Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2018, 08:22 PM

799 posts, read 3,226,783 times

Advertisements

Hello everybody! I hope you are doing well! We have a brief visit for three days to the Frederick and Harper’s ferry area. More to investigate but to just see what’s out there. In-laws live in Charles Town, WV. Are there any events going on this weekend? Any places to eat we should go? Thanks in advance y’all! Have a great week! Woohooo!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2018, 06:35 AM

632 posts, read 831,931 times
My in-laws live in Charles Town as well. Not much to see there other than the track. Harper's Ferry is a great place to spend half a day. For food in Harper's Ferry, I'd probably recommend The Anvil or Potomac Grille. If you've got the energy, hike Maryland Heights for that famous view overlooking Harper's Ferry. You may also want to check out Shepherdstown. It's a very eclectic little town with some shops and galleries along East German Street. For food, I'd recommend domestic or the Press Room. Over the border from there, Antietam is worth a trip. Other than that, I don't really have any recommendations for Frederick as I haven't spent much time there.

Old 07-13-2018, 08:22 AM

7,008 posts, read 11,304,621 times
Market St. and the Baker Park area are probably the two "things to do" in Frederick. Market St. is the gentrified Main St. of the town, full of restaurants, stores, a Civil War museum etc. It connects to Baker Park (more or less) with a new river walk type attraction the city put in about 5 or so years ago.

There are some good hiking trails on the MD side too if that is your style. I can give you some recommendations, just let me know.

Old 07-13-2018, 08:48 AM

1,084 posts, read 1,881,972 times
The Charles Town Race track provides an excellent buffet and the horse racing is fun to watch even without making any bets.

Shepherd University hosts a summer arts festival and make have live plays available on campus in Shepherdstown.

Old 07-13-2018, 08:54 AM

2,269 posts, read 1,638,338 times
Downtown Frederick is actually nice. It has a new linear canal park that runs right through the city. There are a fair number of shops and food places along the canal but much more in the town itself, which is fairly compact and easily walked. There is a unique knife and darts store (Edgeworks) on the main drag that is a must see if you’re even remotely into that type of thing.

https://www.cityoffrederick.com/169/Carroll-Creek-Park

If you like eating out there are a ton of really nice restaurants in downtown. Dutch’s Daughter is an excellent restaurant that is a bit out of town, so you’d only know about it if someone tells you, but a bit pricey.

http://www.dutchsdaughter.com/indextablet.htm

Old 07-13-2018, 02:59 PM

799 posts, read 3,226,783 times
Great tips guys!! Lookin forward to it! Great tip too about the arts festival - I’m a painter so that’s right up mya key.

Old 07-20-2018, 12:02 AM

5,044 posts, read 2,398,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 304eer View Post
My in-laws live in Charles Town as well. Not much to see there other than the track. Harper's Ferry is a great place to spend half a day. For food in Harper's Ferry, I'd probably recommend The Anvil or Potomac Grille. If you've got the energy, hike Maryland Heights for that famous view overlooking Harper's Ferry. You may also want to check out Shepherdstown. It's a very eclectic little town with some shops and galleries along East German Street. For food, I'd recommend domestic or the Press Room. Over the border from there, Antietam is worth a trip. Other than that, I don't really have any recommendations for Frederick as I haven't spent much time there.
There i a parking lot on the left before you go down the hill. It is a view point and has some decrepit hotel that is being redeveloped. it is probably the best view point in town with out hiking.

Old 08-25-2018, 04:24 PM

3 posts, read 2,297 times
I am a weekend late, but I lived in the Frederick area for 22 years and was big into the outdoors as well as history, so here's some places I'd recommend for anyone visiting the area:

Other than what has been mentioned, 15 miles north of Frederick, in the Thurmont area, some points of interest include Cunningham Falls as well as the nearby historic Catoctin Furnace and the covered bridge at Loys Station Park. To the west, Lake Greenbrier offers swimming, however I haven't been in over 10 years. It was very nice when I was young.

In Frederick, the linear park/river walk @westsideboy was referring to is known as Carroll Creek. Lots of shops nearby and very walk-able.

The Frederick Fairgrounds will have activities many weekends, typically sales and stuff.

Some of my favorite Frederick "fine dining" establishments are Dutch's Daughter ($$$) and Family Meal ($$).

In the Harper's Ferry area, I'd highly recommend seeing the historic points of interest around town. I vaguely remember enjoying the John Brown wax museum as a wee lad.

Do not miss getting up to the overlook! It is truly awesome.

If the weather is nice, there is also rental tubing on the Potomac. A nearby campground along the river has a zipline too.

Heck, I can't wait to move back home next year...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia