U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2017, 11:11 AM

9,447 posts, read 7,595,884 times

Advertisements

Drugs and fast food. What food they do cook is OVER cooked to the point that the nutritional value is destroyed and then it is loaded up with too much salt.

Old 12-19-2017, 09:04 PM

617 posts, read 362,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
Drugs and fast food. What food they do cook is OVER cooked to the point that the nutritional value is destroyed and then it is loaded up with too much salt.

While West Virginia does have an opioid problem that is not unique. On a per capita basis, West Virginia has a very low rating of fast food outlets and those it does have are generally not considered noteworthy performers in volume or profit for the respective chains. I am unaware of any metric that is in place to measure the cooking level of any food in any state. What I could find on sodium intact was per capita and West Virginia actually is ranked to wards the bottom.

Your experience may suggest otherwise, but the data available does not corroborate your assertions.

West Virginia does have issues, but I place most of it on the median age of the population. The older we get the more likely we are to be over weight and have diabetes and thus some form of heart disease. West Virginia has a top 5 ranking in median age and all of the state in the top 5 share similar issues with these afflictions. While that is not proof, it certainly is a starting point for further findings.

Old 12-20-2017, 10:47 AM

9,401 posts, read 11,458,293 times
Median ages differ greatly from one part of the state to another too. It is over simplistic to attribute things like that as a general attribute, unless you are referring to specific areas within the state.

Old 12-20-2017, 04:52 PM

617 posts, read 362,454 times
CT, man as much as I like you, you need to get the hometown stick out of your butt. A state-wide statics is a S T A T E W I D E statistic. You take offense to anything that has to do with extreme northern West Virginia - get over it man. I am sure you understand the meaning of the word average and median and so on.

Median Ages differ by household but that is a pointless demarcation just as your idea that your town is all that and every other place in the state is a crap hole. Sorry buddy, but this is West Virginia, every town in this state is a crap hole. Sorry you did not get the memo. Travel around the country and compare notes. No town in West Virginia is all that. I love West Virginia and love many places in it, some I don't but I see them for what they are and not because of an emotional attachment beyond its value to any one not from here.

Old 12-20-2017, 05:26 PM

10,273 posts, read 10,379,895 times
It might be better to go ahead a close this before the fight starts. We just don't need any "my town is better than your town" free-for-alls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or