U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 12:00 PM

687 posts, read 418,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
Virginia just attracted Amazon while West Virginia is struggling just to survive. Virginia has been wildly successful and West Virginia is a failed state. WV has beautiful scenery, but the experiment of West Virginia statehood has been an abject failure. Time to admit reality.

I would not call the two principle reason for West Virginia being a state to be either an experiment or a failure.

Western Virginians took exception to taxation without equal representation when it was part of Virginia. That is the same principle that United States is founded upon.

Western Virginians, like all of the north had a different idea about owning slaves than did their eastern Virginia counterparts. Virginians thought it was not perfectly acceptable but financially, socially and religious required to own black people. All of the peoples of the south felt this way.

Emancipation through the years that followed until the Civil Rights Act lends testament to this movement not being an 'experiment'. The United States thrives as the beacon of freedom and leader and democracy, hardly a failed experiment.

It is not surprising someone from Virginia would hold such views; it seems for some, no ideas have changed since before the American Civil War.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 06:21 AM

10,800 posts, read 10,730,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caden Grace View Post
I would not call the two principle reason for West Virginia being a state to be either an experiment or a failure.

Western Virginians took exception to taxation without equal representation when it was part of Virginia. That is the same principle that United States is founded upon.

Western Virginians, like all of the north had a different idea about owning slaves than did their eastern Virginia counterparts. Virginians thought it was not perfectly acceptable but financially, socially and religious required to own black people. All of the peoples of the south felt this way.

Emancipation through the years that followed until the Civil Rights Act lends testament to this movement not being an 'experiment'. The United States thrives as the beacon of freedom and leader and democracy, hardly a failed experiment.

It is not surprising someone from Virginia would hold such views; it seems for some, no ideas have changed since before the American Civil War.
In an objective look at the formation of the state of West Virginia, slavery was not the driving issue. You can find a lot of eye opening information on Bobilee's "Other History" page. Look at the Contact tab on his profile page: http://www.city-data.com/forum/membe...ee-162038.html

Slavery existed in West Virginia. It existed mostly in the counties more southern and western from an area from Parkersburg to Lewisburg and everywhere south and west of a line between those two locations.

Businessmen in the northern part of the state, primarily in Wheeling, Clarksburg, and Morgantown, thought their business interests were better served by removing themselves from Virginia and banking their fortunes on the northern states. The federal government was happy to go along with the plan because the railroad that they needed went through the eastern panhandle on the way to the Ohio River at Wheeling.

Look at this map: https://sites.google.com/site/wvothe...-secession-map All of the counties shown in green voted to approve the secession proposal while WV was still part of Virginia.

Old Today, 07:26 PM

1,799 posts, read 674,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
Virginia just attracted Amazon while West Virginia is struggling just to survive. Virginia has been wildly successful and West Virginia is a failed state. WV has beautiful scenery, but the experiment of West Virginia statehood has been an abject failure. Time to admit reality.
West Virginia already has a major Amazon facility. Amazon is a major employer in Huntington.
In the main, however, there is much truth to what you say.

Last edited by robertbrianbush; Today at 07:41 PM..

Old Today, 11:12 PM

90 posts, read 39,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertbrianbush View Post
West Virginia already has a major Amazon facility. Amazon is a major employer in Huntington.
In the main, however, there is much truth to what you say.

Would that be a call center? I don't think WV will get to be a big shipping hub again as anything shipping in and out is slightly more expensive as it has to go over limited mountain highways, the river or by air. I used to make crafts that went all over the world and the post office always added an extra day for WV.

Expanding the number of call centers works when there is high unemployment, lots of underemployed semi educated people (By that they mean 1 to 2 years of college but not necessarily degree), and a flat accent understood all over the country, but they do favor the west due to time zones and evening pay.

But the right company call center could work well for WV, I worked a multi catalog call center in a yuppy Pac West town and when we got a contract for the overnight shift on a army surplus catalog based in Texas I was the only one who could do it, not really because of the little I knew about guns, I just read the catalog. The people that called in would prefer a good ol boy with colorful rural vocabulary and i had no problem selling up to 20k rounds of .223 ammunition a day, ChiCom AK47 parts and palettes of MRE. And my reward for excellence was I got to be one of the first in the US to ever try Picante Beef Top Ramen

Last edited by Wyvern-Quill; Today at 11:32 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or