U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2018, 05:18 AM

400 posts, read 222,175 times

Advertisements

The two year schools were supposed to have already combined their administrations. This would save a lot of money and make them more efficient. Instead of 8 registrars you would have one, same for admissions directors, financial aid directors, finance directors and the list would go on and on. One president instead of 8 and the list would go on and on. Several other states have already done this. 4 year schools would be a whole lot harder to do but the 2 year schools are facing problems and don't need to be little kingdoms running themselves into the ground and not serving the purpose they were intended for in the first place. Maybe something like thi could work for the very smallest 4 year schools but that's really pushing it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2018, 11:25 AM

661 posts, read 395,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnNada View Post
The two year schools were supposed to have already combined their administrations. This would save a lot of money and make them more efficient. Instead of 8 registrars you would have one, same for admissions directors, financial aid directors, finance directors and the list would go on and on. One president instead of 8 and the list would go on and on. Several other states have already done this. 4 year schools would be a whole lot harder to do but the 2 year schools are facing problems and don't need to be little kingdoms running themselves into the ground and not serving the purpose they were intended for in the first place. Maybe something like thi could work for the very smallest 4 year schools but that's really pushing it.

All of this seems very logical, but the practice has not produced good results in the one case in which I am personally familiar: Bridge Engineering of Montgomery being forced by the state to merge with Kanawha Valley Community and Technical College. The merger produced Bridge Valley CTC and has been in my opinion a complete disaster. KVCTC was a wonderful institution, staffed by an engaging faculty, paying their bills and growing. After the merger, a new president came in, the staff had a 100% turnover, the students hate it universally and they have twice had evictions notices published in the Charleston Gazette.

I think the problem is one cronyism. West Virginia is one of the most corrupt states for this disease and it slithers its way into every activity involving tax payer supported organizations and operations. I would prefer, (no surprise) that WVU absorb all of the 2-year colleges in the state in the same fashion that they did with WV Technical. If Marshall had been close to one of them (Bridge Valley) being the closest they might pick up one, but again in my personal opinion, Marshall is not on the same level as WVU when it comes to running some aspects of an institution of higher learning.

Many of the students completing course work at these 2-years go on to WVU most of the time any way. Most of the ones that complete at Bridge Valley tend to go to WVSU in Institute and not Marshall.

Old 04-18-2018, 12:54 PM

9,464 posts, read 11,680,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caden Grace View Post
All of this seems very logical, but the practice has not produced good results in the one case in which I am personally familiar: Bridge Engineering of Montgomery being forced by the state to merge with Kanawha Valley Community and Technical College. The merger produced Bridge Valley CTC and has been in my opinion a complete disaster. KVCTC was a wonderful institution, staffed by an engaging faculty, paying their bills and growing. After the merger, a new president came in, the staff had a 100% turnover, the students hate it universally and they have twice had evictions notices published in the Charleston Gazette.

I think the problem is one cronyism. West Virginia is one of the most corrupt states for this disease and it slithers its way into every activity involving tax payer supported organizations and operations. I would prefer, (no surprise) that WVU absorb all of the 2-year colleges in the state in the same fashion that they did with WV Technical. If Marshall had been close to one of them (Bridge Valley) being the closest they might pick up one, but again in my personal opinion, Marshall is not on the same level as WVU when it comes to running some aspects of an institution of higher learning.

Many of the students completing course work at these 2-years go on to WVU most of the time any way. Most of the ones that complete at Bridge Valley tend to go to WVSU in Institute and not Marshall.
Marshall had their own community college in Huntington, a very good one, that was ripped off from them too. That should absolutely be returned to them.

I couldn't agree more. The community colleges should be merged back to their parent institutions, and those who don't have a parent school combined on the Penn State model with WVU. This state can not effectively support the bureaucracy building monstrosity created by our former Governor in which to hide political hacks, family members and cronies.

Old 04-24-2018, 10:50 AM

1,294 posts, read 3,376,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
Marshall had their own community college in Huntington, a very good one, that was ripped off from them too. That should absolutely be returned to them.

I couldn't agree more. The community colleges should be merged back to their parent institutions, and those who don't have a parent school combined on the Penn State model with WVU. This state can not effectively support the bureaucracy building monstrosity created by our former Governor in which to hide political hacks, family members and cronies.
I think you are 100% correct on the need to implement more of Penn State model with the West Virginia community colleges- I have never understood why this has never been a consideration. Sure PA is a much larger state, but something on a smaller scale could still work in West Virginia. I think the quality of public school education varies greatly across the state and this model could aid in preparing some students for the much stronger demands that will be placed on them once they get to a place like WVU. I am not trying to bash small rural schools (as there are plenty of success stories) but from my experience if often seemed like those students were the ones that struggled academically at WVU during freshman year. They had cruised through high school earning a 3.98 GPA by just walking into the building and thought college classes would be the same- unfortunately for many in that position, it didn't with them returning for sophomore year.

Old 07-16-2018, 05:06 PM

4,197 posts, read 6,970,931 times
Interesting development at the HEP-C. It appears an interim leader was appointed that does not meet the requirements for a chancellor. It was such a hot topic that the General Counsel resigned immediately after the vote, quoting state law that insinuated that he saw the appointment as "criminal or fraudulent."

Quote:
Before the vote to hire Long, HEPC General Counsel Bruce Walker, who immediately retired after the vote (he said he previously planned to retire Aug. 1), read state law's requirements for a chancellor, including that the person must be "free of institutional or regional biases." HEPC Board Chairman Michael Farrell said the section of law Walker cited refers to a permanent chancellor, and said the law doesn't reference interim chancellors.

"I find it difficult to understand why the HEPC would want to create, even on an interim basis, that appearance of a conflict," Espinosa said. "I still think the appointment of President Long does violate the spirit of that requirement, and certainly it violates what should be an effort to avoid any appearance of bias."
Leaders criticize chancellor change | News | herald-dispatch.com

Quote:
Walker cited a provision of the Rules of Professional Conduct (a set of rules governing how West Virginia lawyers should conduct themselves) as he resigned.

That provision allows a lawyer to stop representing a client if “the client persists in a course of action involving the lawyer’s services that the lawyer reasonably believes is criminal or fraudulent,” among other reasons.
https://www.wvnews.com/news/wvnews/h...53a52c2aa.html

Old 11-18-2018, 07:30 AM

Update:

WV MetroNews – Blue Ribbon Commission may loosen W.Va. college oversight

In related news, college enrollment counts down almost 9% 2014-2018:

4-year college freshman enrollment drops | News | herald-dispatch.com

Old 01-07-2019, 06:47 AM

Interesting critique:

https://www.herald-dispatch.com/opin...b91892129.html

Old 01-07-2019, 07:25 AM

9,464 posts, read 11,680,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
The critique is flat out wrong. President Gee is presiding over significant increases in enrollment, in spite of the decline in college aged people in West Virginia. The statements he made referred to growth in online program participation. I don't have the numbers of such enrollment, but it numbers in the thousands and involves students from throughout the world.

There has been some decline in on campus enrollment at the Morgantown campus due to increased requirements for admission. At this time, all entering instate students much score at least the mean test scores on the standardized tests for all graduating high school students in the state. In the past, they allowed most instate students to enroll as long as they met the math and foreign language high school course requirements. WVU does not have a remedial program. The result is fewer entering students drop out after the first year.

Similar to the programs in effect at flagship schools in other states, students who do not meet the requirements to enter can attend branch campuses, community colleges, or other colleges and transfer in if they establish successful participation after a certain number of credit hours.

Gee is doing an outstanding job at WVU. Every year breaks the previous one in terms of fundraising and growth of the endowments ($1.1 billion in donations raised during the most recent endeavor), the school has been recognized by the Carnegie Foundation as a Top 120 R1 national research institution, and an ambitious facilities improvement program is in progress that in total will result in more than $1 billion in new and improved facilities built at no cost to state taxpayers. Community and public - private partnerships are resulting in first rate Olympic level aquatic, baseball, and track and field facilities benefitting both the school and the public at large.

The medical component, also under Dr. Gee's leadership, has grown exponentially and now employs more than 15,000 people throughout the state. If our state operated as well as the university operates, it wouldn't be dragging up the rear in most categories.

Last edited by CTMountaineer; 01-07-2019 at 07:49 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or