U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 09:37 PM

8,015 posts, read 15,590,051 times
You only named 1 co in Martinsburg...Quad & they just laid off too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2008, 07:13 AM

4,102 posts, read 6,793,016 times
Please note I said the following, Katie;
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
You have to think in terms of regional outlook.
Quad hired over around 1,000 people within the past 5-7 years when they took on National Geographic and L.L. Bean etc.. How many are they laying off right now? The whole plant? I havn't heard of them doing any mass layoffs.

HMS Technologies is one to watch too. HQ is in Martinsburg and they are hiring highly skilled and highly paid workers. PowerSonix is another one in Martinsburg with potential..

Then you have the massive growth in regional healthcare with Winchester, Martinsburg and Washington County..

And I'm not even mentioning Frederick MD..

The Eastern Panhandle is by and large a bedroom community with most people commuting to work within a regional area (not including D.C.). I can guarantee that job prospects are far greater in the EP than they are in Clarksburg, Charleston, or darn near any other place in WV for that matter. Dr. Hammond, Assoc. Prof. of Business and Economics for WVU, publishes a report on state and regional economic conditions. Generally he is pretty accurate, and the last report he did for the EP was in 2007. He missed the mark on the estimated price of oil and bet that the fed would leave the COF at 5.25% (which has been dropped thrice since) but as far as job gains and losses- he was failry spot on. Continued decreases in manufacturing, growth in service and government jobs, increases in entertainment, decreases in construction but overall stronger growth than that of the state and on par or better than the national average. The only other area of WV that is seeing similar growth or prosperity is Morgantown, but jobs in that area are fairly limited to a restricted boundary. The EP has opportunity all around it.

You can find his forcasts here: WVU College of Business and Economics

Old 03-20-2008, 07:44 PM

You can look at all the reports you want to. But I live here [have for 32 years] I worked here I have friends & relitives that work here I am telling you there are NO jobs here!! The place in Ranson was here for 10 yrs or more ...Friday they closed thier doors people have not had pay checks for 6 weeks! Most will loose thier homes cause there are no other jobs to go to. The Same in Hancock. Business open And most close within a year or two... Real life folks!!

Old 03-20-2008, 08:35 PM

I lived there for the last 15 years as a commercial banker and just relocated to Bridgeport/Clarksburg area 3 months ago, so I have seen the business cycles in the region.

The unemployment rate in Berkeley and Jefferson County beg to differ from your assessment. Regionally, the EP has a far better economic outlook than most other regions in WV, the midwest or even the NE regions.

Personally I wouldn't measure a regions success or failure based on one magazine order fulfillment center going belly-up. Nor would I base a regions success based on landing one fat manufacturing plant either. It's a measure of the sum of its parts.

Look at it this way- HMS Technologies is getting ready to bust loose, bringing HIGH paying jobs to the region. The Coast Guard and IRS centers are hiring like mad. Ranson is going to explode with retail jobs- bringing the same wage scale as ABC (maybe more). The racetrack is hiring like mad (a friend of mine just got on in security making GOOD money...)

Is it really all that bad? As a matter of fact- there are more opportunities in Ranson now than when I worked for F&M Bank Blakely on the circle 12 years ago. Remember- the big news back then was Jefferson Memorial laying off and how it would ruin the area... How far has Ranson come along since then? It's BOOMING compared to 12 years ago.

Old 03-21-2008, 01:06 PM

People working in Retail get paid min wage....So banker HOW can they afford to live & buy all these expensive homes?? They cant! The Race Track hires every 90 days & lays off just as fast....cause they dont want to pay benifits! & most people have been unemployed so long they DONT recieve benifits so they dont count!

Old 03-21-2008, 01:44 PM

ABC paid the same prevailng wage as retail so net/net what's the difference? Ballyhooing over the loss of jobs at ABC and not recognizing equal or greater gains elsewhere doesn't seem fair. To say there are no jobs at all is also not fair, especially when there is ample evidence to the contrary.

Homeland Security is moving into the county, the racetrack is booming, Summit Point is attracting governement and corporate contracts for their world class driving school, the IRS is hiring, the VA is hiring, the FBI or Border Patrol has a facility in Harpers Ferry.. These are all really, really good paying jobs with bennies- all in the county... Way better than jobs that were found at Dixie-Narco or ABC..

And I will have to respectfully disagree that people are routinely let go from the racetrack in order to avoid benefit expenses. I say this because:

A. I know people that have worked there for years with bennies and
B. The company would have their butts sued in court for unfair employment practices and
C. West Virginia is a 'work at will' state and I'd imagine the folks getting let go either couldn't hack the job to begin with or their background checks came back to haunt them.

Question- when the matter of bond levy's and county growth come up on the ballots, which side of the camp are you on? For the levy's and growth, or against?

Old 03-21-2008, 01:59 PM

West Virginia work at will....bull! I watch my friends & Relitivies work all day on thier farms the all night on jobs! What did you do sit in a nice office on your butt all day!!

Old 03-21-2008, 02:07 PM

An employer in this state can hire and fire at will with no recourse according to the law.

And as a matter of fact yes- I do have a desk. I also travel all around the northern half of the state trying to promote small business development and keep track of economic progress in regional areas.

When I lived in Berkeley County I also made hay on 65 acres of leased ground and raised a few beef cattle to help pay my bills, thank-you very much.

It just seems as if on one hand you're upset over the lack of economic opportunity but on the other not willing to recognize that it is there. Maybe i'm misunderstanding you.

Old 03-26-2008, 02:05 PM

2 posts, read 3,827 times
Default Martinsburg

The price of real estate in the Martinsburg area and the population have increased greatly. May I suggest that you go to REALTOR.com - Real Estate Listings & Homes For Sale to have a look at the areas prices. By the way, take Lordstown off your possible list; I think it is the next plant to close. Good luck.

Old 03-26-2008, 03:11 PM

2,776 posts, read 6,576,671 times
Since the 1980's Martinsburg has experienced growth in population, mostly through the decade of the 90's. Though there "are" jobs in Martinsburg, the wages do not, nor have not met with standard living expenses.
The average household income, less the early bird Dulles to DC workers average less than 30k gross per year. You average home cost in Berkeley is north of $225k.

Prior to the 1980's Martinsburg was a prosperous place to live, "Boom Town" as it was once known. From Corning to DuPont families could raise their children in a low crime, modest cost, town with a well paid job. It was a Mayberry lite, with DC down the road.

Since the 80's and most notable after Clinton's NAFTA, Martinsburg along with most "manufacturing" towns saw their wealth disappear. As the mills off Porter avenue to Royce Hosery we lost our textile, from the closing of DuPont, Corning, Dixie Narco etc., we lost our manufacturing base.

The 90's brought two things to Martinsburg and it was not jobs. With Gaston Caperton along with the help of Sen. Robert KKK Byrd, the Metro Rail was back to the round house. Route 9 saw expansion of a dual highway providing a Charles Town By-Pass. Did the jobs come, well yes some did like Quad etc., but not with the benefits nor salary of the Corning's.

The other jobs that came were in the realm of construction as developer galore plowed the once vibrant orchards and replaced it with nail gun specials in a land of no zoning and good ole' boy negotiations () Of course with the housing bubble, those jobs are disappearing.

Other items: Downtown. The decline in incomes along with the influx of Washington DC, has also brought decay to downtown Martinsburg and the east side. Crime has doubled, walking alone on Queen Street is not the safest idea. Stores have closed, deli's have gone out of business, even St. Johns Lutheran Church has a bolt locked access code door for safety.

Martinsburg is not what it once was, then again neither are many other towns in America, but one thing that Martinsburg is lacking which is free of income, free of employment, and free of material is Pride.

I was in another small town this week, Monday listed on this thread. Bowling Green, KY. Downtown with clean streets, old buildings being re-furbished, new shopping, a new Harley store, etc., Elderly folks walking down main without being hassled by thugs, basically town Pride.

I can see points made by Three Run and I can also agree strongly with Katie.
I lived in Martinsburg for close to 30 years. Four generations of my family lived there before me and a few still do. What was once Boom Town is now at a cross road, but without regaining it's pride Bust Town may be the new song of the city.

For reference: There was an old story as to why the Rt 9 corridor was created. In the 80's Sen. KKK Byrd bought a nice home in the Woods Resort, he did not like being held up on the old country road to his get a way, thus the road. As with the jobs, Pork Barrel Bob has come through on that end with some lower G pay rated government specials.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia