Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2006, 10:58 AM

215 posts, read 1,164,278 times

Advertisements

Hi. We're a married couple and visited WV twice (we stayed at Black Bear in Tucker county, Davis area) and we ARE IN LOVE!!!

We have decided to move there, our lease here is up 5/2007 - so that is when we're moving!

We desire the high elevation mountain areas, like Tucker and the surrounding counties (mild summers, cold winters with plenty of snow).

We are going to rent a home the first year down there and see how it goes.

Here is the question: How are the jobs? I have plenty of experience in office jobs and medical office's. I have medical background but my certs all expired.

Also, I notice the average 3 BR rental house is $500/month. That is very cheap (we are currently paying here in NJ $1150/month 3BR). The cost of living appears to be cheaper as well.

If anyone can let me know how the jobs are as far as availability and average pay rates that would be great. And if anyone knows of anyone who is looking to rent out their home I would be in the market!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2006, 05:30 PM

27 posts, read 107,047 times
Hi ,
Everything in WV is beautiful and the people so friendly and helpful as a whole. But WV is a depressed state economically. Good paying jobs hard to find. Mostly very low wages.
I wish you and family the best. wvrose

Old 12-24-2006, 07:28 PM

Thank you so much WVrose. I have been told of the poor economy. I went to a job site and saw some pay for some jobs. There was a bank teller with starting salary $10/hr. Some jobs as low as $6/hr, others $12/hr. I guess it depends on the type of job. But it seems the cost of housing is also lower than most areas.
Another site I went to had a "cost of living calculator" and calculated my zip code (08088) with Davis, WV zip code (26260) and it said the cost of living was 21% cheaper than here in NJ.

Nevertheless, I am willing to make sacrifices to live among nice people and beautiful mountains (not to mention fresh air and clean water).

Old 12-27-2006, 09:12 AM

4 posts, read 31,180 times
If you are in the medical field you should be OK with work. West Virginia has the oldest average population in the country. That is because everyone has to leave for workand then comes back to retire. There is a hospital in nearby Randolph County (Elkins). There is also a hospital in nearby Oakland (Maryland) just across the state border. There is also a small hospital in nieghboring Barbour County. There are also several clinics throught the rural communities. I live in neighboring Preston County and I have no desire to leave!

Old 12-27-2006, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplehillbilly
If you are in the medical field you should be OK with work. West Virginia has the oldest average population in the country. That is because everyone has to leave for workand then comes back to retire. There is a hospital in nearby Randolph County (Elkins). There is also a hospital in nearby Oakland (Maryland) just across the state border. There is also a small hospital in nieghboring Barbour County. There are also several clinics throught the rural communities. I live in neighboring Preston County and I have no desire to leave!
I don't blame you for not wanting to leave. I've visited WV twice and I can't imagine ever wanting to leave such a beautiful place!

Thanks for the response. I've been to Elkins once, I wouldn't wanna live in the town of Elkins, but the surrounding area is nice. The northern WV area is so beautiful.

Old 03-18-2007, 08:55 AM

13 posts, read 67,829 times
Anyone out there looking for a lot in the wonderful Timberline Four Seasons Resort community? I have a piece of land, 2.15 acres that I need to sell (oldest starting college in the fall, and the rest of the family is making a military move to DC metro area, where I can barely afford a 2 bedroom house!). Also, any suggestions as far as local newspapers to advertise in would be much appreciated. Thanks so much.

Old 03-18-2007, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abaker View Post
Anyone out there looking for a lot in the wonderful Timberline Four Seasons Resort community? I have a piece of land, 2.15 acres that I need to sell (oldest starting college in the fall, and the rest of the family is making a military move to DC metro area, where I can barely afford a 2 bedroom house!). Also, any suggestions as far as local newspapers to advertise in would be much appreciated. Thanks so much.
I am not a native WV gal but I would advertise suggest advertising your land in the Parsons Advocate and the Elkins Inter-Mountain.

Old 03-18-2007, 09:44 AM

13 posts, read 67,829 times
Thanks for the help. I also just discovered the "classified" section of this website!

Old 03-21-2007, 11:06 PM

5 posts, read 17,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinTheMountains View Post
Hi. We're a married couple and visited WV twice (we stayed at Black Bear in Tucker county, Davis area) and we ARE IN LOVE!!!

We have decided to move there, our lease here is up 5/2007 - so that is when we're moving!

We desire the high elevation mountain areas, like Tucker and the surrounding counties (mild summers, cold winters with plenty of snow).

We are going to rent a home the first year down there and see how it goes.

Here is the question: How are the jobs? I have plenty of experience in office jobs and medical office's. I have medical background but my certs all expired.

Also, I notice the average 3 BR rental house is $500/month. That is very cheap (we are currently paying here in NJ $1150/month 3BR). The cost of living appears to be cheaper as well.

If anyone can let me know how the jobs are as far as availability and average pay rates that would be great. And if anyone knows of anyone who is looking to rent out their home I would be in the market!

Thanks!
Hello,

My husband and I are also looking to sell our house (not the best time right now) and move to WV, I'm in Cinnaminson NJ right now. We have stayed in Preston County before and that was real nice there, how is Tucker county?

That was our next place to go check out and see. Preston County only took us five hours to get to which is important for me because i have little ones and will have to make several trips back to Jersey for family and all. Five to six hours wouldn't be bad at all.

How long did it take you guys to get to Tucker County? Are the roads difficult to drive on? Sorry i know that sounds silly but I've lived in Jersey all of my life so it is a little scary for me to get used to driving up and down the mountains on country roads with no guard rails, lol!

Good luck with your move!

Old 03-22-2007, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmag
Hello,

My husband and I are also looking to sell our house (not the best time right now) and move to WV, I'm in Cinnaminson NJ right now. We have stayed in Preston County before and that was real nice there, how is Tucker county?

That was our next place to go check out and see. Preston County only took us five hours to get to which is important for me because i have little ones and will have to make several trips back to Jersey for family and all. Five to six hours wouldn't be bad at all.

How long did it take you guys to get to Tucker County? Are the roads difficult to drive on? Sorry i know that sounds silly but I've lived in Jersey all of my life so it is a little scary for me to get used to driving up and down the mountains on country roads with no guard rails, lol!

Good luck with your move!
Tucker county is so beautiful! We did look at Preston County, and the southern half of Preston County is what we liked - the towns like Aurora and Horse Shoe Run were beautiful. But all in all we preferred Tucker/Randolph county. It took us 6 hours to get to Davis, WV the last time we went, and that included stopping twice (we have 2 kids so we had to stop, lol). I love the mountain roads, and the drive is not difficult at all. Some areas have guard rails, some don't.

We just got back from there 2 weeks ago, went looking around again and hooked up with a realtor as well. The snow in WV is not like snow in NJ - and yes I know that definitely sounds silly. It was snowing (to me it was like a blizzard but to the native WV folk it was just a snowy day, lol) and the snow was real slick. I took a turn too fast and we drove right over into a ditch! I had my husband and 2 kids with me, and had I been driving a little faster we must have fallen into the ravine! Thank God we were all okay - and our 4runner didn't have a scratch! The WV folk were telling me how common it is for that to happen, and I will tell you it scared me. I am 30 years old, been driving since I was 17 and never had an accident, so that was a wake up call to me that when we finally move I have to treat WV snow with more respect!

I am familiar with Cinnaminson, we used to live in Moorestown and my husband grew up in Riverside. We are in Tabernacle now, and even out here it's just not the same as WV. The air is so much fresher, and Davis has a mountain spring that you just park your car and fill up your water bottle and drink it fresh!

Good luck with your move also! Here are a few links to some real estate in the Tucker County area if you're interested:

http://www.mountaintoprealty.com/
http://www.canaanrealty.com/sales.htm (broken link)
http://www.unlimited.westvirginia.remax.com/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia