Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 01:08 PM

13,900 posts, read 9,768,836 times

Advertisements

What happens to West Virginia when the coal is all mined and none is left?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2010, 01:22 PM

2,429 posts, read 7,235,461 times
Ask me in about 250 years, that's how much coal is left.

Old 12-02-2010, 02:03 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,654,259 times
The metro DC area goes dark and West Virginians throw another log on the fire and make candles.

Old 12-03-2010, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snorpus View Post
Ask me in about 250 years, that's how much coal is left.
That's the point, it will run out one day. Hopefully the state thinks long-term and has a backup plan. Putting all of your eggs in one basket is a dangerous economic policy.

Old 12-03-2010, 06:42 AM

423 posts, read 1,237,337 times
Same thing that happened when the steel mills declined .... people will shift to new employment sectors. Unfortunately, alot of those employment opportunitites were not within WV. Hopefully some vision-oriented politicians and business people can change that as the coal industry shrinks.

I see alot of "coal, coal, coal" chatter in the news, but I don't think that coal makes up a huge percentage of WV revenue. I could certainly be mistaken about that.

I realize that I'm alone way out on the limb with this ....... while there might be 250 years of coal left in the ground, hopefully we're weaned off of coal (in a major power sense) alot sooner than that. Having grown up in the shadow of Shippingport, PA, I don't understand why we haven't shifted away from coal sooner.

Old 12-03-2010, 09:49 AM

4,714 posts, read 13,312,547 times
Wv Coal is exported to China and India..with that market increasing greatly.

Coal will be used for the shortage in plastics as natural gas becomes the fuel of choice.

No reduction of coal mining is seen for the next several decades...

Old 12-04-2010, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billscamaros View Post
Same thing that happened when the steel mills declined .... people will shift to new employment sectors. Unfortunately, alot of those employment opportunitites were not within WV. Hopefully some vision-oriented politicians and business people can change that as the coal industry shrinks.

I see alot of "coal, coal, coal" chatter in the news, but I don't think that coal makes up a huge percentage of WV revenue. I could certainly be mistaken about that.

I realize that I'm alone way out on the limb with this ....... while there might be 250 years of coal left in the ground, hopefully we're weaned off of coal (in a major power sense) alot sooner than that. Having grown up in the shadow of Shippingport, PA, I don't understand why we haven't shifted away from coal sooner.
I agree. We should be investing in conservation efforts first to reduce our demand and then try to get as much power from wind and solar as we can, then whatever else power we still need should come from nuclear.

Old 12-04-2010, 07:31 AM

423 posts, read 1,237,337 times
winter .... sounds good, but the wind and solar energy thing doesn't seem too viable on a large scale. seems to me that nuclear power is the way to go.

david .... so we've sent a huge amount of our manufacturing base overseas, and "Wv Coal is exported to China and India..with that market increasing greatly." this doesn't seem to be a positive trend.

Old 12-04-2010, 08:38 AM

5,722 posts, read 5,798,945 times
It is so foolish the way WV trys to rely on coal and tourism to support the whole state. Every WV politician needs fired immediately and new blood brought in. There is no excuse for the horrible job situation....areas of the state like where I live in the northern panhandle should have tons of jobs.

Old 12-04-2010, 12:44 PM

4,714 posts, read 13,312,547 times
America is giving up the Pacific defense to the Indians....building 27 aircraft carriers in Chennai as we speak...

We have 6 aircraft carriers total....3/4 in service and 2 in drydock...

What is happening is this, the Chinese are buying the planet....Africa, USA, Eurpope and Asia...
investment of our dollars going to China and then being redistributed to the world...along with their own capital.

Our population and work force is diminished to the point that having a 'Production Economy is not feasable.

The population on welfare, drugs (legal and Illegal) and socialized police will be easier to control..

True democracy lies in the merging china who has a idea of it and will bring it to their people gradually
and the Indians, who have had a taste of 'wealth example' from the English and will ride the wave of their population explosion with a 'goods/rewards style economy..

We had this from about 1830 until 1980...now it's over for us and time for somebody else to take the ride..

Our future...certanly not as robust as the others because our cycle has almost ended.

To have these expanding economy's, an area must have an expansion of population coupled with education...

We have neither...the answer is to go where this Is happening...many did it here in ages past and learned new customs and languages...

It can be done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia