Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2019, 11:33 AM

1 posts, read 2,780 times

Advertisements

I have lived here my whole life and it actually made me so depressed that resently i turned emo but not the point. Part of it being so depressing is the buildings the drugs and all the horriable depressing things that they have laid on the poor teachers to worry about so heavly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2019, 12:27 PM

3,711 posts, read 2,691,854 times
Get outdoors more. WV is a beautiful state if you know where to look.

Old 03-08-2019, 11:48 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zalewskimm View Post
I agree with this advice. With Spring almost here I always found that a nice long hike through the woods was the best cure for what ailed me emotionally/spiritually. There's nothing quite like the scent of damp moss in the air; the noise of a distant woodpecker; seeing a chipmunk scoot across the path in front of you; etc. to make you smile and feel more at ease. Oh, and while you should bring your cell phone in case of an emergency (i.e. slip & fall, bear attack, etc.) by all means do everything you can to NOT be on it while in the woods! I blame the rise of social media for a corresponding rise in depression in our society. Take a break from the phone. Go out in the woods! Just be careful of ticks!

Old 03-08-2019, 01:30 PM

6,070 posts, read 9,091,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zalewskimm View Post
I agree 100%!

There is plenty of things in this state as a whole that can bring joy and satisfaction. Hiking Wild and Wonderful puts things into perspective for me personally!

Old 03-08-2019, 01:38 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times
OP You lived in WV your Whole life & been depressed. I suggest 1 See a dr for Depression. Its Real... 2 Move to a new State.

Old 03-08-2019, 01:56 PM

583 posts, read 592,489 times
Living in WV is basically like living in an alternate reality. As a whole I’m not sure you can say that the state is participating in the 21st century.

Aside from that I agree with what everyone is telling you. Get out. Hike or walk. Find something that gets you moving. I would also suggest weekend trips out-of-state. This will expose you to new places, people and ideas. It makes living in WV easier when you are not stuck here all the time. The winters in WV are quite depressing. Surrounded by barren vegetation, gray skies and the cold. You need to get outside and possibly out of WV.

Old 03-08-2019, 03:45 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,607,688 times
WV is not called Almost Heaven for nothing. I have been allover the world (traveling) & lived in a number states, yet WV stands out THE most. Yes, depression & drug use is rampant but those factors are all over the world -- let alone the US.

2nd, don to earth folk can't be found ANYWHERE else like in WV. They'll give shirt off back if needed. Cannot find that anywhere else w/ out a price, so to speak.

3rd, it is the least hassled govt state from the many I lived in, period. This from buying or renting to registering a vehicle to paying taxes to shopping to lower crime (again, depends where, when, etc.) but most states have real probs w/ high crime rates & high costs.

Yes, pollution is higher in spots in WV & other things make it not Utopia but show me a better overall qual of liv & I'll bet no one can. Schools at grad level are yet affordable vs other states jacked to the hilt ripoff tuitions.

I could go on but suffice saying OP, if you don't like it anymore do what I was told, "Go anywhere else & I'll bet you'll miss & want come back to WV". No place like it in the 50 we got. Even Europe can't beat it unless you have a billion $ net worth, lol.

Then by all means head to Switzerland.

Old 03-08-2019, 05:03 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,036,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magixraid View Post
I have lived here my whole life and it actually made me so depressed that resently i turned emo but not the point. Part of it being so depressing is the buildings the drugs and all the horriable depressing things that they have laid on the poor teachers to worry about so heavly
You are painting an entire state with a very broad brush. I suggest you drive around in various parts of it. You will discover that is not at all the case. Of course, in parts of it you will have a very hard time driving because the state has put Alfred E. Newman in charge of highways, but you'll get the idea.

Old 03-08-2019, 05:27 PM

8,196 posts, read 2,841,675 times
It has been quite a few years since I was there but it was beautiful.

Old 03-10-2019, 05:32 PM

1,383 posts, read 2,509,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magixraid View Post
I am curious as to where in WV you live and what parts of WV you have visited.

This will greatly help me understand your statement and help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia