U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2019, 04:11 PM

4,801 posts, read 7,909,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAEER View Post
Weirton, Wheeling, Beckley and Charleston all make appearances on the list of 25 fastest shrinking cities:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...ents/39199277/
Don't forget us.

10. Cumberland, MD-WV
2010-2017 population change: -4.2 percent (from 103,161 to 98,837)
2010-2017 pop. change due to migration: -2,556
Largest 12 month change: -794 (2011-2012)
Median household income: $45,808

WV is part of our metro as well. That would make 1/5 of the list metros that contain part of WV. And, yes, I do find that news very depressing. Seemingly no end in sight to the depopulation issue, even after 70 years of loss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2019, 09:31 AM

380 posts, read 386,122 times
West Virginia is a gorgeous state when it comes to scenery. I really enjoyed driving throughout West Virginia a few times.

I have lived in Mississippi (ranks dead last in almost everything) and currently living in Arkansas (ranks 48th or 49th in most categories similar to West Virginia).

It is what you makes the most out of it. People will pick up fast if you hate their beloved state by constantly talking and thinking that the grass is greener at the other side. It is a big turnoff and it can cause you not having any friends in new places.

Old Yesterday, 11:24 PM

9,606 posts, read 11,913,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
Don't forget us.

10. Cumberland, MD-WV
2010-2017 population change: -4.2 percent (from 103,161 to 98,837)
2010-2017 pop. change due to migration: -2,556
Largest 12 month change: -794 (2011-2012)
Median household income: $45,808

WV is part of our metro as well. That would make 1/5 of the list metros that contain part of WV. And, yes, I do find that news very depressing. Seemingly no end in sight to the depopulation issue, even after 70 years of loss.
Western MD needs to get onboard with full promotion of expanding I-68 from Morgantown to Moundsville. If that happens, it would be a game changer for Cumberland. First, it would give the area better access to oil and gas raw materials from the Ohio Valley, and second I-76 (the PA Turnpike) is massively overburdened with no solution in sight since the tunnels restrict expansion opportunities. Expanding I-68 would divert a lot of the current I-76 traffic from DC/Baltimore, which goes right past Hancock, through Cumberland and Morgantown bringing Breezewood like business in terms of petroleum sales, restaurants, and hotels.

Old Today, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
Western MD needs to get onboard with full promotion of expanding I-68 from Morgantown to Moundsville. If that happens, it would be a game changer for Cumberland. First, it would give the area better access to oil and gas raw materials from the Ohio Valley, and second I-76 (the PA Turnpike) is massively overburdened with no solution in sight since the tunnels restrict expansion opportunities. Expanding I-68 would divert a lot of the current I-76 traffic from DC/Baltimore, which goes right past Hancock, through Cumberland and Morgantown bringing Breezewood like business in terms of petroleum sales, restaurants, and hotels.
This is a good point. For whatever reason, our local politicians have been obsessed with North/South road improvements, especially Rt. 219 and Rt. 220.

I can't say I have ever heard a local politician raise this issue.........probably because this improvement would be all in WV. No real way for other states to angle in to the conversation, like we do with PA and WV on the N/S roads.

Old Today, 09:50 AM

419 posts, read 381,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
Not this again. They're not going to spend several billion dollars to connect a redundant interstate through the middle of nowhere to a dying town of 9,000 people

Old Today, 12:35 PM

1,390 posts, read 3,432,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 304eer View Post
Not this again. They're not going to spend several billion dollars to connect a redundant interstate through the middle of nowhere to a dying town of 9,000 people
I agree. It's a redundant route- The PA Turnpike already intersects with I-70 in New Stanton, Pa. Maryland can't even afford to make much needed and long overdue improvements to I-270 and the Capital Beltway corridors in the fast growing parts of the state (they are having to resort to P3 toll partnerships to fund construction) - let alone plow money into some highway to nowheresville USA.

Last edited by NOVAmtneer82; Today at 12:48 PM..

Old Today, 12:41 PM

But what other E/W connections needed to serve a sparsely populated area? Corridor H isn't N/S but it is fairly well south of Cumberland/ Keyser. Maybe if they could enhance 220 from Cumberland to link to H in Moorefield but not sure if the traffic counts are high enough to justify.

Old Today, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAmtneer82 View Post
I agree. It's a redundant route- The PA Turnpike already intersects with I-70 in New Stanton, Pa. Maryland can't even afford to make much needed and long overdue improvements to I-270 and the Capital Beltway corridors in the fast growing parts of the state (they are having to resort to P3 toll partnerships to fund construction) - let alone plow money into some highway to nowheresville USA.
I'm not sure this one has anything to do with Maryland's money. I-68 already runs from the WV line all the way to Hancock where it merges with I-70 east. I'm no expert on this, but would MD pay money for a road built in WV?

Our constant angle with Rt. 219 and Rt. 220 is that Maryland possesses relatively small parts of these roads (30 miles each or so) and we would need cooperation between PA and WV for any meaningful change to occur. Some progress has been made. Rt. 220 to the PA line from Cumberland is a fine road, then you hit PA and it is back to 2-lanes without much shoulder and lots of truck traffic. Not fun to drive on at all.

Old Today, 04:48 PM

That was my entire point- CT said that western MD needed to get onboard with the 68 extension to Moundsville- what else does that imply? Unless he was talking about simply lobbying someone (not sure FHA, state of WV etc) for that extension. Of course Maryland isnt going to pay for an extension in West Virginia. I was pointing out that even if they could they wouldnt because they cant even properly improve their own roads.

I agree 220 in PA between Maryland border and the Turnpike is a little rough at times. How is 219? Never taken that road

Last edited by NOVAmtneer82; Today at 05:19 PM..

Old Today, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAmtneer82 View Post
CT said that western MD needed to get onboard with the 68 extension to Moundsville- what else does that imply? Unless he was talking about simply lobbying someone (not sure FHA, state of WV etc) for that extension. That was my entire point- Of course Maryland isnt going to pay for an extension in West Virginia- I was pointing out that even if they could they wouldnt because they cant even properly improve their own roads.

I agree 220 in PA between Maryland border and the Turnpike is a little rough at times. How is 219? Never taken that road
Pretty hairy. I don't use most of it when I have need to access the PA turnpike. There are back road short cuts that are actually safer and less windy roads than Rt. 219 itself. PA has made progress on some parts, but other parts haven't been touched.

Well, personally, I had never thought that a WV extension of I-68 meant much. That said, I-68 is a competitor with the PA turnpike for big truck traffic, and if gas can hauled directly by trucks on I-68 from the northern panhandle all the way to Hancock, that would be a positive for the Cumberland MD/WV metro region, IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia