Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2017, 06:24 PM

20 posts, read 32,818 times

Advertisements

Hello, I'm looking into coming back to West Virginia. I've been away for 15 years and I really would like to come home. Before I make the decision to commit, I want to find some more information and develop a plan.

I'm looking for a house for me and my pitbull. Anyone happen to know what the best source is to find a rental / place to buy? I'm interested in places rich in defense industry, government, or science. Bridgeport and Clarksburg stand out at the moment. Other than that I'm rather clueless, I admit. My budget is not ideal, but is stable for the time being until I secure a solid career.

Which brings me to another point: Jobs. I regularly browse Linkedin, Indeed, Ziprecruiter, usajobs, and a few others. I would like to know what job boards, or other means, are favored by employers in the state so I can concentrate my efforts. Any info on relocation options would be nice, too. I'm not going to scramble until I have enough money for the trip, but I would like to at least try to secure a job before that day. This will weigh heavily on my decision to make the journey.

Thanks much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2017, 09:51 PM

778 posts, read 795,814 times
While some may disagree, Clarksburg/Bridgeport might not be the best area to move too just now. I think it is a great area and the city of Clarksburg has a wonderful sized town and of course Bridgeport gets all of the shopping centers. Nice mix if you ask me but...

Statistics show it has a huge crime problem in the area and it is the type of crime you can't live with, personal assault type crime not robbery. Unemployment is higher there than the adjacent counties and over all it is not a Go To place right now.

If you want to be in the northern part of the state, everyone seems to rave over Morgantown. It is nice and all but it is not for me, to many if the "young and stupid" types there for my taste but that is what you get in a college town. I would suggest Wheeling or Parkersburg.

Old 04-23-2017, 10:07 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,042,956 times
You can find facts about all the cities in West Virginia right here on this site. You'll find that Morgantown stacks up very well with anyplace else in our state, and while there are a lot of young folks here (it is a college town), there are many people of all ages here including (surprisingly) a growing retirement community. The economy is healthy and very diverse, something that is rare in our state, and although all industries have their ebbs and floes, that diversity gives it one of the lowest unemployment rates in our state.

Our primary industries are healthcare, education, federal government, pharmaceuticals, and research. There are also coal and limestone mines in the area, and many small businesses of various types. Anyplace in North Central West Virginia is a good choice, as is Wheeling, but only Martinsburg can match Morgantown at this time for growth and prosperity, but Martinsburg's character is very different than anywhere else in our state. It is growing primarily because of population spillover from DC/Baltimore.

Renting with a pit bull could be a problem, but you can probably find a place if you pay somewhat of a premium for having it. There are issues anywhere, and our relative prosperity also means there is significant demand to live here, pushing rental prices somewhat higher than many other places. In terms of outdoor amenities, our area is outstanding with the Allegheny Range literally out the back door.

Old 04-25-2017, 06:33 PM

Valuable insights, thank you for that. I am quite aware of the issues in Clarksburg and I have reason to believe it's probably due to drugs as well as the unemployment issue. However, I was always led to believe that Bridgeport was one of the nicest areas in that part of the state; Something happen to throw that intel off? I would definitely consider alternatives. I'm interested in the area because of a few defense contractors, there.

Morgantown and Wheeling really do stand out for me. I could deal with the college town vibe, I think. I live 45 minutes away from Boise, ID and used to work at the Boise VA Medical Center so really it doesn't bother me. Financial stability makes me quite agreeable, I suppose. However, if I really could live anywhere in the state without delay I'd really like Wheeling, followed closely by Morgantown. Interestingly enough, I've never been to any of these places I just really want to go home and live in the mountains again. This Idaho thing has gotten old and I'm sick of fearing for my safety.

Old 04-25-2017, 07:49 PM

456 posts, read 602,793 times
Bridgeport is consistently rated one of the best cities in West Virginia. White Oaks development along 79 is by the new United Hospital Center about 8 office buildings with good paying jobs and next to the FBI center. there is a growing retail in the area with a Menard's coming and 5-6 restaurants opening in the next 6 months. Charles Pointe a cross the interstate has 3-5 offices, restaurants, hotels and a conference center. there are apartments, homes and a new assisted living facility being started. Bombardier aerospace is adding 300 good paying jobs in Bridgeport. you have a small mall and you are only 40 minutes to Morgantown and Pittsburgh is between a hour and 20 minutes and a hour and 40 minutes depending on where you are going. Go a hour to hour and a half south or southeast and you have all the mountains have to offer with recreation. I would argue that besides Morgantown and Martinsburg it is the most progressive area in the state. Bridgerport isn't cheap and Clarksburg is run down but does have some nice areas that aren't expensive. Clarksburg actually has a few nice bars and places to eat downtown. Clarksburg isn't perfect but the Bridgeport is definitely one of the nicest towns in the state. it ranks up there with Elkins, Lewisburg and Sherperdstown. those three towns are great but not much opportunity in any of them now. Morgantown is the best choice for opportunities in larger cities but I find most towns in West Virginia charming and appealing in their own way. the type jobs you are talking about and I would choice Morgantown or Bridgeport

