U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2018, 12:09 AM

870 posts, read 535,351 times

Advertisements

I just wonder if mosquitoes are plentiful in WV. Would the rainy forests in the middle-Eastern part of the state have more?

For example Florida and Alaska seem to have the most or hungriest. If you're outside during summer in any forested area you will be attacked within a few minutes. Texas is just about as bad.

Washington State's forests seem to have none!

I find them really annoying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2018, 07:22 AM

1,483 posts, read 1,175,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestGuest View Post
I just wonder if mosquitoes are plentiful in WV. Would the rainy forests in the middle-Eastern part of the state have more?

For example Florida and Alaska seem to have the most or hungriest. If you're outside during summer in any forested area you will be attacked within a few minutes. Texas is just about as bad.

The whole state has them, but it seems the higher in elevation you go (especially the mountainous eastern area between WV, VA and MD) the less there are. Up at Coopers Rock (near Morgantown) there seems to be little to no mosquitos in my experience. But when I lived in the eastern panhandle, I lived somewhat near the river and there were always a good amount of mosquitos.

Old 12-12-2018, 08:53 AM

43 posts, read 22,863 times
Quote:

I'm not sure where you were in WA state, but I spent a lot of time out there in the woods and mountains with the military training. At dawn and dusk, any exposed part of your body would be crawling with mosquitoes. WA, OR, and UT were absolutely horrible for mosquitoes.

I've camped, trained, and traveled all through Europe, Middle East, North/Central/South America and I think that WV has about the fewest irritants as far as pests are concerned that I've experienced.

Old 12-12-2018, 09:48 PM

4,646 posts, read 7,766,969 times
Deer ticks are a bigger concern than mosquitoes out this way. Not saying there are not mosquitoes, but normally wearing some insect repellent and long sleeves/pants is all it takes to prevent being eaten alive.

As for Cooper's Rock, I suspect the near constant wind on the ridge top is reason there are none of the buggers up there. They are weak fliers.

Last edited by westsideboy; 12-12-2018 at 10:13 PM..

Old 12-13-2018, 12:44 AM

870 posts, read 535,351 times
Ack!I Googled Tick Maps -Where are deer ticks found? etc and West Virginia supposedly is very low on the list, but it does say they are spreading. Lyme disease ticks too.

Old 12-13-2018, 04:36 AM

77 posts, read 34,005 times
would insect repellent scare off mothman

Old 12-13-2018, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyvern-Quill View Post
would insect repellent scare off mothman

Do people still spot him? I thought he went back to his home dimension after the bridge collapse.

Old 12-13-2018, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Ack!I Googled Tick Maps -Where are deer ticks found? etc and West Virginia supposedly is very low on the list, but it does say they are spreading. Lyme disease ticks too.
The maps would know more than I would.........but the eastern part of WV is certainly in the "Lyme zone" although it does seem that most of the state is considered "low risk."

Old 12-13-2018, 10:04 PM

77 posts, read 34,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post

Do people still spot him? I thought he went back to his home dimension after the bridge collapse.

I think he may have gone back but his daughter is still hear as a Harbinger of fortean inspired graphic t shirts at reasonable prices

Old Today, 05:39 PM

9,472 posts, read 11,696,262 times
I lived for years in the northern NYC suburbs in New York and Connecticut. They have far more mosquitoes than we do anywhere in Mon County. In fact, in Morgantown I have never been bitten by one, but in Fairfield County CT it was a daily occurrence in warmer weather. You couldn't go any shadier place without being attacked in daytime, and at night they were rampant everywhere.

I realize that there are mosquitoes to be found here, but personally I haven't run across them.

We do have deer ticks, but again not as many as in the Northeast. Lyme is the name of the part of Connecticut where the disease originated. They are more plentiful there.

Last edited by CTMountaineer; Today at 06:09 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or