U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2019, 11:46 PM

4 posts, read 210 times

Advertisements

Am thinking of moving to Loudoun from Shepherdstown, WV. I don't agree with the direction the county is currently going (poor plastic development, heavy industry, crime). While I do think Jefferson is leaps and bounds better than Berkeley County, I just think Loudoun is better suited for me. To get anything done or get a good job, I have to go into Loudoun or towards Winchester anyways.

Anybody make this move have any insight? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2019, 07:55 AM

397 posts, read 219,723 times
I’ve lived in both Frederick and Loudoun In VA.

Loudoun is very expensive. I don’t know what your drive is like but you might want to look at adjacent counties to get more bang for your buck.

One thing that I like about VA is that their development doesn’t tend to be as much Helter Skelter as in WV. Maybe better zoning laws or something.

Old Yesterday, 08:27 PM

535 posts, read 780,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger175 View Post
Am thinking of moving to Loudoun from Shepherdstown, WV. I don't agree with the direction the county is currently going (poor plastic development, heavy industry, crime). While I do think Jefferson is leaps and bounds better than Berkeley County, I just think Loudoun is better suited for me. To get anything done or get a good job, I have to go into Loudoun or towards Winchester anyways.

I saw your post but haven't had the time to respond to it until now.

I lived in Ranson for six years 2008- 2014. I bought a townhome in Fairfax Crossing hoping that the surrounding area would be built up with shops, restaurants and box stores lessening my need to travel out of the county for shopping and entertainment.

It didn't happen. Ranson looks pretty much the way it did in 2008. A lot of the stores that said they were coming in went to Martinsburg. I soon found that I would have to travel out of my way to go to my preferred stores Target, Costco, Sam's, Lowes, Lidl, Alamo Drafthouse, Carmike Cinemas, Best Buy, Wegmans, Dave and Busters, The Fresh Market, Whole Foods, Staples, Comic book shops etc.

I liked the fact that my mortgage and property taxes were cheap but the disadvantage was the wear and tear on my vehicles because of the long driving distances especially to work. I tolerated it for six years and then got fed up and moved back to Northern Virginia.

I now live in Leesburg. I am within WALKING distance of my preferred stores and restaurants and LOVE it. But as the previous poster said it is expensive here- but that is the price you pay for the convenience. Sure my mortgage and property taxes are higher- but everything I want is right here including Verizon FiOS (their Internet is to die for).

There is also less wear and tear on my vehicles because my commute to work is now only 20 minutes (I work in Ashburn.)

In conclusion it depends on what you are looking for. Some want to get away from the congestion and the hustle and bustle. (But the jobs are here in the Northern Virginia and the DC metro. So you will have to put up with the traffic if you want the $$$.)

For me I want CONVENIENCE. I don't want to have to drive through 20 hells to get to my favorite stores, shops and restaurants. I also love this area. Some find the cookie cutter houses and shopping plazas annoying. I for one don't. I am a Buffalo/Niagara Falls NY refugee- where urban decay was the norm. Believe me cookie cutter is much better than urban decay and urban blight (hey look another set of abandoned houses from the 1900's...)

Anyway just my two cents.

Old Today, 12:01 PM

1,290 posts, read 3,372,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger175 View Post

I guess it really comes down to what 'more' you are looking for and what you are willing to trade for it. Loudoun is a large county with pretty sharp differences between east and west. The only common denominator is both are much more expensive than Jefferson- i.e. what you pay for a single family house in Charles Town or Ranson will likely only yield a townhouse in Loudoun locales like Ashburn, the Dulles area or Leesburg. If you want a Shepherdstown vibe on a much larger scale, then living in downtown Leesburg could be a great (albeit more expensive) option. A lot of nice bars/ restaurants and centrally located.

Eastern Loudoun is one of the fastest growing parts of the country and has been for a while- in my opinion it feels largely 'cookie cutter' as well since most of the development has come in over the past 20 years. There are certainly more dining and retail options and it is closer to the major job centers of the region but traffic is also much worse. The arrival of the Silver Line Metro extension into Ashburn and completion of some new road projects coming online in the next year or two may help but when you are growing at the rate that areas is, any relief tends to only last for so long.

Most of Western Loudoun outside of communities like Purcellville and Round Hill is zoned to really low densities. It is very common for zoning to be one house every 3- 5 or more acres which again makes housing way more expensive. There are also fewer road connections to the job centers in the East which means you will either be paying the high tolls on the Dulles Greenway/ Toll Road or sitting in traffic along Route 9/ 7.

One area you could look into that is somewhat of a hybrid of the East/ West is the Aldie area along Route 50. I have some friends who just built a house out there and on a recent trip to visit, I noticed there was at least be some green space in between the developments. That being said I also noticed a lot of farmland starting to be cleared, homes under construction and plenty of 'coming soon' signs so it might not last. The traffic along Route 50 was pretty brutal and that was a weekend.

You definitely have choices - but if I lived in Jefferson and even remotely enjoyed the atmosphere and didn't want to pay a lot more, I'd probably be looking more towards the Winchester/ Stephens City area.

Last edited by NOVAmtneer82; Today at 12:11 PM..

Old Today, 08:31 PM

4 posts, read 210 times
Thank you all for the helpful and generous replies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or