Old 04-26-2017, 01:30 AM

778 posts, read 795,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D T WV MOUNTAINS View Post
Bridgeport is consistently rated one of the best cities in West Virginia. White Oaks development along 79 is by the new United Hospital Center about 8 office buildings with good paying jobs and next to the FBI center. there is a growing retail in the area with a Menard's coming and 5-6 restaurants opening in the next 6 months. Charles Pointe a cross the interstate has 3-5 offices, restaurants, hotels and a conference center. there are apartments, homes and a new assisted living facility being started. Bombardier aerospace is adding 300 good paying jobs in Bridgeport. you have a small mall and you are only 40 minutes to Morgantown and Pittsburgh is between a hour and 20 minutes and a hour and 40 minutes depending on where you are going. Go a hour to hour and a half south or southeast and you have all the mountains have to offer with recreation. I would argue that besides Morgantown and Martinsburg it is the most progressive area in the state. Bridgerport isn't cheap and Clarksburg is run down but does have some nice areas that aren't expensive. Clarksburg actually has a few nice bars and places to eat downtown. Clarksburg isn't perfect but the Bridgeport is definitely one of the nicest towns in the state. it ranks up there with Elkins, Lewisburg and Sherperdstown. those three towns are great but not much opportunity in any of them now. Morgantown is the best choice for opportunities in larger cities but I find most towns in West Virginia charming and appealing in their own way. the type jobs you are talking about and I would choice Morgantown or Bridgeport

Morgantown is good if you have northern blood. You targeted northern West Virginia so I assume that is what you wanted. West Virginia is very much two states, three if you count the odd people living in the far eastern panhandle. Northern West Virginia feels like Pittsburgh, Martinsburg as a more Metro DC feel to it and Charleston and southern West Virginia feel more like the Carolinas.

Old 04-26-2017, 08:15 AM

2,021 posts, read 4,615,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude6 View Post
Valuable insights, thank you for that. I am quite aware of the issues in Clarksburg and I have reason to believe it's probably due to drugs as well as the unemployment issue. However, I was always led to believe that Bridgeport was one of the nicest areas in that part of the state; Something happen to throw that intel off? I would definitely consider alternatives. I'm interested in the area because of a few defense contractors, there.

Morgantown and Wheeling really do stand out for me. I could deal with the college town vibe, I think. I live 45 minutes away from Boise, ID and used to work at the Boise VA Medical Center so really it doesn't bother me. Financial stability makes me quite agreeable, I suppose. However, if I really could live anywhere in the state without delay I'd really like Wheeling, followed closely by Morgantown. Interestingly enough, I've never been to any of these places I just really want to go home and live in the mountains again. This Idaho thing has gotten old and I'm sick of fearing for my safety.
Can you be more specific about the particular job(s) you are looking into-- 'defense industry, government, or science' are all rather broad areas. Any reason you are so set on Wheeling? The economy there isn't known for being great but depending on your particular job skill set you might be able to find one- real estate however will be very cheap there!

Based on the brief description of the job fields you are looking in, I would recommend the Morgantown- Fairmont- Clarksburg corridor. There should be a pretty healthy mix of jobs there with WVU, I-79 tech park and the FBI Center. Martinsburg/ parts of the Eastern Panhandle would put you closer to the Northern Virginia and Maryland suburbs of DC where most major defense contractors are headquartered (Northrop Grumman, General Dynamics, Lockheed Martin, Leidos, Boeing Defense, etc) and employee huge numbers of people. The downsides of Martinsburg would be slightly higher living costs and you are looking at a 50 plus mile commute into an area consistently ranked as one of the most congested in America.

Last edited by NOVAmtneer82; 04-26-2017 at 08:49 AM..

Old 04-26-2017, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAmtneer82 View Post
Can you be more specific about the particular job(s) you are looking into-- 'defense industry, government, or science' are all rather broad areas. Any reason you are so set on Wheeling? The economy there isn't known for being great but depending on your particular job skill set you might be able to find one- real estate however will be very cheap there!

Based on the brief description of the job fields you are looking in, I would recommend the Morgantown- Fairmont- Clarksburg corridor. There should be a pretty healthy mix of jobs there with WVU, I-79 tech park and the FBI Center. Martinsburg/ parts of the Eastern Panhandle would put you closer to the Northern Virginia and Maryland suburbs of DC where most major defense contractors are headquartered (Northrop Grumman, General Dynamics, Lockheed Martin, Leidos, Boeing Defense, etc) and employee huge numbers of people. The downsides of Martinsburg would be slightly higher living costs and you are looking at a 50 plus mile commute into an area consistently ranked as one of the most congested in America.
Eventually I want to make enough money to find a place up there. I really don't know why. Long story. But as far as jobs go I guess I'm just wondering if there's a registry or resource that companies or agencies in the area favor so that I can target it and find work. Really, I'd be happy just getting there and working for now. I have skills in automotive repair, acquisitions, program administration, and a boatload more. Currently I'm a court clerk.

Old 04-26-2017, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caden Grace View Post
Morgantown is good if you have northern blood. You targeted northern West Virginia so I assume that is what you wanted. West Virginia is very much two states, three if you count the odd people living in the far eastern panhandle. Northern West Virginia feels like Pittsburgh, Martinsburg as a more Metro DC feel to it and Charleston and southern West Virginia feel more like the Carolinas.
Yeah, I lived in Summers County for a short while and while I did enjoy the hunting and fishing for what it was, I feel compelled to seek out better career opportunities. Though if I could lay down mad stacks, I'd go back to Hinton.

Ok, stop laughing...

Old 04-26-2017, 07:06 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,614,318 times
a retiree wants peace, quiet, safety, stores, docs, etc. so count me in. i'm semi-retire so kinda in flux but s wv. is warmer, less folks, not college town as morg. & such. greenbrier co. is best as its va. when va. still owned it prior to wv. statehood. gorgeous country n land.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia