Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2017, 09:58 PM

1,384 posts, read 2,510,941 times

Advertisements

I might be relocating for work to the Beckley area from the eastern panhandle within the next month. I recently visited for the interview and was overall impressed. I LOVE outdoor recreation so I'm excited for all of the nearby trails, hiking, national parks, rivers, lakes, etc. I also liked the convenience and variety of stores, restaurants, services, etc. in Beckley.

I'm looking for any and all information good or bad from those who are familiar with the area. I want to rent an apartment at first, any areas I should look into particularly or avoid particularly? How rough are the winter months? How is the crime rate? I'm a single male in my twenties so I'm not concerned with schools or family activities at this point. As mentioned, it's a sudden move for work and I'm just hoping to get some general insight on the area from those who are familiar.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2017, 08:57 PM

5 posts, read 8,896 times
Hi,

Did you ever decide to move out to Beckley?

Old 08-10-2017, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zach216 View Post
Hi,

Did you ever decide to move out to Beckley?
Hey Zach,

I think I responded to you on the other thread we well. Yes, I've been here for a month and so far I love the area. It's a fairly vibrant community and will become even more so with WVU Tech opening its doors downtown next week.

I'm a huge hiking/biking/outdoors guy, so being so close to numerous state/national parks and trails is a huge plus. The locals are very friendly as well.

Old 08-10-2017, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmccul View Post
Hey Zach,

I think I responded to you on the other thread we well. Yes, I've been here for a month and so far I love the area. It's a fairly vibrant community and will become even more so with WVU Tech opening its doors downtown next week.

I'm a huge hiking/biking/outdoors guy, so being so close to numerous state/national parks and trails is a huge plus. The locals are very friendly as well.

Thanks! Yeah, I will be moving in the end of this month. What is it like for dating or making friends? I've moved to new places before knowing anybody just didn't know if Beckley had a decent amount of people.

I also enjoy the outdoors and my job actually involves the public lands so I'm excited about that as well.

Old 08-11-2017, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zach216 View Post
Thanks! Yeah, I will be moving in the end of this month. What is it like for dating or making friends? I've moved to new places before knowing anybody just didn't know if Beckley had a decent amount of people.

I also enjoy the outdoors and my job actually involves the public lands so I'm excited about that as well.
Beckley itself has a population of about 17,000...Raleigh County is right above 77,000. So there's plenty of people.

I'm not sure how old you are, but I'm a mid 20's male and frequently find people my age while out and about. Also, WVU Tech is opening its new campus downtown next week. A couple thousand college-aged and nontraditional students from all over the country are moving in as we speak. Again, don't know how old you are so that statement may or may not have any influence on you (LOL).

Old 08-12-2017, 05:24 AM

583 posts, read 593,911 times
I live in Charleston but we've been going to Beckley and Fayetteville 3 or 4 times a month. I like the vibe and I like the energy. Now with the Tech coming in I think there's potential for growth. Beckley feels like VA and it is not a far drive to NC or VA from there. I'm working on an exit strategy from Charleston and Beckley is definitely a place we could see ourselves living in. Small town but with stuff to do. Natural attractions. Low cost of living. Some nice restaurants. Close to a major university too with Blacksburg not that far away. Decent shopping. I like what I see there and it will only get better with the school coming in. Sometimes I think Morgantown, Martinsburg and now maybe Beckley are the future of the state. One thing that Beckley needs to do because it is so early is plan for growth so that if/when it happens it can be done right.

Old 08-13-2017, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmccul View Post
Beckley itself has a population of about 17,000...Raleigh County is right above 77,000. So there's plenty of people.

I'm not sure how old you are, but I'm a mid 20's male and frequently find people my age while out and about. Also, WVU Tech is opening its new campus downtown next week. A couple thousand college-aged and nontraditional students from all over the country are moving in as we speak. Again, don't know how old you are so that statement may or may not have any influence on you (LOL).

I'm actually 23 and a recent college grad so I hope my apartment in downtown will have people my age. I figured living around college kids is better than living with a 40 year old, haha.
I planning to hike a good bit as well! I'd love to meet people to hike and do outdoor stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia