U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2017, 12:33 PM

1,848 posts, read 1,169,408 times

Advertisements

I live in SW PA, and have thought about buying/building a small cabin in a nice recreation area that I could use once in awhile, that would have the possibility of renting out. Within two hours would be better, but its not too far away if it was worth it.

I've driven through there a bunch- absolutely beautiful area- and I know the outdoor activities are endless. But I honestly haven't spent time there.

Any opinions on the area for this?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2017, 06:31 PM

821 posts, read 1,193,468 times
Canaan Valley area would be a great place for renting.

Lewis County close to Stonewall Jackson Resort would also be a possibility.

Old 04-29-2017, 07:09 AM

4,990 posts, read 6,549,011 times
Here is a thread thanking about things that area offers. Hiking New River Gorge

Personally I think the New River Gorge region is an incredible area for just about anything outdoors. It is in a central location to even more parts of the state with even more stuff to do. It is close enough to larger towns to get the amenities most people require, while be rural enough to accommodate the feeling of off the grid. Fayetteville is an amazing small town in the heart of the region which has great local restaurants. You can be in Beckley in 25-30 mins and in Charleston in roughly an hour. Buying/building a cabin in this part of the state has become very trendy in recent years. Several log cabin type developments have sprung up.

Like stated above, Canaan Valley is another place worth checking into, but honestly it's more of a winter destination with two ski resorts. Summer in Canaan Is very very mild, and you can wear hoodies ever morning because it's only 50 degrees. Canaan Valley is located in arguably the most gorgeous part of the state, but I think the New River offers more activities.

Another area mentioned was Stonewall Jackson Lake. My parents actually built their retirement home (which is a log home) there on the lake. They love it, as the location is near the highway and only an half way between their house and Morgantown for football. I'd admit that of the three mentioned, it's the least in terms of things to do, restaurants, and even natural beauty.

Old 04-29-2017, 11:27 AM

243 posts, read 211,342 times
I worked at Canaan Valley resort in high school and like mentioned it is definitely the coolest area of the state temperature wise but summers are great. Blackwater Falls state park is close, great hiking is everywhere dolly sods and cooper rock are short drives. you are close to Davis-Thomas and Elkins . you have smoke hole and Seneca Caverns. yes there are ski resorts in the area but plenty of summer activities. pools and swimming holes,golf, hiking, train rides, cavern exploration,hunting,fishing. you are close to spruce knob the highest point in the state which offers hiking a small lake for fishing and rustic camping. its is chilly hear at night even in the summer. at stonewall you have the lake, golf, and you aren't that far from from Fayetteville about a hour and a half either area is great. Fayetteville has many cool places to eat and water land water park which is on a small lake and great hiking as well. it is part of ace adventures which offers white water rafting and zip lines. Summersville is close to everything also and is near holly river area and cranberry glades areas with great hiking and fishing. Summersville Lake and Stonewall are my favorite lakes in the state. look up each area and see which has more to offer in what you want but all these are within a couple hours of each other and easy to explore. the big bear lake in Preston County is closer to you and would also be close to Deep Creek Lake in Maryland. Deep Creek is a great area also but expensive. I would concentrate on the counties of Lewis,Fayette,Webster, Randolph, Pendleton, Nicholas,Tucker, Preston. land near resorts of course will be more expensive but outlying areas will still be close to everything. Pocahontas County is great but is getting on the farther edge of your search and Webster may be also. they are both great choices though for getting away.

Old 04-30-2017, 12:07 PM

590 posts, read 694,155 times
Canaan Valley isn't very close to the NRG.

There are a lot of cabins up and down the New River. Check out areas in Summers County north of Hinton, the Thurmond area in Fayette County, the Prince area in Raleigh and Fayette Counties, and the Fayetteville area.

Old 05-02-2017, 03:37 PM

Thanks! Good suggestions all. I am definitely more into the summer/fall stuff than the skiing, but will give it all a look. I figured NRG might be a big draw and have the possibility as a rental unit year round. I do think like one poster said that it's becoming trendy, but it may be early enough where it isn't crazy costly yet.

Old 05-02-2017, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D T WV MOUNTAINS View Post
I worked at Canaan Valley resort in high school and like mentioned it is definitely the coolest area of the state temperature wise but summers are great. Blackwater Falls state park is close, great hiking is everywhere dolly sods and cooper rock are short drives. you are close to Davis-Thomas and Elkins . you have smoke hole and Seneca Caverns. yes there are ski resorts in the area but plenty of summer activities. pools and swimming holes,golf, hiking, train rides, cavern exploration,hunting,fishing. you are close to spruce knob the highest point in the state which offers hiking a small lake for fishing and rustic camping. its is chilly hear at night even in the summer. at stonewall you have the lake, golf, and you aren't that far from from Fayetteville about a hour and a half either area is great. Fayetteville has many cool places to eat and water land water park which is on a small lake and great hiking as well. it is part of ace adventures which offers white water rafting and zip lines. Summersville is close to everything also and is near holly river area and cranberry glades areas with great hiking and fishing. Summersville Lake and Stonewall are my favorite lakes in the state. look up each area and see which has more to offer in what you want but all these are within a couple hours of each other and easy to explore. the big bear lake in Preston County is closer to you and would also be close to Deep Creek Lake in Maryland. Deep Creek is a great area also but expensive. I would concentrate on the counties of Lewis,Fayette,Webster, Randolph, Pendleton, Nicholas,Tucker, Preston. land near resorts of course will be more expensive but outlying areas will still be close to everything. Pocahontas County is great but is getting on the farther edge of your search and Webster may be also. they are both great choices though for getting away.
I do like Deep Creek, but you are right- it is more expensive. Although, I have seen some smaller places or condos that are affordable. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or