Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2018, 10:44 AM

799 posts, read 3,225,931 times

Advertisements

Hi guys!

My hubby and I want to move back up north after ten years here in North Carolina. We love it here in Greensboro, but really miss our family, who currently resides in Charles Town, WV.

Seeing that that immediate area is a bit of a Tri-State combo, I'm having a hard time investigating everything!
Maybe you guys can help?

FOR DAUGHTER - she is an avid artist and plus violin in her current school. Are there any "art high schools" anywhere in the vicinity? She's 13 and will be in 8th grade next, so really focusing more on the high school aspect for her. For Colleges, staying just over the border in Loudoun County would be cool, but again, I can't seem to find any information about Loudoun County schools from the Eastern border through to Leesburg! Help please! ** alternately, It would be nice if she went to the same high school as her 3 cousins who go to Jefferson county schools.

FOR MYSELF - I am a professional artist, painter! I do pet portraits, some Plein Air (painting landscapes outside), and am building up my collection to one day show, and do sales online. Being relatively close to DC is a plus for that, but locally, I'd like to know the ART BUZZ in the trip-state niche! Aside from Michael's in Fredericksburg, is there anything else? Just curious! Are there any other artists in Charles Town, frederick, etc who can get in touch with me? Thank you!

FOR HUBBY - the Love of my Life! He has been with Barnes and Noble for 15 years, he's solid and really great at what he does in Management, and would love to stay with BN, but --- he is looking to become a store manager in that area, and NOT have to venture to NOVA at all. Leesburg, he might be okay with, but he hates that route 7 as much as I do. He's a serious book buff, video games, comics, coffee, so much. So any of those things you could mention would be a big help, too!

We used to live in Ashburn. Went back last month, and everything is built up! WOW! Looks nice, but we can't breathe. So that area is not an option for living on the regular. Hubby's mom is getting on in years, the cousins are all growing up without us, and we want to be close by again!! Thank you for your help!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2018, 12:22 PM

537 posts, read 958,308 times
Only thought that comes to mind is that for y'all's artistic side, look into Shepherdstown WV, right by Harpers Ferry and Charles Town.

Old 04-22-2018, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunkydawg View Post
Only thought that comes to mind is that for y'all's artistic side, look into Shepherdstown WV, right by Harpers Ferry and Charles Town.
Thanks spunkydawg! Do you know of any art stores in particular? or artist groups?

Old 04-23-2018, 04:50 PM

2,021 posts, read 4,611,712 times
Shepherdstown definitely has that 'artsy' vibe you may be looking for as does Frederick Maryland (on a larger scale). I cannot speak for any specific art schools, however I am sure you could find a number of programs affiliated with Shepherd University. Shepherdstown is a very cool town and with the university there you get some added benefits that not all towns that size can offer.

Re: Loudoun County- western Loudoun close to the West Va border is a lot different than booming Ashburn/Dulles/ Aldie/ Leesburg areas east of Rt. 15 but schools are a tough one. The county had about 170k people in 2000 and there are around 400k now. With all that growth has come dozens of new schools and several more every year. In western Loudoun I believe there are two high schools: Loudoun Valley and Woodgrove both of which are around Purcellville. You can probably find more information in the Northern Virginia forum or on the LCPS website.

To be honest- The Eastern Panhandle along with Frederick and also western Loudoun are all nice areas but it is hard to give additional advice without knowing other factors such as your housing budget and where you plan to work. You likely already know how soul crushing traffic can be in the DC area so it is strongly advised figure out where you will be commuting and go from there. I know you mentioned your husband is hoping to 'not have to venture to NOVA at all' but unfortunately that is where many of the jobs will be located. Many more will be in Montgomery County, MD or DC.

Old 04-27-2018, 03:41 PM

461 posts, read 1,283,317 times
There is a great public arts high school in Hagerstown, Washington County MD. You'd have to live in Washington County for her to attend, or else pay tuition which is several thousands of dollars. If you lived in Boonsboro or Smithsburg, you can be in the school district and still close to Frederick and your family. Living on the MD side of Shepherdstown would work good too. Here is info on the school:

Barbara Ingram School for the Arts - Schools | Washington County Public Schools

Old 06-04-2018, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htownterp View Post
There is a great public arts high school in Hagerstown, Washington County MD. You'd have to live in Washington County for her to attend, or else pay tuition which is several thousands of dollars. If you lived in Boonsboro or Smithsburg, you can be in the school district and still close to Frederick and your family. Living on the MD side of Shepherdstown would work good too. Here is info on the school:

Barbara Ingram School for the Arts - Schools | Washington County Public Schools
You are a sweetie! This is just the kind of thing I was hoping to find for her! Hagerstown is still a bit of a trek, but like you said, Boonsboro, etc? Sweet little place. I dig it.
Thanks so much!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia