Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2017, 11:37 AM

39 posts, read 64,828 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

My husband and I have been looking to live somewhere else in the US for a while now. I'm born and raised in Portland, Oregon. My husband is from Ohio. I've recently been looking into West Virginia, my husband always loved visiting there when he was younger. I wanted to get some general thoughts on where within WV might be good to consider. Here are some more details about us and what we are looking for:
  • We are a couple in our 30s/early 40s, no kids (none to be) and have big dogs (2).
  • Work isn't a concern, I'll be able to keep my current job and work remotely
  • Need cable internet option(s)
  • Hoping to rent an apartment or house (not looking to buy) would prefer rent to be at or under $1,400/month for a 2 bed, 2 baths.
  • We prefer not to be in a big city, but a smaller city or town would be just fine
  • We aren't socialites, we tend to be homebodies unless we are out fishing and camping
  • LOVE rain, snow and stormy weather, I hide inside when hot but know I'll face that anywhere
  • MUST have a movie theater
  • Being close to the Ohio River would be a plus but not required

Questions, what is minimum wage there? I know my husband would love the chance to work in a theater or bookstore if there was ever a position but wouldn't be necessary, he's currently a mechanic.

I would love to hear peoples thoughts and recommendations!

Thanks in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2017, 01:31 PM

632 posts, read 823,373 times
Given your criteria I'd recommend:

Elkins
Lewisburg

If being close to the river is important then perhaps consider Ripley or Ravenswood

Minimum wage is $7.25

Old 10-31-2017, 02:12 PM

456 posts, read 597,945 times
minimum wage is 8.75 and anywhere in the state should be under 1400 for a two bedroom apartment!!!!!!

Old 10-31-2017, 02:26 PM

6,945 posts, read 11,205,661 times
I'll throw in Cumberland, MD just over the Potomac and stone's throw away from WV. You would have your river access, movie theatre, small city/big town, 1400 would get you a big house in a nice neighborhood, and snow is rather common in the winter (more accumulation in higher elevations) and frequent t-storms.

Good luck.

Old 11-01-2017, 06:33 PM

1,952 posts, read 4,778,580 times
It might be a good idea to visit the area before you relocate your entire family......

Old 11-01-2017, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundance View Post
It might be a good idea to visit the area before you relocate your entire family......
Well "entire family" is just me and my husband and the fur babies, but visiting in advance is an absolute given, multiple visits. But getting advice to narrow down where to visit and look is helpful.

Thanks everyone who gave suggestions. I really appreciate. I'm looking forward to continuing to read more here on the forums as I research further.

Thank you!

Old 11-01-2017, 07:51 PM

456 posts, read 597,945 times
Elkins and Lewisburg are great towns but both are about 2-3 hours from the Ohio. plenty of rivers around both. They are in scenic areas. Buckhannon is a nice little town as is Moorefield or Shepherdstown which are in the eastern panhandle and Sheperstown is on the Potomac and a very cool little town. st Clairsville ohio is a nice town. Fayettesville WV is a great choice also. none of these are over 8,000 in population.

Old 11-02-2017, 04:29 PM

1,084 posts, read 1,868,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linaeve View Post
Hi everyone,

My husband and I have been looking to live somewhere else in the US for a while now. I'm born and raised in Portland, Oregon. My husband is from Ohio. I've recently been looking into West Virginia, my husband always loved visiting there when he was younger. I wanted to get some general thoughts on where within WV might be good to consider. Here are some more details about us and what we are looking for:
  • We are a couple in our 30s/early 40s, no kids (none to be) and have big dogs (2).
  • Work isn't a concern, I'll be able to keep my current job and work remotely
  • Need cable internet option(s)--Suddenlink Internet has been very dependable for me
  • Hoping to rent an apartment or house (not looking to buy) would prefer rent to be at or under $1,400/month for a 2 bed, 2 baths. Probably almost half this amount.
  • We prefer not to be in a big city, but a smaller city or town would be just fine Williamstown very small community right on the Ohio River across from Marietta, OH (first settlement of the Northwest) and is a nice town. Parkersburg is a little bigger, also on the river.
  • We aren't socialites, we tend to be homebodies unless we are out fishing and camping On the Ohio but don't eat the fish. Mountwood Park out Rt 50 E has a nice lake. North Bend State Park has nice camping facilities or go N into OH for Salt Fork State Park or Forked Run State Park. Many other WV State Parks within a few hours drive with both camping/fishing.
  • LOVE rain, snow and stormy weather, I hide inside when hot but know I'll face that anywhere Rain, snow, storms and heat, we have them all.
  • MUST have a movie theater Marietta has one and the mall in Vienna above Parkersburg has one also.
  • Being close to the Ohio River would be a plus but not required Can't get any closer

Questions, what is minimum wage there? I know my husband would love the chance to work in a theater or bookstore there is a used bookstore in Parkersburg if there was ever a position but wouldn't be necessary, he's currently a mechanic.

I would love to hear peoples thoughts and recommendations!

Thanks in advance!!
Wood County -- Williamstown, Waverly, Vienna, and Parkersburg SEE COMMENTS ABOVE IN RED (I hope I did it correctly)

Last edited by mensaguy; 11-03-2017 at 05:24 AM.. Reason: Red is reserved for use on Moderator Actions. Red changed to blue.

Old 11-04-2017, 01:40 PM

You guys are fantastic! Thank you so much! So many great places to consider!

Old 11-04-2017, 04:39 PM

2,074 posts, read 2,006,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D T WV MOUNTAINS View Post
minimum wage is 8.75 and anywhere in the state should be under 1400 for a two bedroom apartment!!!!!!
That's normal and even cheap rent for the OP and myself who is just up from her in Seattle . Plus she wont be working in WV .

We are checking out other places to go as well although we are older than OP and have lived all over the world .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia