U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 10:03 AM

179 posts, read 320,525 times
Default Potomac River

I'd like information on this area. I don't know if it's Cherry Run or Falling Waters. I am really concerned about flooding, schools and medical. (My mom has a very bad heart.)

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2008, 12:39 PM

179 posts, read 320,525 times
Anybody?

Old 03-17-2008, 12:49 PM

55 posts, read 155,300 times
The Potomac is a rather long river, with a lot of branches and forks in WV. You might need to be a little more specific, like which county. I think that will help you get better informed responses.

Good Luck. I live in Pocahontas County, and that is where the Potomac begins.

Old 03-17-2008, 01:18 PM

2,379 posts, read 4,188,438 times
South Branch, that is... I believe the North Branch begins at Lord Fairfax's Stone up in Tucker County.

If I'm not mistaken, Falling Waters is in Maryland, not WV.

Old 03-17-2008, 01:45 PM

4,119 posts, read 6,803,571 times
Cherry Run is in Morgan County WV. It is situated off of Cherry Run Rd., which meanders from the South/Southeast of Rt.9 in Berkeley County over to Rt.9 East/Northeast in Morgan County. Cherry Run is considered an older area and situated along a very active railroad track. It is very close to the Potomac river and some properties do indeed lay within the flood plain.

You would have to be very specific about the address in order to check it against a FEMA flood plain map (which I have access to all counties/communities in WV).

Technically, Cherry Run is neither Falling Waters or Hedgesville area, but somewhere in between. If you turn onto Cherry Run Rd. heading west from Martinsburg, it is a mix of new homes, older homes, trailers, modular’s.. A total mixed bag of stuff. Cherry Run is mostly older homes, and by local standards considered ‘poor’.

Access to hospitals is so-so. You can go to Martinsburg’s City Hospital in about a half hour (maybe a little more) or Washington County MD in about 45-1hour.

Here is a link to mapquest and Cherry Run (if it works). If not, look up Cherry Run on Mapquest and use the directional arrows to scan around. You’ll see what I mean.

Hope this helps.

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/%5B1-132%5D+Cherry+Run+Rd+Hedgesville+WV+25427/? (http://www.mapquest.com/maps/%5B1-132%5D+Cherry+Run+Rd+Hedgesville+WV+25427/ - broken link)

Old 03-17-2008, 02:33 PM

1,500 posts, read 4,774,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snorpus View Post
South Branch, that is... I believe the North Branch begins at Lord Fairfax's Stone up in Tucker County.

If I'm not mistaken, Falling Waters is in Maryland, not WV.
No Falling Waters is in WV but right over the MD line. It is best stated that is is evenly between Martinsburg WV and Hagerstown MD. I live in Falling Waters and our community has access to the Potomac. I am not sure where the houses closest to the Potomac will be when the community is done but if my house floods we all are in BIG trouble. Actually, we are not in a flood zone.

Hope this helps.

Old 03-17-2008, 04:26 PM

2,776 posts, read 6,581,618 times
Couple of items. Cherry Run is in both Morgan and Berkeley as many of schoolmates in HHS, both the old and new school came from Cherry Run Berkeley.

Falling Waters is in West By God. In regard to flooding.There are two items here. The flood plane borders and includes some of Whitings Neck and most of Trees Bottom. These are old farming areas, where my aunt lived in the 50's and also part of the old DuPont land also part of Falling Waters.

The other items of concern in this area is underground streams causing sink holes. Much of the area in Berkeley has this issue due to old abandoned quarry locations and the underground railroad.
I can remember as a kid, we were not in a flood plane, but after a storm we lost half our back yard due to a sink hole. About 20-25 years ago we lost a part of Route 9 beside what used to be Martin Marrietta, due to cavern's.

As I state to anyone who wants to buy in Berkeley. Make sure you get a full property and home inspection from a certified Maryland inspector. This will give you an unbiased view of your home location in an area which does not have much in the way of proper property inspection and absolute zero zoning.

The sad part of development in areas of no zoning is surprise. Being a 4th generation Martinsburger, I could give you a scenic ride around the county and show you many a development that sits on now, what was a giant flood location. Nothing a lot of dirt, rock, and tons of tree stumps can't build up. Well, until the tree stumps rot!

Old 03-17-2008, 07:59 PM

You don't need a Maryland inspector. I know quite a number of very reputable and decent inspectors and appraisers in the Eastern Panhandle who will tell you like it is and I dealt with them on an almost daily basis.

As a matter of fact, some of the Maryland and Virginia inspectors I have met are cut from the 'get your inspection license from the 'Fly By Night licensing institute.com' ilk. No contracting experience, no technical experience, just on-line learned morons who couldn't tell a rafter built roof from a truss.

Same is true with appraisers.

And the epicenter of Cherry Run proper is in Morgan, however the area known as Cherry Run does straddle both counties. Portions of each are located within the 100 year flood plain.

Old 03-18-2008, 05:45 AM

2,776 posts, read 6,581,618 times
I'll agree to disagree. Maryland has some tough building codes unlike WV.
Also, ole B'urg is still rather tight on the wink, wink, nod, nod, ole boy system, where the clique is tight.

Then again, things can change but when I'm in town I still see much of the same on the local level.

Just check them out. Off of Three's response, never hurts to ask where the inspector received his credentials, what is their background, are they bonded and insured?

Home purchase is major, don't be shy in regard to protecting yourself.

Old 03-18-2008, 02:24 PM

The guy that bought my house in Inwood used a Maryland inspector. He was easy to say the least. Maybe an hour and a half tops?

Here's the rub I have with 'inspectors'. The guy in Maryland, like most others, are not licensed general contractors. The course work to become an inspector is not anywhere as difficult as becoming a licensed general contractor. I'm not saying that they are all incompetent, but dangit if I want a home really inspected, I want somebody who has been involved, and I mean deeply involved with all aspects of home building and remodeling.

The guy I used in Clarksburg (and the folks I know in Berkeley) are all GC's. The guy that did my home in Harrison County spent 4 hours and charged $300 bucks. I was left with a 'punch' out list starting with incorrectly installed gas flue pipes to which outlets were wired reverse polarity. He inspected the chimney (which general inspectors will not do), soffits, gutters and spikes, mortar on brick, copper supply and waste lines for corrosion etc..etc..

I'm still working on some of the punch out items 2 months later...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia