless somebody is tryin to be funny and say "Sody Pop" .....

Old 07-18-2016, 01:00 AM

Quote:
WV I hear probably 80% "pop", 15% "soda" and 5% "coke"....

in TX it was probably 80% "Coke" 10% "pop" 10% "Soda" (without so many Northern transplants itd probably be more like 95% "Coke")

Mississippi 100% "Coke" for sure, lol

Nebraska probably 95% "pop" 5% "soda"

Ive never heard "soda pop" unless somebody is tryin to be funny and say "Sody Pop" .....
Pop is Midwestern. No argument here. Never heard it called that in itself anywhere in the South.

WV as a whole isn't 80% pop though. I'd be hard pressed to believe that.

Maybe Mississippi is different, but in Georgia/Tennessee it certainly isn't 100% Coke, no way.

"Soda-pop" was by no means uncommon in Georgia, Tennessee, Missouri (boot heel) where my family originates, at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia