U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 12:22 PM

406 posts, read 362,511 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger175 View Post
Rockwool is just the start of many industrial plants. They planned on building the gas line into the panhandle to bring more low income industry jobs. Then their plan is to transport unemployed West Virginians to the panhandle to work.

Without Jefferson County, WV will literally crumble. Jefferson County is the powerhouse of the state and Charleston continues to screw it over. We have the lowest unemployment, the highest salaries and the most opportunity. Yet, they build the second largest pollutant to our county because somehow we need jobs. For one, those are too low paying for residents of Jefferson unless you're in high school. Second, why not build it where they actually need jobs in WV? The whole thing makes no sense and dirty, dirty politics played a role that everybody can see.
You're joking, right.....?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 01:38 PM

394 posts, read 218,810 times
I would though honestly think that building that type of plant would make a whole heck of a lot more sense in the chemical valley than the eastern pan handle. Sort of weird.

Old Yesterday, 09:01 PM

4,026 posts, read 2,540,238 times
I'm surprised that they didn't put it in Berkeley County (which has more industrial properties).

Old Today, 06:45 AM

1,013 posts, read 1,701,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger175 View Post
Rockwool is just the start of many industrial plants. They planned on building the gas line into the panhandle to bring more low income industry jobs. Then their plan is to transport unemployed West Virginians to the panhandle to work.

Without Jefferson County, WV will literally crumble. Jefferson County is the powerhouse of the state and Charleston continues to screw it over. We have the lowest unemployment, the highest salaries and the most opportunity. Yet, they build the second largest pollutant to our county because somehow we need jobs. For one, those are too low paying for residents of Jefferson unless you're in high school. Second, why not build it where they actually need jobs in WV? The whole thing makes no sense and dirty, dirty politics played a role that everybody can see.
I agree. I would include Berkeley in that as well from an economic growth perspective. It's hard for the rest of the state to understand, though. It's not their fault...we're just geographically and economically so different and have different needs.

Old Today, 06:48 AM

1,013 posts, read 1,701,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 304eer View Post
You're joking, right.....?
I'm with Ranger. Jefferson and Berkeley are bright spots in an otherwise dismal economic landscape.

I would also include Monongalia in that group. I know some don't want to admit this, but facts are facts.

Old Today, 07:22 AM

394 posts, read 218,810 times
The biggest problem with certain parts of WV is that the people living in those parts not only have no idea of what it is like in other parts of the US but they have no idea about what’s going on in other parts of WV. And I’m right on the edge of the coalfields. My in-laws are deep in them. It’s not that they are bad people or stupid but most of the folks I interact with there don’t have a clue.

I’m not taking a political angle here. What I’m saying is that they have a poor understanding of economics and how the world works. When the coal jobs and timber jobs and chemical plant jobs were here that was enough to get by. Now it’s not.

Old Today, 08:52 AM

406 posts, read 362,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnNada View Post
I would though honestly think that building that type of plant would make a whole heck of a lot more sense in the chemical valley than the eastern pan handle. Sort of weird.
It's about access to other areas and that particular company's growth plans. You don't just build a plant 5 hours away from where you want just because other unrelated plants are there.

WV should be happy that the plant is going in Jefferson County and not MD or Harrisburg/Lehigh Valley
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or