Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 10:01 AM

5 posts, read 15,934 times

Advertisements

Are there any low population towns in North Central WV where I might find a secluded 10 or so acres of land? Or is this area too populated for that sort of thing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2008, 01:21 PM

4,952 posts, read 8,945,217 times
For what you are looking for, I agree with the others who have recommended the Beckley and Lewisburg area. Very nice areas with quick access to most of the nice parks. Lot's of small towns that would probably fit what you are looking for. As for the North Central part of the state seeing 200 billion in investment, do you have a link to back that up DK? There's a lot of investment going on in that part of the state for sure but there's also a lot of investment going on in other parts of the state as well. To say the most investment is going on there with no proof or solid numbers, that's misleading.

Old 03-15-2008, 02:14 PM

2,429 posts, read 7,233,583 times
Tony,

We're not talking New Jersey here . In ten minutes from the limits of any city, you can be beyond the suburbs. In 20 minutes you're beyond what will be developed in the next 30 years. In 30 minutes, you're either in a National Forest or State Park. But if you want a list of towns...

Durbin, Greenbank, Edray, Marlinton, Frost, Cass, Hillsboro, Spice, Droop, Denmar, Beverly, Buckhannon, Webster Springs, Elkins, Burton, Hundred, Mobley, Smithfield, Galmish, Hastings, Reader, Porters Falls, Jacksonburg, Middlebourne, Sistersville, Littleton, Maud, Lobelia, Shinnston, Lumberport, Wallace, Smithfield, Richwood, Phillipi. Etc.

Old 03-15-2008, 10:08 PM

4,714 posts, read 13,309,021 times
Bailey: The federal investment in the region is upwards of above 20 billion...If you read the blog it said the rollover investment was 200 billion and it is...call Sen. Byrd for verification if you need it badly...or fly over the area if you get a chance...we are becoming welded to Pittsburgh economically and I love it...It's the greatest area of the USA..

What say Snorpus...feel any of that money coming your way? and you failed to mention one of my favorites...Reader...no...it's there...I'd like to own the old train station in Reader...would make a great restored country store...

Old 03-15-2008, 10:52 PM

4,952 posts, read 8,945,217 times
Just wondering if you had any actual links to back up your info. That's not a bad thing is it? I think the people on this forum do a pretty good job of keeping one another in check and honest. Otherwise, anyone could post anything they wanted regardless of its veracity. Sometimes our pride in our areas can get the best of us and we can pick up on things that aren't necessarily true. I live in the camp of "assume nothing" and I just like to see where data comes from. I even tend to check out sources on newspaper articles that do such things. I guess that's why I try to put links whenever I put up info like that. That way people know where it's coming from.

Old 03-16-2008, 05:51 AM

DK,

I knew Reader well, went to jr high there. Took a Reader girl to the prom. Don't know if the old train station is there any more, I'll have to ask my classmates who still live there. They did a nice job restoring the train station in Marlinton.

My great-granddaddy had a farm out Eight Mile Ridge from Reader. In fact, it was so far out the ridge it was in Tyler County, I think. He was a doctor, back in the late 1800s he put in one of those new-fangled telephone things so his patients wouldn't have to ride to his farm to tell him Mabel was in labor and could he come quick?

Old 03-16-2008, 04:33 PM

Snorpus this is getting scary...We had family on eight mile...Peter Kennedy...the majority of the family being killed in a typhoid epidemic brought about by lining a new well with stone taken from the graveyard...sad story...
and the cousins living down the road descendants, of James Mayfield and Temperance Straight...2nd generation from them and holders of the land deed...James Mayfield and Permelia Strait...AND at the bottom of the holler at Reader...Jasper Strait and his wife, Mary Kennedy...all step-brothers and sisters.

Does Dr. Samuel Mayfield ring a bell?...got his medical training during the Civil War as a surgeon and returned to Tyler/Wetzel to practice and then help the county in it government...

Old 03-16-2008, 07:51 PM

DK,

Samuel Mayfield doesn't ring a bell, but one of my classmates was Sharon Mayfield, could be a descendant. Surnames I recall from the Reader/8-Mile area include Workman, Tennant, Thorne, Weekley. I imagine most of those families moved to the Shortline in the oil & gas boom era of the early 1900s.

My great-grandfather was a Parks; I remember having some 2nd/3rd cousins named Parks around Fairmont. Most of them were physicians; Segal (or Siegal?) Parks is the only one I remember.

We moved away from the Shortline in 1967, my parents retiring to Florida and me coming to Pittsburgh for college. So I really have to tug and pull at old gray matter to recall some of these details.

Old 03-21-2008, 02:47 PM

Still a few Parks in the Farimont area...JD...college prof at FSU and Edgar...some others were contractors of good repute...sorry about the 8-mile mis-connection...thought we might be cousins...32nd cousins 85 times removed...???

Old 04-29-2008, 11:24 AM

30 posts, read 84,408 times
Question Moving to WV Advice on best place for me...

I don't have to worry about the schools since I won't have young children with me. I am married and not into much nightlife. I love gardening and feeding birds, ornithology, trees...
I will work in Charleston. I'd like to only be about 20 minutes from my job yet live in a rural area. Is that possible? I could go as far as 35-45 minutes out, i guess but won't love that since the gas prices are horrible.
I would like to find a home that could be around 155,000 or less. Is that Possible? I'd also like to feel safe. Can i get some helpful hints? I'd appreciate it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia